Junkin Duncan
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

In the morning I could hear the two little girls telling Angelina all about their week in school. They missed their mother, but with the love that everyone here at the ranch was lavishing on them, they weren't sad or lonely. I asked if we were going to church today.

"No, Junkin. What I would like to do is take a ride up the old trail so we can look down into the valley where the old ghost town is located. I wish it was more accessible for it is a beautiful place."

"This means horses doesn't it?"

"Yes, it is five miles to the top of the ridge. We don't have time to hike it this afternoon. You ought to get more practice on a horse. You're still one of those eastern tenderfoots."

"Maybe, but think of the poor horse." This brought an explosive round of laughter from everyone including the little girls. They knew I was just making excuses. It was decided that Angelina, Mom, Juan and I would go. Mom had been up there several times in her youth before going east. Amy and Amelia wanted to go, but Angelina said no, not this time. She promised sometime before snow, we would take tents and go camp in the valley.

It was a beautiful clear day. When we reached the top of the ridge we got off the horses and walked around enjoying the awesome vistas; both back to the southeast and the ranch, and then due west down into the valley where the ghost town was located. Several tumbled down buildings were still visible. The valley consisted of about thirty acres that surrounded the town. I was interested, as the valley was nowhere near as low as the ranch we had come from. It was only about a mile from the top of the ridge to the old buildings.

We spent an hour and then turned and headed for home. I walked down ahead of the horse. No way was I confident enough to stay on something that if it stopped I would be going over its head. I watched Mom and Angelina. They were totally relaxed, laughing and conversing with each other. I guess it was a matter of trust you had in what you were seated on. Maybe next time.

The trail actually wasn't that steep, only at the switchbacks where you reversed directions. My mind, always active, studied the trail as I hiked along down. This could be made ATV accessible with a little work. Only two places would have to be blasted. One was where the kid lost his life the previous year in a dune buggy. If those two places were widened I would certainly feel safer on a four-wheeler than on the horse that was lumbering along behind me.

When we got back down to the lease, Mom and Angelina kicked their horses with their heels and raced for the ranch house, with Juan staying with me. We paused and watched and saw the two women, one over fifty and the other approaching thirty, arrive neck and neck. I don't know which one I was prouder of. The one I gloried in her love or the one that I had looked up to since I was a child. Anyway both belonged here. Now, more and more, I was feeling I did as well.

I took off Monday morning from the airport for a tour of seven ski areas in five states. Two of them were in the northeast. Mainly I wanted to see what equipment they used on the slopes. I didn't find the slopes as large as the one that we had here at the ranch. They had more trails and more land mass, but all trails were steeper and some very narrow. This slope that we had would be classified as more novice than anything else. I did get some insight as to what I needed. I returned to the western section of the country and after visiting three areas here, I figured I had all the information necessary.

I tentatively put a binder down on one snowpacker. It had four tracks and would also groom the slopes if they were too rough. I had looked at several snow cats made by various companies and estimated I would need at least three of these--four would be better. They all had some passenger capacity, but they would be used primarily for towing some sort of sled which would double the vehicles' load. They had various engines in them, but I was inclined to stick with diesel.

I stepped off the plane Friday evening and took a taxi to Angelina's house. I had left the Forester there before boarding the plane to tour the country. I had called her and she said she would be home at eight-thirty. I hadn't eaten and I was pretty tired, but when my Angel got out of her car, I was refreshed. Maybe Angelina felt the same. We kissed and I took her out to a small Italian restaurant. "What's the matter, don't you like Mexican?"

This was becoming a standing joke and I always answered with, "You're the only thing Mexican I like."

"So how did your trip go? Did you find out everything you needed to?"

"I think so. The snowpackers we need are costly, but by choosing older, but well maintained ones, I think we can manage with less than $250,000. Those will be the most single expensive items. All told we can get this thing going for under a half million."

