Samuel - Cover

Samuel

Copyright© 2009 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 4

Although the sky was clear, the snow was three feet deep on the ground when Samuel returned from his Saturday grocery shopping expedition. He had purchased seven TV dinners, a loaf of bread, a package of lunchmeat, a box of cereal, and a quart of milk. After putting away his groceries, he went to his bed and sat down. He stared at the wall without moving.

The elderly woman stopped her car in front of the entrance to the apartment complex. She looked down at a sheet of paper and checked the address. She turned into the parking lot and drove around looking for a specific apartment number. She finally parked next to a white pickup truck.

Rather than immediately getting out of her car, the woman sat there staring at the apartment door trying to work up her nerve to approach it. She almost drove off, but didn’t. She finally got out of the car and approached the apartment door. It was the only walk that was completely cleared of snow. She shivered when a frigidly cold gust of wind hit her.

Samuel had been staring at the distant wall for thirty minutes when there was a knock on the door. He slowly rose and went to the door. He opened the door and looked at the woman standing there. She was bundled up in a heavy coat. Her gray hair was cut short in a utilitarian fashion and was nearly covered by a little knit cap. He didn’t say a word; he just stared at her.

After looking into Samuel’s eyes for a second, the woman took a step back. She had expected to see anger, but not that dead expression. In a quivering voice, she said, “Sammy.”

“Leave,” Samuel said and then closed the door. He returned to his bed and stared at the wall.

The woman knocked on the door and shouted, “Sammy!”

When he didn’t open the door, she sat down on the ground crying. Plaintively, she said, “Sammy. It’s me. Open the door. I’m your mother.”

The woman sat outside his apartment knocking on the door and calling out his name to no effect. The arctic blasts of wind finally drove her to seek shelter from the freezing cold. It was a defeated woman who made her way back to her car. She sat in it with the engine running for half an hour. She cried uncontrollably throughout that time. After getting control over her tears, she took one last look at the apartment door and then drove away.

Several hours later, Samuel ate a TV dinner and drank a glass of milk. He washed the dishes and then sat at the table. Breaking from his normal routine, he picked up a pen and started writing in the notebook.


When it seemed that the temperature could not get any colder, it just got colder. The thermometer registered temperatures near zero degrees with a wind that was gusting up to thirty miles per hour. The walls of the apartment complex did not seem up to the task of keeping the cold out of the building. The occupants huddled under blankets and crowded around space heaters trying to keep warm.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.