Sapphires & Emeralds - Cover

Sapphires & Emeralds

Copyright© 2009 by Taylor Gibbs

Chapter 21

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 21 - NCIS fanfiction.An undercover assignment leads to an entanglement for NCIS. Will Abby get trapped in a web of lies? Who IS that blue-eyed stranger who sets her on fire with his touch? Gibbs and Abby pairing. Alt. Universe. Co-written with Zabby.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Fan Fiction  

Ducky watched as Mike left, turning to Tim and Abby, momentarily speechless. "I didn't ... oh dear..."

"Mike..." Abby was shocked at his behavior. Mike was acting like he didn't even care what was at stake. He was choosing his pride over the op, over her. Turning to Ducky, she asked him with sad eyes, "Ducky? Ducky what did I do?"

"We let Director Morrow handle him," Ducky told her quietly, tightening his arm around her shoulder.

Fornell was coming out of the elevator when Franks brushed by him, slamming his hand on the button to close the door. "What the hell?"

Walking hurriedly to the bull pen, he demanded, "What the hell is Franks doing?"

When Fornell came closer, Ducky motioned to the badge and gun sitting on the blotter. "I believe he's taking a break. One hopes that it will be a very short one."

Ducky suspected Mike knew that the team had lost faith in him and was taking the decision out of Tom Morrow's hands. If it was truly a case of Abby's best interests rather than Mike's pride, it could be the best thing.

Gasping at the hurt, she murmured, "I didn't mean to make him leave, Ducky. I just ... wanted him to know that he'd crossed the line..." Tim came up behind Abby and pulling her towards him and away from Ducky. She let some tears fall on his shirt, hurting that the day's events had separated her and Mike. He meant so much to her, that she could only hope when everything had calmed down he would understand.

"Abby, you didn't do anything wrong. He did cross a line, my sweet girl." Ducky moved up close behind Abby and stroked her hair, giving Fornell a sad look. "I think he may know that he reacted badly and he needs to take a step away for a moment to clear his head. His worry about you must have been immense, dear girl, and he's been working such long hours here on the case."

He passed his hand over her back gently. "You didn't cause this, Abigail."

Turning towards him, Abby looked at Ducky skeptically. "But how do I fix this, Ducky? I did this to the team. Me. If I hadn't ... then he wouldn't have..." But Abby knew she was beating a dead horse. Still didn't stop the guilt though.

"You can't, dear girl. Only Mike can do that. This is something that he created and he is responsible. You can't control this, dear girl. You have to be focused on the undercover operation. For the FBI agents as well as yourself."

"I know, Ducky. Doesn't help the guilt though." Taking a deep breath, she stepped away from him. Looking around at what was left of the team, sans Jet but with Fornell, she questioned. "So, what do we do now?"

Stepping forward, Fornell said, "You're with me, Ms. Sciuto. We have to build your history and background. The rest ... I'm not sure..."

"We'll wait for instructions," Ducky said with a small smile. "Won't we, Timothy?"

"Right, Ducky," Tim responded automatically, wondering what Fornell meant.


Martin watched Tom as he hung up the phone. "Fill me in, old friend."

"Mike's pulled himself off the case, taking a few days of leave. Says the team doubts him now with his actions towards Gibbs." Morrow regretted the way things were turning out, but was glad that Mike had made the decision.

"And you? What do you think?" Martin had concerns about Franks' involvement from the beginning, but this was a new development. "Do you think this puts us at risk?"

"I think this is how it was going to have to turn out anyhow; with Mike's beating of your agent, and Abby's response to Gibbs." Sighing, he accepted the inevitable. "Seems like the rest of the team questioned Mike's ability to be objective as well."

"Your Abigail raises great loyalty in everyone. She is a powerful catalyst. I've never seen anything like it before, Tom. Never." It boded well.

"No, there's never been someone quite like Abby before, at least none that I've worked with. And she's a smart girl. She won't put herself into a situation that'll put herself or Gibbs or any of the others in overt danger. At least, no more than she has to. And I trust your man to do the same."

"He's my best, Tom. I don't say that lightly, my friend."

"I know you don't. And despite Abby's feelings or the strength of our combined forces, I wouldn't be putting her in the situation if you had any doubts."

"Wouldn't expect you to I wouldn't put your agents on the line any more than I'd put my own if I didn't have faith. I trust you ... and you can trust me, Tom. As a friend and as a director of a federal agency."

"Of course I trust you, Marty. I always have."

He nodded, squeezing his friend's shoulder as they waited for the next wave of people to arrive.


"Directors need us upstairs, Ziva." Tony looked over at Gibbs. "Relax. Gonna be a long night."

"I'll try," Jet remarked, smiling slightly. Whatever had happened centered DiNozzo. "Good luck up there. My director sometimes eats agents for breakfast."

"Good thing we're past dinner," Tony shot back.

Rolling her eyes at the men's banter, Ziva was glad to see the relationship between them had evened out. "What about McGee, Tony? Do we need to get him too?"

"Yeah, we'll pick him up at the squad room." Tony inclined his head to Gibbs slightly. "In the immortal words of Ahhhhnold, the governator, I'll be back."

