By Chance - Cover

By Chance

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

On the dot of six o'clock and the cheap rates, the telephone rang. Hank grabbed it.

"Hank, thank you again. I can't tell you what you've done for us. The children are so excited they can't keep still. And the joy they're giving me! We're back to being a happy, loving family." Fiona was bubbling.

Hank's heart turned over but he managed to restrain himself. "Good, I'm delighted. I was very taken with both of them. If nothing else you've taught them lovely manners."

"Thanks. They were pretty taken by you. Nigel said you treated him like a grown-up and didn't talk down to him. Tessa said you were dishy and then got the giggles."

"Well, I thought she was remarkably grown up for a twelve year-old."

"She is. I mean in many ways she's still just a little giggly girl but every now and again she still manages to surprise even me with a very adult remark."

"They've both inherited your brains."

"Rubbish. I haven't got any brains for them to inherit."

"Good second and in Classics? Dissembler!"

Fiona chuckled happily then checked herself. "I've also made an important decision. They're not going back to that awful school."

"Good but why not?"

"I don't want to inflict it on them any longer particularly as they're both so happy again and looking forward to their new ones. In any case it's only three weeks to the end of term and they won't miss a thing."

"All that makes complete sense. What reason are you going to give?"

"That we're moving and the decision was confirmed today."

"That's honest."

"Yes, as far as it goes. I wouldn't half like to talk to the school inspectors. I certainly hope that they unearth the bullying the next time they visit the place. I feel so guilty that Nigel didn't tell me about it."

"No guilt to feel. I'd be prepared to bet that, however much he hated the place and made that remark about Jeremy never sending him there, he didn't want to cause you more unhappiness and worry."

"Are you sure?"

"I only bet on certainties. The other thing is that you could always write to the Head and tell him that it has only just come to your knowledge and that he might like to nip it in the bud."

"That's not a bad idea at all, Hank. I might well do just that."

"So when are you planning to move to Sheila's?"

"I don't know. I'm going to put the house on the market on Monday. If it goes quickly we'll be down soon. If it doesn't I'll just have to leave it in the hands of the agents and move down a couple of weeks before the start of term."

"What about your furniture?"

"That'll have to go into storage."

"Don't rush into that. I'm sure I could find space for it at the school."

"Hank, you're an angel. How am I ever going to be able to repay your kindness?"

"I've got an idea but I'll keep it to myself at the moment."

There was a long silence.

"Are you still there, Fiona?"

"Yes, Hank. Please don't rush into things."

"I'm not but I've come to like you a lot."

"Me too. Lots and lots but not enough yet."

"I understand that, believe me. I shall start getting excited about seeing you again as soon as I put the phone down and then there'll be a little nag nibbling away in the background."

Despite herself, Fiona giggled. "What does it look like?"

"What?"

"Your nibbling nag."

Hank laughed. "Like a very black, hairy dormouse with oversized incisors."

"That could hurt."

"Quite right! It's a hungry little beggar too."

"Hank..."

"Yes?"

"I don't want you hurting."

"I'm not really. It's a sort of metaphorical nag and my excitement overwhelms it."

"Oh!"

There was another silence.

"Fiona, have I upset you?"

"No but you've given me more food for thought. I want Tuesday to come very quickly too."

"Why?"

"Lots of things."

"Such as?"

"Talking to you."

"I'll ring you tomorrow evening. And?"

"Wait and see."

"Foul girl."

"Yes ... Sorry, Hank ... Please don't press me."

"That's all right. I never would."

"I know."

"What about your job with the children at home?"

"I've got leave to come and I'll give my notice on Monday."

"What will you do for money?"

"I've got enough to last for a couple of months but I'll have to find something pretty swiftly after we move."

"Can I help?"

"I don't think so apart from finding out what I have to do to qualify as a teacher."

"That's bound to take time what about the interim?"

"Oh, I don't know. Secretary, receptionist. You know."

"OK. I'll keep my ears open and my nose to the ground."

"There's a good Labrador."

"Thank you, ma'am. I might actually be capable of original thought though."

"Oh, Hank dar ... dear. I didn't mean that."

"No, my love, I know you didn't." The 'my love' was so casual that Fiona could have glossed over it. She did not and her chest tightened. She had almost called him 'darling'.

"I ... I must go and cook some supper. Despite that lovely, big lunch they'll both be ready to eat a horse."

"Speak to you tomorrow."

"Yes, Hank."

She put the telephone down not trusting her voice to be able to say goodbye. Despite some light-hearted chat there had been a lot of emotion in that call, whether gratitude or burgeoning love. She checked herself. 'No! Deep affection and huge gratitude but not love. Not love! It was much too early for that. Wasn't it? Yes!'

She was not aware of it but she slammed round the kitchen preparing supper for the three of them. It did not go unnoticed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.