Jack and Diane
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2009 by torchthebitch

That week became one of the busiest I've ever had. Diane phoned back on Monday afternoon to let me know we where invited to meet ACC Wilson at half past eleven, on Friday, at his offices. Tuesday, the estate agent I was using, phoned to ask me to have a look at some premises he thought would suit the gym project, that afternoon, and the project I was working on was brought forward, with a commencement date two weeks ahead.

I met Ray, the estate agent, and decided he had found the perfect location for the gym. I told him to go ahead with the lease and phoned David on my return to the office, to let him get moving on it. Then I phoned Stephanie to let her know. She got on to organising the fitting out.

Wednesday, and Thursday, were meetings with all the departments to get the new contract moving.

Then Friday hove into view. I met Milla at her offices and we took a taxi to the police headquarters. We were shown into a conference room where ACC Wilson was sitting on one side of the table, flanked by the Divisional Superintendent, his deputy, a Chief Inspector and a solicitor acting for the police.

Wilson started. "Mr Winters I realise that you were the subject of a rather unfortunate incident. I'm sure you understand that even a well run force like ours can be let down by the hasty actions of an officer under stress. Nevertheless, we will, of course, take disciplinary action against Constable Graham, and she will receive additional training before being returned to duty."

I glanced at Camilla. I could see her bridle at this buffoon. I really couldn't understand how this imbecile had got to where he was. He wouldn't have got past the Navy selection board.

He continued. "I have been authorised to make an ex gratia payment for your inconvenience. Our solicitor, Mr Chambers has the details, and some documents for you to sign. This would, of course all be confidential and without prejudice." He smiled expansively, confident in a job well done. Chambers brought the documents and placed them in front of me, proffering his pen.

Milla went to speak. I put my hand to her arm to stop her. I wanted this moment. I let the papers lie unread.

"So if I had hit Constable Graham would you be having a nice little chat with me about paying her a couple of thousand pounds, then we'll all forget about it? Or would you be all over the papers and television ranting on about assaults on police officers, and demanding I be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law? You think you can buy my silence for less than I can make in a day? Tell me this, how much will it cost you to defend this in court? How much damage will that court case cost you in bad publicity?" I leant forward towards the Assistant Chief Constable, "And do you think any of your careers would survive it?" I looked at Milla.

"Gentlemen unless you have anything more to offer I think we are finished here. When you are prepared to produce an equitable settlement, please contact my office," she said. With that we left.

We waited until we were outside. As we walked to the car I could no longer contain my incredulity. "Where did they get that imbecile? A Sub Lieutenant fresh out of Britannia College has more sense."

"It's endemic in the police, they seem to give them special insensitivity training."

"That's as maybe, Milla, but that was just incompetent."

"I rather liked the comparison you made, between what they expected you to accept from them, and how they would treat you if the circumstances were reversed."

As we drove I continued. "I can't believe they intend to put her back on the job. If I had used a spray and a baton on her, I'd be looking at ten years at least."

"Well they are going to have to come back to me with a better offer. What do you want out of it?"

"Quite frankly if they had told me they were disciplining her and throwing her out of the force I would have been satisfied. After that though, I feel pretty damned insulted. I'd like to see Wilson and that other pair carpeted, but I don't really see that happening." I thought about it. "She's not fit to be a police officer. She misused her position in Devon to gather information. That was bad supervision down there. I want her out of the force."

"What about the settlement?"

"Well we didn't make a claim to begin with. To be honest I don't think I would have bothered about one, but after that derisory offer, I want you to push for whatever you can get out of the bastards. Do you think we could make a claim on behalf of Harry and Georgie?"

"On what basis?"

"You're the lawyer Milla. Emotional distress for being left alone in the house or something?"

"That could get very messy, but I might be able to use it as leverage. Alex Chambers is a decent guy. I'll talk to him"

"Ok Milla, I leave it in your capable hands. Whatever you can get might make the difference between buying the house for them. Screw the fuckers into the ground. Make sure the Chief Constable has to know about it."

"I'm fairly certain he does. Wilson is being used to distance him from any trouble. I'll have a look at previous settlements to get an idea of how much to go for."

"Well, remember the kids were left unprotected, and if it wasn't for my parents being so close they could have been on their own for hours. And I was slung in a cell without appropriate medical treatment as well. Lay it on thick."

"Oh, I will, Jack. I'll pin them to the wall."

"How's Simon? I haven't seen him since we went hacking."

"He's great. He's retiring from the bench shortly."

"I'm sure he'll be glad to. What are you going to do then?"

"That'll be a bridge we'll cross when we come to it. But I think I'm looking forward to moving on."

"Are you going to give up the practice?"

"I might. I'll maybe look for something less taxing, that I don't wind up taking home with me."

"Any ideas?"

"Well I was thinking a boutique, but that market seems to be pretty well sewn up," she laughed.

With that we arrived back at Camilla's offices.

"Lunch?" I offered.

"That would be nice. I'll just drop my briefcase in the office first."

"Are your briefs in it?"

"Get your mind out of my underwear, you dirty bugger!"

I gave her my best injured ingenuous look. "You're a lawyer; don't you call your case notes "Briefs"?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.