Angelina looked at me as if I was crazy. "Junkin, you can't seriously be considering spending that kind of money. Christ, the interest alone will be thirty-five or forty thousand dollars a year. You'll lose the ranch if this project goes belly up."

"It would be that much if we borrowed it."

"Where's the money supposed to come from if you don't borrow it?" I sat there grinning at her. "Junkin, don't tell me you are worth that much? If you are, what are you doing here at Pa's ranch?"

I turned serious. "Angel, let me explain. For some reason I bought something that turned into being worth much more than I could dream of. At the time I sold it, I had just been kicked to the curb by someone I loved. I left to get away from having to remember her. I have found someone else to love and others that have come to love me. I have found happiness and I think I have given others happiness in return. I'd like to share.

"As far as the money is concerned, I have a lot of it. Kind of rounding figures off, I'm collecting somewhere around $50,000 a month for the next three and a half years. I had some money before I came into the fortune and that is what I have been using. Just since signing the papers and coming out here, my net worth has increased by $300,000."

"But why are you working so hard? You should enjoy it if you have that much."

"How? I have just been gone five days. I've flown first class and I've stayed in the best hotels. I've eaten in the best restaurants. I wasn't happy. I wanted every one of those days to be sitting across the table from Mom and Ezra and your two little girls. Tonight and everyday from now on I want to go to bed with you. How much more can I enjoy myself than that?

"To bring this into perspective. Say I give you a couple hundred thousand dollars. Would you give up finishing your schooling? Or will you give up working in the clinic? I will if that is what you want."

"You're bluffing. You wouldn't give me that much money."

I signaled a waiter. "Would you bring me a blank sheet of paper and an envelope?"

"Certainly Sir."

The paper came and I creased and tore off a quarter sheet of the paper. I took a pen and wrote along the top left corner, John Duncan, my telephone number and my address. I put the date to the right. I drew a line and wrote over it, pay to the order of Angelina Betite. I wrote in the amount under that, two hundred thousand dollars and no cents. I put the numerals to the right of that. Below that I signed my name, John Duncan. I listed the bank tracking number and the account number it was to be drawn on.

"That is a check for that amount and I guarantee it is good and you can cash it at any bank. The bank might question it so when you cash it, they might want verification from me. I'll freely give it." I slid it into the envelope and handed it across the table.

"Junkin, why did you do that?"

"You said I was bluffing. I never bluff where you are concerned."

My Angel sat across from me. The envelope was being held in her hands. She contemplated it. Then she looked at me. "You are right again about how I feel. I have worked so hard to get three-quarters of the way to my degree. I can't give it up now. As far as working at the clinic, I need the experience in a medical setting. Is this going to change us?"

"I don't see how."

Angelina opened the envelope, took the paper check and tore it into small pieces. Then she put it on her plate and poured the remains of her coffee on it and stirred it until it was just a soggy mess. "Maybe it will change us a little. It is getting late and I'm tired. You said you were too. I have to work tomorrow. You will have a lot of catching up to do at the ranch."

I guess the change she mentioned was presented by a little more intensity in what took place before we slept.

The ranch had not fallen to pieces while I was gone. In fact things had moved forward on all fronts. The holding pasture was all laid out with feed bunks and places for the cattle to drink. I was worried about the water. I studied the situation. The cattle were to drink from a small stream that came from a spring up the mountain a short distance. To be sure that the water would not be fouled, we built a small dam and laid some pipe down to the edge of the pasture. I had Paco and Juan build a trough that ran across the pasture where the stream normally ran. This was off the ground about two feet and twenty cattle at a time could drink from it. At the end of it the water dropped down into the stream bed and went on its normal way.

Other things were being done. The mobile home for Paco and Juan arrived and we set it up next to the bunkhouse. We had a great time putting the log siding on it. We had to extend the roof line. This had a peaked roof already so it was just a matter of loosening the drip edge and sliding some aluminum under it and having it supported by the logs. It wasn't too professional, but no one would notice if it wasn't pointed out.

