Destination Azahar - Cover

Destination Azahar

Copyright© 2009 by deGaffer

Chapter 12: Planning Ahead

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 12: Planning Ahead - How does a colony get ready to take on immigrants? Take a ride with a country boy and a businesswoman from Mississippi and find out how they managed to create a manufacturing sanctuary after being dropped on a backwater planet. Diverse groups converge and turn a barely habitable planet into a Mecca of culture and technology.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Ma/ft   mt/Fa   Fa/Fa   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Mult   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Science Fiction   Space   Incest   Orgy   Harem   First   Oral Sex   Anal Sex  

Kozlowski was surprised and elated when he contacted Dothan upon entering normal space near Haru. His orders had changed in the three weeks it took to get from Azahar to Haru. He was ordered to collect his original pods and begin mapping the Orion Spur.

Mission reports from an expedition deep into Sa'arm space were examined by Nic who advised Kozlowski to study them. These reports included detailed surveys for about a dozen planetary systems and observation data on several hundred other stars that probably had planets. Kozlowski was very excited by such a profound amount of unexpected data and called everyone to the CIC to share the treasure trove of celestial jewels.

It was a challenge for enough crew members to break away from studying and analyzing data that could only excite an astronomer, to safely park Copernicus into orbit and rendezvous with the station that was holding their pods. As soon as the pods were being shuffled by the dock workers to accommodate the radio telescope pods in their operational positions, Kozlowski asked his four officers to join him in the wardroom.

Ensign Johnson started speaking even before everyone was seated. "I've looked at the positions of the newly mapped stars and don't believe we should deviate from our original path through the Spur, but the data does impact the stars we want to concentrate on with our own observations."

"Thank you, Mr. Johnson," Kozlowski commented formally, but the effect was torpedoed by his laughter and follow-up, "It's good to know that navigation is your priority, since you are our navigator. I believe that the rest of us are as excited about these reports as you, but our first priority is to ensure we have all of the instruments and information we need to take advantage of the new data. Mr. Atanas?"

Atanas opened the discussion with, "Our telescope array is far superior to anything carried by the ships making these reports. However, they had some rather sophisticated instrumentation for detecting hyperspace anomalies and gravitational disturbances. We should consider adding these instruments to our kit before leaving. The ability to add black holes and rogue bodies to the new charts could be extremely valuable. We might also consider installing a machine shop next to the shuttle bay in the multi-purpose pod and pack several tons of raw materials below the machine shop and the shuttle bay in case we need to manufacture new equipment or make major changes or repairs to the existing equipment."

Ensign Stayton added, "We could lay in additional stores and manufacture these instruments during the three-month jump to our first observation position. We wouldn't have to delay our departure waiting for these items to be built and installed."

"Are we in that much of a hurry, Mr. Stayton?" Kozlowski was again chuckling. His crew was reverting to excited teenagers getting ready for their first prom. "I'm as anxious to get out of reach as the rest of you before a stray admiral decides to give us another errand to run, but I'd like to be certain that we're prepared before we skip town."

"The additional instruments and base data from these reports will impact our original observation plan," Ensign Wallaby interjected. "We can use these observations and following visits to refine and calibrate our sightings. Being able to compare our observations with actual data from these planetary system surveys is a very exciting prospect."

When everyone had been given an opportunity to speak, Captain Kozlowski made specific assignments to each officer. He and Atanas had a good bit of work ahead of them as they rewrote the plan for each scheduled observation position.

While he was in as big a hurry to get started as anyone else aboard Copernicus, Captain Kozlowski opted to have the new instrumentation installed and calibrated by professionals. It only delayed their departure by two weeks and gave him greater confidence in the reliability of the instruments and the integrity of his ship. He balanced his concern about being diverted by another special project against the safety of his crew and success of their mission.

Rather than carrying a large supply of supraluminal drones, Ensign Stayton suggested that they only load a dozen. They could construct additional drones as they were used. They would need five times the twelve they would keep on hand for the five-year mission they were initiating. Kozlowski agreed, provided that they built one and tested it before leaving Haruat.

Kozlowski took up a bit more valuable space in the multi-purpose pod with two additional medical treatment capsules. They were going to be very far away and would be delivering several babies over the next five years. Ten of the dependents would reach their majority during the mission. They would need to have CAP tests administered before returning to a colony. The ship's AI, Nic, assured him that they had complete files and protocols on Copernicus for administering the tests. Even with the CAP tests administered on Copernicus, the new adults might or might not receive an opportunity to form independent family units aboard Copernicus before the ship returned to Haruat.

Captain Kozlowski asked his first officer to join him for a private meeting while the dock technicians were installing the new sensors and integrating them into the CIC displays. "Alec, I've been thinking about the attachment Kim and Roni seemed to have made with Frank, and I'm a bit concerned."

"I'm sure it was only puppy love, Captain; nothing to worry about," Atanas assured his Captain. "They may not be happy about us not returning to Azahar before disappearing for five years, but they'll get over it."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.