Jet smirked, nodding.

Rolling her eyes, Ziva nodded a goodbye to Jet and followed Tony out of the lab.

They were quiet until they got onto the squad room floor and stepped out. "Abbs? What's going on? You okay? Was the debriefing that bad?" Tony met McGee's eyes. "Tim, the directors are ready for us..."

Nodding, Tim waited for Abby to explain what had happened, knowing that they needed to know.

Sniffing, Abby wiped at her eyes as she turned towards Tony and Ziva. "Mike left. He took himself off the team for this, for the op. Said that we don't trust him, that we're out to get him. Said we were judging him and he wasn't going to stand for it. So he put his badge and gun there and left."

"Mike..." Tony didn't know what else to say. He focused instead on the badge and gun, swallowing hard. "Abby, I'll talk with the director about it. We'll make sure that everything is organized and that you and Brooks stay safe." He pulled her into a tight hug. "You're gonna be okay, right?"

"Yeah, I'm going to be fine, Tony. I've got you and Tim and Ziva and Ducky and the directors behind us. Jet and I will be fine, perfectly safe. Well, as perfectly safe in an undercover op as we can be." Stepping away from him, she took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders. "Now the directors need to see you. The sooner you get up there, the sooner this day can be put behind us."

He kissed the top of her head, giving her another tight hug. "Love you, Abbs. You're incredible, remember that."

"I will. Love you too, Tony. Lots. Almost as much as Bert," she teased, knowing he knew she loved him more than the hippo.

Tony angled his head to Ducky. "Keep an eye on her," he said in an undertone, nodding when Ducky acknowledged him with a small smile. "Ziva. McGee? You guys ready?"

"On your six, Tony," Tim replied, using a phrase Tony often did with Mike. He hoped that Tony would know that both he and Ziva would be behind him as the team leader now. Nodding, Ziva started moving, stopping to squeeze Abby's arm in support.

Tony half turned, giving Tim a nod and a nod of acknowledgment. "Thanks, McGee. Ducky, assist in whatever they need, even if it is gofer stuff, okay? We all need to work together here."

Giving Tony a little saucy salute, she watched them head up the stairs towards the director's office, Tim and Ziva flanking Tony. Once they were out of sight, she turned to Fornell who was watching the whole exchange with an amused smile on his face. "Ready to get started, Special Agent Fornell?"

Laughing at her vibrant behavior, he replied, "Have a seat, Ms. Sciuto. Let's build the history of Mrs. Jet Brooks. How does being a digital artist sound? I remember seeing those pictures you created down in your lab. We could set up a gallery, records of sales, the works."

"Ooo ... I like it. Kinda of a macabre Andy Warhol." Taking a seat, she started to get into the flow of his creation.

Ducky squeezed Abby's shoulder. "That sounds lovely, doesn't it, Abigail? Would you like to call your new friend in to consult? As you will be his ... spouse? Estranged spouse?"

"Estranged spouse, Duckman. But if we want Jet here, I need to go down and get him. I turned the speaker phone off when I left."

"What do you think, my dear?" Ducky believed that the sooner they integrated the other man, the better for all involved, but Abby and Fornell knew his needs best of all. Much as it pained Ducky to realize it, Abigail had a growing bond with the FBI agent.

"Let the girl go get him, Doctor. We don't seem to have another option, do we Ms. Sciuto?" Fornell asked knowingly. "The sooner we get this set up, the sooner we can put this to bed and get the op running.

"I'll be right back," she squeaked, making off for the elevator.

"She's a transparent one, isn't she, Doctor Mallard?"

"Indeed she is," Ducky remarked, sighing slightly. "I worry for her, Agent Fornell. She isn't as hardened as the other agents, most especially not your man, Brooks, is it?" Ducky asked. He found it worked much better if he feigned ignorance and gained people's trust that way. A dotty doctor tended to get better results than a special agent any day of the week.

"No, she's not. But I think, in this situation, it will work out better for her. As your own, Officer David, proved when your team put her out in the field. As beautiful as she may be, there is a clear edge to Ziva that doesn't exist in Abby." In his previous dealings, Fornell had come to respect the NCIS medical examiner, though he never took the man's observations lightly. Doctor Mallard was an astute judge of character.

"Tell me about this Brooks character," Ducky pressed. "Is he a FBI informant? How did this criminal come into your care?" He knew he could probably get away with being uninformed for a time longer and he intended to press it to any and all advantages.

"'Brooks character, ' Ducky? " Eyeing the doctor, Fornell considered what he should and wanted to tell him. Granted, everyone involved so far knew the truth about Jet's identity. However, Fornell liked to play his cards close to the chest, charming Scottish doctor or no.

"Yes, Special Agent Fornell. Brooks character." Ducky flashed the other man an innocent smile.

"You really need to update your jargon. In any case, Brooks is actually one of mine. He's working as an undercover agent. Our operation ran into the op Franks was running tonight. Now it seems we're going to be combining our investigations, and your Abigail will be going undercover with Jet."

"One of yours? An agent? How ... fascinating. Undercover meets undercover. My ... what a tangled web." He continued to play the innocent elder man, hoping to reel Fornell in even more.

