Watched - Cover

Watched

Copyright© 2009 by Holdred

Chapter 12

The next morning the family talked about the plans John had formed in his mind on the way back. He thought it would be a good idea to set up a permanent trading post at the winter camp. Sarah agreed that it sounded like a good idea also. The girls really didn't care as long as they were all together, but they had no idea how to get there.

This time it was john that noticed the glow by the computers. He and Sarah went over to see what they wanted this time.

"John and Sarah, we see our faith in you has not been misplaced. If you had all summer to build, you would find it difficult to have made a significant dent in what you must build. It would take you tears just for the building alone. From John's background, we know he would rather use his hands to make crafts instead of make buildings. We gave you all those supplies so no matter what you did you would have a chance for survival. If you will allow us, we would be happy to build you a compound with a comfortable home and workshops. We could even include a building for the clinic if you wish. The material in your trailer would be transported for you so it would be available for moving the tribe's excess goods."

They sat there stunned looking at the screen. You probably could have knocked either one down with a feather. She closed her mouth first and asked, "Why didn't you mention any of this to us before?"

"The probabilities indicated you would develop an attachment to the tribe we put you near and almost as probably stay with them for your trading post. They are members of a much larger nation that has found that the principles of trade and working together are better for all than just counting coup for personal glory. We wish these policies established now so prejudice will not grow rampantly. Most of the so-called Indian peoples also believe in protecting nature. By having a strong central nation in this continent based on these principles, it can be an example for the rest of the world and this world may not end up in as bad a shape as ours was."

John said, "That doesn't answer the question. Why didn't you mention any of this before?"

"It is unethical for us to tell you what to do. The only thing we are allowed to do is help you when your ideas match our purposes. You may come up with something even better than we would guess. The human mind can make amazing strides without enough information. In addition, John's drive was lacking he questioned even his right to exist here. Until he was fully committed to his family and committed to make things work, we could say almost nothing. We have taken the liberty to put a waypoint of your new home in both GPS units. Do you have questions?"

They shock their heads no.

"All right may we make a suggestion?"

"Please do."

"We would like to move the supplies tonight if we may. We will leave the armory but we hope you don't need it. The compound will be ready in three days. The fastest you can get there will be a week. We suggest you leave in two or three days so you have time to get settled before any of the tribes get back. We will be available for questions now. If you have any during the trip or when you get there we will answer all we can."

John and Sarah joined the sisters with stunned expressions on their faces.

Little Doe immediately asked, "What's wrong? You look like you received news that someone will die."

He reassured her, "Nothing is wrong we were just very surprised with the news we were given."

"John," he suddenly heard in his ear. "Are you firmly and fully committed to these girls to be part of your family forever?"

"Yes"

"Good, in the drawer under the left computer you will find ear buds for each of them. Give those to them before they go to bed. We will do a complete health scan on them to make them as healthy as possible."

He smiled to himself, 'Things aren't so bad here I may end up liking things right well.'

He spotted the chief, "Excuse me Screaming Eagle may I speak with you a moment?"

"Yes John, what do you need?"

"I thought you should know we will be leaving in three days time. We will be heading to the winter campground. We can take anything people want us to carry in that white trailer. If it gets full we can use the smaller open trailer for buffalo robes. We will make a mark on each hide so we know what belongs to each person. We can also take stored winter food in the red cross trailer. This should be communal food as we have no way of marking food."

"That is good news John, I will make sure to spread the word."

John watched as his friend went over to Prairie Flower and told her the news. He smiled as he went back to his own family's preparation of the meat they brought back yesterday. The second animal was butchered, he needed to help finish wrapping the meat for freezing while the sisters butchered the last one.

That afternoon when they had finished with their project, Sarah saw Yellow Flower and remembered the warning she had given. She approached and said, "Yellow Flower I wish to thank you for the warning you gave me for my family. Everything in it was true and we overcame all of the problems you foresaw. With the spirit you showed, might we bury the hatchet and become friends, you and I, as well as your family and mine? I would treat your opinion as that of a dear and trusted friend."

She could tell from her expression that Yellow Flower was unprepared for this show of friendship. She cleared her voice and spoke, "Sarah, it is good that you and your family are here safe. You do the tribe great service carrying skins and food for the tribe to the winter campground. It would be my honor to be your friend and to have our families become friends."

Sarah gave her a necklace she and John had made using a leather thong twisted with gold wire and a thunderbird etched on a red stone in a golden wire wrap cage.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.