Watched - Cover

Watched

Copyright© 2009 by Holdred

Chapter 11

John woke early that morning and got up to fix breakfast for his wonderful ladies. Even though they hadn't gotten much sleep the night before he had a wonderful attitude this morning. His family was together!

During breakfast he went over what he wanted accomplished the next few days. First, he wanted to get information out of those computers as to what is going on. Next, his family needed to get what metal they could out of the deposit After that, they needed to take the horses to the tribe.

John and Sarah headed back to the computers while Little Doe and Twin Bird went out to gather.

At the computers both systems were on and waiting for them. "Good Morning John." "Good Morning Sarah."

"All right, tell us what's going on!"

"The story is long and convoluted in detail but short in essence. We will try to make clear what you must know first then you can ask questions. Alright?"

They agreed.

"Our world in the future is destroying itself. Prejudice and aggression were rampant and there was no strong leader nation that was exempt. Anything became an excuse to be a target for persecution. Race, religion, economic status, even how smart you were, anything could make you a target. No one cared about our resources, the attitude of we want it now, could not be overcome.

"Our technology far exceeded our social conscious. Almost everyone's attitude is that the government should take care of them and leisure activities were all that they needed to do. Farming and ranching had become automated. Weather control perfected. There was more of the earth's surface usable than ever before but there were more people too.

"Somewhere along the line the birth rate started dropping. It was caused by a combination of pollution and slight gene mutation. No one worried because even with the pollution and less habitable living space there were fewer people. The prevailing attitude was since it didn't bother ME, I don't care. As you can guess this was a hell of an attitude. That's where earth was headed straight to hell.

"Now as you can guess by the fact we are having this conversation, there was a group that did not hold with this attitude. They did not want humankind to die out. There was an enclave that promoted self worth & education. They had to hide. Eventually they established a base on the moon. From this base they were able to explore many as yet open fields of science.

"They found it was possible to move objects through time. Yes, before you ask, objects only not living things. The spark that is in all of you dies when it moves far out of its own time stream. The bodies arrived in fine shape but soon stopped breathing because they had no soul. They found they could send AI probes through time and explore. They also found a way to travel and explore dimensions.

"Now there was one more thing that was discovered by accident. A soul that met its end tragically in one dimension could sometimes jump the dimensional boundary and inhabit a body of its own DNA makeup that was in a coma and bring it to life. This phenomenon was studied in depth. You both being here are a result of those studies."

"So you are an AI?" Stuttered John.

""You didn't kill us in the other dimension did you?" Sarah asked.

"Relax, first yes we are AI's. We did not kill you. A study was made of accident victims and you were picked as a pair that could cooperate and work together. We arranged to get your DNA to make clones of you here along with making your equipment. We have been watching you since you have arrived and have been concerned about John's reactions. We are happy that he is stable now. That is one reason we have revealed this much information too you."

He replied, "So you have plans for us do you?"

"Of course we have plans, but before you even ask, I can't tell you what they are yet."

John started another retort but noticed the screens had shut them selves off.

"Dear," Sarah said calmly, "I had noticed that you were having problems adjusting as well. This last adventure, which by the way I do not want to repeat, seems to have successfully pulled you into the here and now."

Kissing her gently, he replied, "Three lovely ladies don't hurt either."

"Let's go help our mates outside."

They had learned their lessons. They all wore their pistols while taking turns on top of the trailer guarding with a rifle.

It took them a week to clean out the pocket of metal. By the end of that week, they were tired of digging as well as tired of frozen food. Also by the end of the week, it had become apparent that Twin Bird loved the horses. She groomed then with care and watched over them as they grazed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.