"When first we practice to deceive," he echoed, starting to get the feeling he was being plugged for information, even in such a good natured way as the doctor.

"Tell me about this gentleman, then," Ducky said, now genuinely interested in the information. "Has he been an agent very long? I take it he is quite talented? You strike me as a man who does not suffer fools lightly."

"And you, dear Doctor, are no fool." Looking up from the computer, Fornell considered the medical examiner. "Ducky, you know that Franks has stepped aside. He's found himself in a position where he can't let go of his prejudice against my agent. DiNozzo's going to be taking over, I believe."

"What is the situation with Agent Franks, have you any idea? Why did he strike out at your man?" Ducky wanted to ask Fornell frankly if he thought he could work under or alongside Tony, but he wouldn't push that hard yet.

"I can't tell you for sure, Dr. Mallard, since I wasn't there. But I do know he used the need to protect Ms. Sciuto to do it. As for the real reason, if there is a different one, you will have to talk to the people more involved. My number one priority is to see to my agent's safety. And now your forensic scientist." In truth, Fornell really didn't feel comfortable in sharing more than was necessary. He trusted the doctor, but the fewer people who knew the details the better.

"I was there in the aftermath," Ducky admitted. "And I have never seen him like that. It was as if he was completely out of control, Fornell. Very disturbing. I've worked with Mike for a great deal of time and I've never seen him like this." Ducky sighed, momentarily at a loss for words, feeling as if he might be being disloyal to Mike.

Understanding the doctor's upset, Fornell was strangely compelled to almost comfort the man. "I think this whole situation got everyone's panties in a bind, Doctor Mallard. With our two ops crashing into each other and with the obvious chemistry between Jet and Abby, emotions and tempers are running high. But we've gotta pull together now, be professional and all that."

"Yes, of course. I'll not be any trouble and I'm here to assist in any way I can. I don't get involved in all of these agency stresses. Gets in the way of the job," Ducky said with a heavy sigh. "As long as Abby is well looked after, my work here is done. She's very special to us, Fornell. Make sure your agent is aware."

"From his reactions so far, I think he already knows that. But I'll keep an eye out for her as well, Doctor. She'll be safe. In fact, when your computer geek whiz comes down here, we're going to make sure her identity sticks, that there won't be anything to pull attention away from Mrs. Abby Brooks back towards Abby Sciuto."

"That is the bottom line, Fornell. I cannot believe they sent her undercover. She isn't someone who is a..." Ducky trailed off, searching for words in a rare moment. "She isn't a natural agent, Fornell. She's not like them at all. I worry about her..."

"You mean to say she is not someone who easily, or comfortably, deceives people?" Fornell thought it was sweet, the way the older man was acting so protective over the younger woman. Sciuto seemed to have a strong hold over the people she worked with.

"She isn't someone who can lie convincingly," Ducky agreed, speaking in a firm voice. "And she doesn't like the field work. She's most at home with "Major Mass Spectrometer" as she calls it. At heart she's a scientist, not an agent, so I'm quite upset that Mike sent her undercover. And if she goes under again, I will be quite upset again. And again. That girl means something to me, Special Agent Fornell."

"I can see that you are, Doctor. But she worked well enough undercover that she convinced my seasoned agent, who isn't easily duped. With the whole of the FBI and NCIS behind her, your Ms. Sciuto will do well."

"Whether she's good or not, that doesn't matter," Ducky said in that same firm voice. "She is uncomfortable in that venue and I, for one, worry about her. Promise me, Fornell, that she will be taken care of. As if she was your own." Ducky lowered his voice at the end, knowing he sounded quite firm and angry.

With his hands on his desk, Fornell pushed himself to a standing position. Leaning towards the doctor, he looked him in the eye, knowing how important the girl was to him. "Doctor Mallard, I swear she will be as safe as if she was standing in her black platform shoes in her forensics lab. There will be an undercover protection detail, two of your own. We will have GPS, bugs, every other kind of tracking we can install. Abby will be safe, Doctor. As safe as I can possibly make her."

"And if one black hair is harmed on her head, Agent Fornell, you will answer to the director, but also to me. And I am not the lightweight you may think I am." Ducky stared down the younger man, giving him every indication that he was not a man to be trifled with. Fornell had no idea how dangerous mild-mannered Doctor Mallard could be.

Fornell had to stifle the snort that threatened to escape at the medical examiner's warning. He knew that the doctor would be true to his word. But no one had ever seen the doctor taken such a defensive position. "I understand, Doctor. She will be fine, I swear."

"Don't underestimate me," Ducky said in a low voice. "You have no idea what I'm capable of, Fornell. You would be wise to consider that."

"I would never underestimate you, Doctor Mallard." Starting to get annoyed at the other man's behavior, Fornell looked him in the eye. "However, Doctor, it would be wise of you to not threaten a federal office, regardless of how long you have been with NCIS."

Ducky gave the man an innocent look. "Oh, dear man, I was not threatening you. Would never threaten you." Unless the agents were harmed, Ducky added silently.

"Right," Fornell said sarcastically, dragging out the single word.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.