Watched - Cover

Watched

Copyright© 2009 by Holdred

Chapter 13

They left the main river and headed up the creek feeding into it. John and Sarah looked up at the mountains. Sarah asked, "John aren't we near Denver or maybe Golden? Isn't that Lookout Mountain?"

"Yes dear, I think your right. I wonder if that fort up ahead is where we are going. Girls, you have been here before, is that log fort up there new?"

"I don't know what a fort is but that wall of logs is new," replied Little Doe.

"Is that where we are going to live?" asked Twin Bird.

"If that wall is the side of our house it's too big. Why are there funny wood huts on the corners and where is the front door?" asked Little Doe.

"Slow down, that wall is a big fence around our house and buildings. Those huts are places for people to look out for trouble. They have roofs to keep off the sun and rain. I don't know which side has the door but you are right it's not this one."

As they approached, they could tell the east and south walls had no gate. When they moved to the west, side there was a large gate. As their procession approached, the gate opened by itself. They pulled in. John and Sarah were in awe. There were several stone and mortar buildings. There were storage buildings build against the log wall all around the inside. Each of the stone buildings had a stone walk going to it from a main walkway that was stone circling the central "Parade" area. They parked in the open area. At the far side was a two-story structure. With all the windows, they guessed that it was their new house.

When John's hand touched the doorknob, all of them got a message to go to the family room for a meeting. When they looked around Sarah figured the family room must be the large room with padded seats and couches there was a fireplace at one-end and computer desks off to one side. As they settled themselves, a projection screen lit up one wall.

"Greetings, I am your new AI. My job is to protect this compound and your family. As far as I know, it is the safest area on the planet. The outer wall even though it looks like logs, is synthetic. It will not burn or melt. It is totally projectile proof. The upper edge has a field that repels ladders, ropes and can't be climbed. Each storage-shed is also fireproof. This house is as durable as we know how to make. It will survive a small nuclear device. From the basement in this building, there is a tunnel that leads to the other buildings. Also off the tunnel are several rooms that can be used to hold your arsenal. Your house and the tunnel can only be accessed by your family. The doors will not open for anyone else."

"Isn't this going a little overboard?" asked Sarah.

"Our predictors indicate you will be attacked many times, several times by whites that are upset about you stealing their business with the Indians. Several of the tribes will probably attack you. We wanted you to be as safe as we could make you seeing the investment we have in you."

"What are all the extra buildings for?" Twin Bird piped up.

The screen projected a drawing of the compound. "Over on this side we have the foundry and smelter for refining metals. Next, we have the blacksmith and metal shop. Last is the woodworking shop. On this other side, we have the barn. Then we have the garage for all your vehicles. Right next to the house here, we have the jewelry and goldsmith shop. Behind these buildings over here is a normal well. This empty space here is big enough to build a pavilion so any workers can prepare their food and eat out of the rain and snow. These storage buildings over here could easily be modified to be living quarters for help if they need them. One last point, the sidewalks I have put in will melt any snow that falls on them. Is there anything you see I really need to change?"

John studied a moment. "I do have a couple of suggestions. Why don't you put one of your heated sidewalks around the edge just in front of the storage room doors and some connecting walks between the two sets. In addition, it would be a good idea to go ahead and make the pavilion you were talking about and put some picnic tables in it."

Sarah spoke up, "Can we look around at everything and get back to you about changes?"

"Yes, dear lady that would be fine, bring me a list of what you want done."

"Why do you have such a different personality than the other two?"

"When it was decided that you would need your own full time AI, They decided it should have a more complete programming than the other two have. You see the other two also monitor communications, satellite feeds and control the moon base research. They were only dedicating a portion of their time to you."

"Well if you are going to be with us you need a name. What do you think of Art?"

"Fair lady it would be my honor to be called that."

"Can you contact us through the ear buds?" asked John.

"Yes that would be no problem sir. Since your lady wife named me just speak Art and I will respond."

"How far can you reach?"

"They have a tested range of more than 300,000 miles. They can reach anywhere on earth from anywhere on the moon."

"Do they allow anything besides communication?"

"Yes, they allow me to monitor your biometrics as well."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.