Things were taking place in the house as well. We addressed what each apartment needed. I was satisfied with my room. It was much improved when new mattresses and bedding were purchased. Angelina's room was the largest and held the bunk beds for Amy and Amelia. They didn't want to change and Angelina said that she would just as soon wait for the building of her apartment in the spring.

We hired an attorney to settle ownership. Ezra still held title, but each of us owned shares in a corporation that was named Hogan's Hacienda. Everything but the real property was included in this up to and including the silverware and cooking dishes in the kitchen. Basically we were a commune, none of us drawing wages, but all of our necessities met through the ownership of the private property. I didn't own any more than the other residents here. However, I was still the manager, the investor and the banker. The attorney railed against my decision to make my dealings with the corporation unsecured. I flatly stated that I considered those on the Hogan ranch as family. I stared the lawyer down until he threw up his hands and went onto other aspects of the meeting.

I think Paco and Juan were the ones most excited. A year ago they were penniless looking for day work and spending what few quarters they had, if any, on a beer in some tavern. Now they had a nice home, no worries, and were being treated as equals by both their sister and their father. All they had to contribute was a few hours of willing work. Work they knew was appreciated.

The only steady income came from the beef jerky. Every week our sales increased and I began to think I would have to find something else we could sell to the same customers. Then I thought how busy it was going to be when and if the skiing venture took off. I didn't want to hire extra help and I didn't want to enlarge our little group. Of course if Paco and Juan came up with women, they would be considered.

It was two weeks until the poker weekend. I was going to have to find beds for fifty extra people. The bunkhouse would house twenty-five. The living room would take twelve. I finally decided, after talking with the sheriff, that I would have enough room for the rest to flop down in the four extra bedrooms we weren't using. The sheriff told me not to worry.

"We will start playing about seven on Friday night. By Saturday morning there will be at least eight out of money. The players will have breakfast and some will sleep, but not all. By Saturday evening more than half will be broke. I hope I'm not one of them. By Sunday morning, I predict there will be only seven or eight that still have enough on the table to make decent bets. Everyone will be gone by the afternoon.

"You have to remember that this is more of a social gathering than one for serious gambling. When they want to gamble they go to Vegas or some other place."

I took one day and made the trip back to where I had looked over the snowpackers. I had a mechanic from a local Caterpillar dealership with me to look at the vehicles. He was licensed as a diesel mechanic and was familiar of course with tracked vehicles. We looked at six of the snowpackers and he approved four. I intended to buy only three, but bought the fourth one when it was offered at half price. I made arrangements for transport and I was home that evening well satisfied with the progress I was making in getting things organized.

I sent payment off to the owner of the fifth vehicle I had put a binder down on and that was unloaded at the Caterpillar garage to be gone over thoroughly. I approached a sporting goods store and offered them the chance to open an outlet at the ranch to sell skiing equipment. They suggested that I have equipment to rent. I started shaking my head no, but when they mentioned the cut I would get for each rental, I agreed.

I wasn't involved in the selling of the ski equipment, except to provide space for sales and inventory. We had to use the bunkhouse. I looked toward the horse barn and three horses were staring at me. "I promise you will always have a home." They whickered! Can't have a ranch without horses.

It was for me to go the forty miles to see my Angel once during the week. She was committed to Saturday, eight or nine in the morning until two or three in the afternoon. She was still working some in the evenings, but the clinic realized that she had homework so she was able to cut her hours back to two hours. I timed my coming to town so I could take her out to dinner on Wednesday after her hours ended. Many of these dinners were short and just to catch up on what was happening. Then it was time to show our love for each other.

Weekends were for Amy and Amelia to reconnect with their mother. I understood this and more often than not, I was included, maybe staying slightly in the background while giving Angelina and the girls every chance at being a family. Amy, smaller and the youngest at five and a half, sometimes crawled onto my lap and let me hold her as Amelia talked about school and what was going on in her life. I felt we all were headed toward becoming a unit unto ourselves.

