Watched - Cover

Watched

Copyright© 2009 by Holdred

Chapter 6

Life in the village continued on in its even pace. John and Sarah learned many things from the tribe and they in turn taught and helped with what they could. One morning, before dawn three weeks after the great hunt, as they called it, John and Sarah were awakened by an abrupt knocking on the door of their camper.

Storms Eye and Screaming Eagle were both at the door looking very serious when John answered. They asked John to have him and Sarah both hurry and come with them. They dressed quickly, and joined the two leaders outside the camper. They were led to the center of the village.

The entire tribe had gathered. John and Sarah were invited to join as members of the tribe, in recognition for all the help they had given. They were asked at dawn because they came out of the east and as a symbol of beginning as the new day begins so their membership would begin.

When John and Sarah consented to join, the shaman brought out a buffalo robe painted with the sun in the center and colors of the four seasons around it and placed it around John shoulders. Sarah was given a dress made from deerskin, with beadwork. John and Sarah were both surprised at all of this and appreciated what the tribe had done. At the close of the ceremony the chief let them know that since the herd had moved, they would be moving also, tomorrow.

John and Sarah watched the tribe's activities as the women went to gather more herbs and vegetables. The men checked all their weapons to make sure they were all ready.

Yellow Flower and Prairie Flower came over to talk to them. "John," Yellow Flower said, "we have decided that for all the help you and your wife have contributed..."

At this point Sarah interrupted, "But I am not his wife."

Prairie Flower replied sharply, "Do you mean you are not his, and wish one of our braves, instead?"

Sarah quietly said, "No. John is the only one I would consider for a husband."

"Very well then, do not interrupt," Yellow Flower continued. "We feel that Sarah is not skilled in our ways, and you need more help. We wish you to take Twin Bird and Little Doe into your house as wives, also. You may not know this but they are sisters. Their father was the old chief. Their mother died years ago in childbirth. Their only brother died when their father was killed. They have no family. You have no trouble hunting and providing for more than one. They should be your wives."

With this Twin Bird and Little Doe stepped forward with hopeful expressions on their faces.

John looked stunned. He glanced at Sarah, trying to get her opinion on this matter. She shrugged her shoulders slightly.

He thought to himself, 'Great no matter what I do I will hurt someone.'

Before he could say anything, Prairie Flower made a motion. Several ladies brought piles of skins.

"Here are the skins from the buffalos you have killed, as well as the coyotes Sarah killed. It has been decided they should be yours, to start you new household. That teepee will be yours as well. It is where Twin Bird and Little Doe had been living with their family and it is not right that they should not have it and its contents."

John knew he was in trouble. He did not want three wives. He was not raised that way. He did not need the skins or the possessions of Twin Bird and Little Doe, but to refuse would gravely insult all these women. If he accepted he realized he might badly hurt Sarah.

John made his decision. "Ladies, this is a matter that is difficult. Where we came from men did not have more than one wife. We, however, are not there anymore. I wish to talk to Sarah a moment please. Then I will give you my decision."

John drew Sarah off to the side.

"Sarah did you mean what you said a moment ago?"

She shyly nodded her head.

"Oh, Sarah, I love you so much," he said as he hugged her tightly. "By all the customs I have seen in this tribe, we must take them into our household. If I don't eventually take them to bed, they will be outcasts, since they have no relatives to care for them. However, I would never want to hurt you. If you say so, we will head west to find another tribe, instead. That will remove ourselves from this problem."

"Oh, John, there are time I forget how foolish men can be. Of course we can't leave them to fend for themselves, or be outcasts. In the last weeks those two have become real friends. If truth be known, they probably came up with this idea, not the Flowers. They knew when it was time for a trek, they would be on their own. This is their solution. Don't you like them at least a little bit?"

"Of course I like them, but I don't love them. There are also way too young."

"John they are 14 and 16. In this time, that is definitely of an age to be married."

"BUT" he sputtered.

"No, John. Go and agree, before you really hurt them."

John returned, "I will accept them into my family as you wish. I thank you for the gifts and only hope that I will be able to care for them as they deserve." He moved to hug each Little Doe and Twin Bird and lead them over to where Sarah was waiting. Sarah also hugged them and went with them to their teepee to see what they had.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.