By Chance - Cover

By Chance

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

Betty kept her nose to the ground for the next few weeks but sniffed out nothing to indicate that an affair was developing between Charlie and Anthea. Certainly Anthea was less withdrawn and when a bunch of the younger staff went to the pub she would nowadays go with them. Betty discovered that the two of them had been to the cinema together on a couple of occasions over the last four months. There was no reason that she could see to release Anthea's secret to anyone else.

In the meanwhile Barbara and Hank continued to enjoy their relationship. It seemed that no one else was aware of it and they were more than happy with that. They did not want inquisitiveness or arch remarks.

"Was I not good enough for you that you had to go off with Deirdre?" Barbara teased him one evening as they sat cuddled up on the sofa.

Hank took it seriously and looked embarrassed. Barbara shrieked with laughter. "I'm only pulling your leg," she said, "on the other hand I am quite interested."

"You can't say I deserted you."

"Certainly not but I saw less of you at weekends."

"True. I'm sorry if you felt I was dropping you."

"Don't be silly. You're free to whenever you like. I would miss you. Heaven knows I would but as I'm not prepared to marry again I'd only have myself to blame." She made a little moue.

Hank kissed her gently. "Cheer up," he smiled. "I don't foresee that happening at the moment."

"So tell me," she said.

"I'm not entirely sure. She was certainly attractive, self-confident, intelligent and amusing and I found her fun to be with. She had the dirtiest laugh of any woman I've ever met and we did laugh a lot."

"Did I fall short?"

"No, Barbara. At no time. In fact I felt a bit two faced but she definitely had a hold on me. Possibly because for the first time in my life a really rather glamorous woman was showing an interest in me. I probably ought to have asked myself why."

"Did you sleep with her?"

"No. She made it clear it was on the agenda but I couldn't bring myself to. You were a factor in that but there was something else. I wondered whether she actually wanted to herself."

"Didn't want to muss her hair."

Hank guffawed. "You're probably spot on."

"Have you any idea why she was so keen for you to go to the fashion show with her?"

"Nothing concrete but that 'new hunk for Deirdre' headline suggests that she had someone last year and didn't want to appear without this year. Good for publicity? Good for her ego? I don't know."

"Probably a hefty wodge of both by the sound of her."

Hank nodded. "So what? I made a mistake, a stupid mistake, and it's all over now. Funny though, I'd have thought I was too old and experienced to be so stupid."

"Not too old at all. You're just right and, as for experience you have almost none having been faithful and untouchable for thirty years of married life."

"I suppose so or do you think it might be second childhood?"

"Ask me again when you're eighty. Am I on your agenda for tonight?"

"Yes, please, my love. You always are."

"Carry me of to your mountain lair then." Her eyes danced.

"I'll probably have a heart attack."

"Nonsense. I'm light as a feather and you," she simpered, "are as strong as an ox. My Tarzan!"

"Right! If that's the way you want it."

He stood up swiftly, swooped and slung her over his shoulder. He thumped his chest and grunted. Barbara flailed her legs uselessly. She pummelled his bottom to no avail. He tramped upstairs with her and dumped her unceremoniously on his bed. Barbara cowered in a foetal ball but her laughing eyes were on his. He gathered her up in his arms again and gently kissed her.

"My little Jane," he murmured and set her gently down on the bed again. He sat beside her and stroked her hair. Neither said a word. At length Barbara started to undo the buttons of her blouse. Hank took her hand and, pulling her to her feet, kissed her once more and then, as she tore off her clothes, began to undress himself. She ran to the bathroom to do her teeth, ran back and jumped into bed.

"Slowcoach!"

"I'm not as young as I used to be."

"Pooh!"

Hank went and cleaned his teeth and then slid in beside her taking her in his arms as he did so. Not another word was said as a kiss signalled the start of a long and gentle dance of love.

Some weeks later on a relaxed Saturday morning, Barbara having spent the night, they were both reading The Times with their breakfast coffee. Hank had skimmed the main paper. There was little in it. All the politicians were on holiday and there was little to occupy the press except speculation and lurid stories. He turned to the puzzle section, chiefly for Killer which was especially stiff on a Saturday but got side-tracked to the opposite page, what he termed the Lonely Hearts Page. He skimmed down it.

"I just don't understand them," he said to Barbara.

"What?"

"These Lonely Hearts women."

"Go on."

"Well, it's done alphabetically and kicks off with twenty-four 'attractive women', sixteen 'beautiful' and one 'bosomy' woman, five 'charismatic women' and so it goes on. There are umpteen 'loving' or 'lovable' women and even a few who admit to being 'passionate'."

"Go on."

"How can they possibly be believed? According to them, they should have been snapped up long ago."

"I know, my love, but can't you feel for them?"

"Yes, I do but nothing more than pity."

"Why?"

"Because they're over-selling themselves and destroying their credibility."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.