It did come to a head the last Sunday before the poker party. We had been talking for awhile and Amy was on my lap. "Mommy all the kids in my class have a daddy. I don't have one. I remember a man that I used to call Daddy, but that was a long time ago. Can I call Junkin Daddy sometimes? I really like him."

Amelia jumped on her. "Amy you can't call Junkin Daddy. I remember our father and he slept in the bed with Mom."

I could see that Angelina was without words. I spoke, "Girls, sometimes kids have dads that don't live with their moms, but they are still their father. Your dad died so you don't have one. Someday she might marry and then you would have a new dad. Amy, if you want to call me Daddy, I'll be your pretend one. Would that make you happy?"

I was reluctant to look at Angelina. This was another make or break situation in my relationship with my Angel. Would she agree to my becoming a pretend father or would this tear us apart and destroy the progress I had made up to this point?

"Amelia, how do you feel about Amy calling Junkin, Daddy? You remember your father and she doesn't."

"Okay I guess. He treats us as nice as Dad did and he doesn't yell at you all the time. When you get mad at Junkin and say mean things to him, he just agrees with you and then does something nice for you. But he agrees with you only until you understand that he was right all along and then you agree with him. Nellie told me that. Amy, give our pretend Daddy a kiss, it is time for bed."

Amelia came over and after I received a kiss from Amy she put an arm around my neck and kissed me. They disappeared into their room leaving Angelina and me looking after them.

"Was that a set-up?"

"I don't think so. Not by me anyway. Someone has been coaching them though. I guess it had to be Mom. I still don't know how you feel about me becoming their pretend Dad."

"I'm fine. Believe it or not, I couldn't be happier. I think it is time that we did the kissing." We awoke in the morning with two little girls standing beside my bed. We had talked about the future half the night and had dressed in our nightclothes. This wasn't intended, but after we made love, we had laid down for a few more minutes of closeness and fallen asleep.

Amelia remembering what she had told Amy last night said, "I guess you can be our real Dad now, you slept with Mom." I motioned for the little ones to climb onto the bed for happy hugs.


Ezra held court as the cars started arriving in the afternoon for the poker weekend. It was a jovial crowd. As they went to Ezra they laid an envelope on the sideboard. This was the five percent that each player was ponying up to play. Jenny, Nellie and Grace, with Pete helping, were setting the table in the kitchen. We had tables just outside and the seating was first come, choose where you want to sit. It was beef, beans, and cornbread, the preferred food. Mom had sheet cake for dessert--white or chocolate. Amy and Amelia served this to the men. I say men, but there were six women in the crowd.

I looked at Ezra when the first woman came in and put her envelope down. "Nelope plays poker and she usually goes home a winner. I wouldn't even consider sitting at a table across from her. She is a real shark." That got him a laugh and a kiss on the cheek. All of the gamblers were aged forty or more, including the women. There were one or two that looked to be Ezra's age. Supper was served at six and Mom and her crew had the table cleared by seven. Play commenced shortly after. It was quiet as the betting took place, both in the kitchen and at the long table outside.

The first player went broke just after eight. He didn't seem concerned. "Cards just not with me tonight. That's okay, I won $80,000 two years ago at one of these parties, so I'm still ahead." He saw four of the snowpackers that had arrived two days ago and wandered over to look at them. I drifted over and he questioned what was going on.

I explained and he thought it was a great idea. Guessed he might spread the word to the school board he sat on. Another man busted and came out wanting to know how I ended up here being from the east and all. "My Mom is Nellie, Ezra's niece. She always talked about coming out and as I was winding up my affairs, I sent her out ahead of me. Best thing I ever did."

I guess it wasn't Nelope's night either, for she came out next. "I should have dipped into the till." She explained that remark, saying she was a branch manager of a sizable bank. We had said we wouldn't be furnishing alcohol, but there was a keg brought in by a beer distributor who was inside at the table. There were a few bottles of liquor around. No one seemed to drink when they were gambling, but if they went broke they didn't hesitate.

Angelina arrived at nine. Never hesitating, she came right to me and we kissed. Nelope was the second one kissed. It was friendly and I could see affection between the two. "Nelope tried Pa on for size for awhile. It didn't last, but I have always loved her."

Gambling stopped as Angelina made her way by the gamblers. Angelina went up to Ezra and kissed him on the cheek. I had never seen her do this before. "Ezra, you and Angie stopped fighting for awhile?" This came from one of the players that had been here for the barbecue.

"Yep, got me a manager and he straightened her out. Took him awhile because she is so ornery. There is more love in the air around here than you can believe. Even some for me. Grace, can you wheel out here?" Ezra introduced Grace Lincoln and after congratulations and small talk, play resumed.

Ezra didn't keep his mouth shut, and with confirmation by the sheriff, by midnight everyone knew that I had been shot and how. Jenny had exterminated, not only a wolf that had bothered his cows, but also a major drug dealer who was trying to rob him. "Yessir, I got me a crew now and one way or another, they are all family."

None of us got much sleep as someone would wander away from the game and come looking for something to eat. The big television stayed on low and the couches were occupied with people sleeping or watching the screen. There was no noon meal as such, only sandwiches. For supper, the crowd had thinned enough so everyone could find a place to gamble at the table outside. Mom roasted pork and potatoes and had a tuna salad consisting of macaroni, cucumber, green peppers and onion on the side. Dessert was a hot apple cobbler.

By early Sunday morning, the $250,000 less the 5% that came in, was being held among the remaining seven gamblers. It was agreed that at eleven a.m., the game would cease and whatever you had before you on the table was yours.

All seven were winners, having more than what they arrived with. They each threw a thousand into a pot for a tip to Ezra for hosting. This was in addition to the nearly $400 that had been tipped to Amy and Amelia for being so cute when they served the desserts.

It was a lucrative weekend amounting to $12,500, the agreed on 5% cut, $7,000 goodwill tip and $400 to the girls. We had a lot of free word of mouth advertising, both for the new ski area and for the proposed fair next year on Labor Day. We had given out free samples of beef jerky and had almost $900.00 in orders to be delivered. Everyone had a great time with no fights or disagreements over money. We decided we could do this again if it was proposed.

Sunday night when we put the girls to bed, Angelina said the girls didn't have to sleep in the bunk beds. They could sleep together in her bed. She was sleeping with me. In the morning they had permission to knock on my door and ask, "May we come in Daddy?" They had to wait for an answer from either their mother or me. It was never long before a yes was forthcoming.

"Junkin, may I speak to you please?"

"What is it Jenny?"

"Awhile back, you said it was okay for Izzy and me to get married. Then you said you thought it was okay for us to have a family. I think we should be getting married very soon. You know, to keep the neighbors from talking."

"Fine, we will arrange it. Do you want a church wedding or do you want to have it here in the ranch house? How about a honeymoon? Would you like to travel somewhere? You can you know. The ranch will give you money enough for anywhere you want to go. How about Hawaii?"

"No Junkin. Just maybe three days off when we don't have to come down stairs or do chores. I want to show Izzy how happy I am with him. He is a special person you know."

"You have it Jenny. Just think you will soon be Mrs. Israel Hogan. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? May I hug you?" Tears were in Jenny's eyes as she broke away to tell Izzy they were getting married. Twenty minutes later Izzy hunted me up, grabbed me and hugged me. Nothing was said and nothing had to be.

The two were wedded the Sunday afternoon following our talk. It happened right in the living room where they were at home and comfortable. An unlikely couple but none could be happier. Ezra handed Jenny to Grace, her mother and matron of honor. I was standing beside Izzy as his best man. Mom manned the camera and her photos turned out as only she could have them.

The newly married disappeared up the stairs after the evening meal. No one saw them to talk to until Wednesday when normal life resumed. We knew they hadn't stayed in their room all that time for I could hear them in the kitchen getting food and we knew they went for a ride up to the lease in the moonlight. I told Angelina all about it Wednesday evening, my date night with her. She thought it was so sweet. "I envy them!"

"Is that a hint for me to propose to you?"

"No, not at all. I think we should know each other at least six months before something like that is considered."

This surprised me for I expected now that we were sleeping together every chance we had this would be the next natural move. This conversation took place while we out for dinner. Then I remembered her telling everyone at the ranch that we were sleeping together, but that we might not go any further with it.

I didn't make any comment. I'd wait until six months were up if that was what she wanted. I just continued eating and then started reporting how things were progressing at the ranch. I think Angelina was disappointed I had dropped the subject, not agreeing or disagreeing. I smiled when it was brought up later that evening. Somehow I knew it would be.

"You didn't say anything earlier when I said we should wait six months before getting married. Talk to me."

"Okay, proposing and getting married are two different things. A man can propose to a woman anytime when he decides he loves her and wants to get married. He can even propose and be accepted without knowing when it is going to happen. I can't see how I can marry you and have a honeymoon until next spring at the earliest. That would be as soon as we shut the ski area down and before the cattle go out to pasture. Of course a honeymoon and a marriage go together, but considering the way we are living now they could be two separate events."

"Damn it Junkin, you're confusing me."

"I don't want to confuse you. I'd propose right here and now. We are living almost as a married couple. I'm certainly getting all the benefits. I am the most willing participant, but I have let you govern that agenda. I certainly haven't forced you. I have been burned by being married, but I haven't given up on it. I believe in it totally. There are two little girls that call me daddy, but I don't feel as if I am until I marry their mother."

"You didn't seem to mind when there was all of the free love floating around the ranch this summer. The only ones married in this whole house were Nellie and Pete."

"Maybe not then, but some things changed me. At that time I was still getting over Terry and the way she divorced me. I learned something from her and that hurt more than you can imagine." I didn't continue. I couldn't.

We had been laying in bed in the dark. Angelina sat up and turned on the light. "Junkin, when Bill Boyle rode out from the airport with me, he was decidedly nervous about meeting you. He said he almost didn't come, but Terry wanted to see her father, so he came anyway. Then when you two met, you said something to him and he calmed right down. Bill isn't the father of Junior is he? You are. That's what Terry told you, isn't it?"

I reached over and turned the light off and we were in the dark again. I couldn't answer. "Junkin, does family mean so much to you?"

"Yes it does. Did you know Nellie isn't my real mother? My own mother died when I was only two years old and I don't remember her at all. Then Dad died two years after I married Terry. Pete has been the best father he could be to me, but Terry wanted to rise in the world and she did it on the pain and suffering of her father when she practically disowned him. And then I find I gave away my firstborn before I even knew about him. I could fight for him, but what purpose would it serve?"

Angelina was quiet which I was thankful for. "I came out west and met you. The first time I saw you, you were bitching about Nellie and Pete freeloading off your father. Then you started in on me. You know something? I didn't care. I was in love. You want to know something else? Everything I have done has been a form of courting the one I love. Angelina, I'm not going to wait two more months to propose. Will you marry me? It is now up to you to accept or reject my proposal."

"Yes Junkin, I will become Mrs. John Duncan. When would you like to get married?"

"I'd like it soon before we get busy with skiers, but I will leave it up to you. I have already told you you won't get a honeymoon until spring. It isn't because I am cheap either."

"I know that. God do I ever know that. I would be satisfied to have a wedding just like Izzy and Jenny had. There is one thing I would like to do during those three days though. May we go up over the ridge and down into the ghost town and camp overnight? Of course we won't be alone. We never would get away from Amy and Amelia."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. May I kiss you to seal all of these plans?"

We were going to be married Friday evening, Columbus Day weekend. However there had been a tenement fire in the city the night before and several people were injured. It was lucky there were no deaths, but all medical personnel were required to come in and help at the hospital. Angelina was crying when she called to tell me about it. She was compelled to be on station all three days.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.