On My Own
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2009 by Dual Writer

Wow, Friday. The week is rocketing by. Oh boy, I have to kick butt today if I'm going to get that prototype made. I can do it since I have a working model to incorporate. The plans are ready, so all I have to do is modify a few things and get Billy to machine a couple of parts. Done by noon; right, sure, who am I kidding? This was going to be tough.

I gave the lady on each side of me a squeeze then pulled my arms out from under them. As I was getting up, Betty said, "Isn't it early? It's not seven yet."

With a smile, I said, "It's five forty-five this wonderful Friday morning. I need to get moving this morning. If you ladies prefer to sleep, enjoy. I'm going for a quick walk."

I slipped on my shorts, socks, and tennis shoes. As I headed for the bathroom, Caroline stretched and got up. As I came out, she came in and gave me a quick kiss on the way. We were out of the door and on our way at a fairly rapid pace by five to six.

Caroline said, "You're excited about the R&D center this morning, aren't you?"

"I sure am, Babe. This is a big deal. I'm getting a wide open budget to make one of my ideas into a reality. This is really going to be fun. I bragged that I would have something done today, and in my mind, I can do it easily. That's not reality, though. It always takes more time than you think. I'm going to get it done though, hopefully early."

My partner said, "It excites me to see and hear you so worked up. It's like you're sharing your excitement with me. You've just fascinated the hell out of me every time you do something new. I just don't know what to think."

"Think good thoughts. Love. Think good thoughts for the project and for everyone around you. Those good thoughts become magnified and that's how we all get happy."

As we were on our way back to my trailer, I said, "Let's stop by and get coffee and something to eat in these clothes, then I'll go shower and get ready for work."

There were already people at the patio, as I had heard they began showing up around six. Steve was there with some of his kids as they were early risers too. The coffee was great and a breakfast sandwich hit the spot. Caroline was clutching this morning, hanging on to me as we enjoyed our morning together. We said goodbye to our friends early and headed to our trailers.

I had forgotten my pills, so I quickly took them, showered and dressed. Caroline had made some more coffee, so we shared a cup and kissed before I left. She said, "I love seeing you off in the morning knowing you'll be home to see me at the end of the day. I'm enjoying all the things in my life that I didn't have before. You are really the first man that I've ever la ... ah, enjoyed that way. See you tonight, Honey. I'll watch for you at lunch. If you don't come, I'll bring some sandwiches."

I raced over to the R&D lab at seven fifteen. No one was there yet except the security guard. He asked for my security pass that I didn't have. Crap. I told him that it was imperative that I begin work. He said he was sorry but no pass, no entry. Crap.

I rode over to the patio, cursing all the way. Once at the patio, I found Dennis talking to Steve and said, "I can't get in the lab because I don't have a security pass. The guard wouldn't let me in."

Dennis looked at his watch and said, "Too early, it doesn't open yet."

"Come on, Dennis, I need to get going. I bragged I could get the prototype up and operating today. I need to get to work, now, not this afternoon."

Steve said, "I would try to get you in, but you have to have a security pass to get in there now. Let's run over to the RV store and get the title lady to make you up a pass. I'll vouch for you, but you'll have to have a security clearance done. Just tell the lady to check you out and she will."

We drove our individual carts to the RV store and went upstairs to find a gray-haired, older, lady working on a stack of paperwork. She smiled and said, "Morning, Boss, how's it hanging this morning."

Steve answered, "Fine, Dorothy, is it as juicy as ever?"

I laughed as she said, "Who's the swinging dick you brought with you this morning. If he ain't too old to get it up, can I check him out?"

Steve said, "Dorothy, this is Mark Robins. You probably heard about him fixing stuff around the park. He's working in R&D on some real sensitive stuff and needs a security pass. Can you fix him up?"

"I sure can, Boss. Perhaps I need to investigate him real good."

"Just give him a pass this morning then you can get Jake's permission to attack a new man."

"Ah, that wouldn't be any fun. I like to surprise the old coot with a pussy already full every once in a while."

"Jesus, Dorothy, now I know why we hide you up here out of reach of everyone. You are one rangy babe."

"Oh say it, Honey, just say, 'One rangy bitch.'"

Dorothy looked at me and said, "Go pee in this cup. If you pass the piss test, I'll issue you your pass. Can I check you out, Honey? I mean a security type thing. I'll call you when I'm gonna ravish your ass. My old man likes to watch, so just come on over when you're called."

I took the cup and went into the bathroom she indicated. When I came out she stuck a litmus stick in it then said, "Nice equipment, Honey, I'll bet that thing is fun when it's hard."

Steve was shaking his head. Dorothy pointed at her PC to show it had multiple frames of security cameras and one of the frames showed the bathroom. I blushed and knew it was a mistake as soon as it happened.

Dorothy said, "Give me your driver's license and I'll photocopy it. Then drop your drawers so can I count the hair on your balls and suck a load out of you this morning. Hot damn, Boss, you brought me a live one."

The whole time the lady was talking nasty, she was busy. She had run a card through the machine that seals it in clear plastic. She handed me the card, a larger card, and a lanyard to hang around my neck.

"When did you take my picture?"

"When you were standing here. I have three cameras that will get your best side. I liked that picture, so that's the one to use. If you want to see how they work let me get my panties off and you can fuck me on the desk. We'll get some good shots of that for my old man."

I picked up her hand, kissed it, and said, "Dorothy, it has been a great pleasure meeting you. I hope to see you again soon."

"Oh, Steve, get that man out of here before I do something I haven't done in this office yet. See ya later, Boss."

Steve was grinning as we left. "Bye, Dorothy."

Downstairs, out of earshot, he said, "When Crystal hired that lady she warned me not to go up to that office unless I promised not to get upset by the woman's filthy mouth. Crystal said the lady was pure gold and worked harder than three MBAs on steroids. But, she said the lady was an incurable nasty flirt. She told me she would ask me to fuck her within the first thirty seconds we met and she did. I think she's all mouth, but I'm not going to find out. Very few people venture up there. Wait till you meet her husband, Jake. The man's as skinny as a rail. He says it's because she fucks him to death, so he's always making like he's begging for help. He says the last three guys he's brought home she used up the first night and he had to dump their bodies in the bay. Between the two of them you have an XXX rated nightclub act."

"An unusual employee, Steve. She's just another fun person to know around here." I was smiling in wonder when I said that too.

The guard let us in this time when I showed him my pass. It specifically showed R&D access. Inside, Hans was looking over my plans and checking parts for the prototype. I popped the notebook open and pulled four pages and headed for the copier. I copied the pages then put the originals back into the notebook. I told Hans, "I'm going to Billy's to either make these or have him do them. I'll be back and show you how we'll put this thing together. You can do the circuit board."

Billy was just opening and smiled at me. "Eager, huh, Mark. I guess this means I better get my speedy boots on."

Billy looked at the four drawings and the measurements. He went to some racks in the back and came back with four pretty big blanks. He measured them then asked, "What kind of blank or steel do you want to use on this?"

I said, "We'll cast them later, but this one needs to be tough so it won't lose its shape while we're testing. Use some part stainless, eighteen percent is common, so that will be all right. The blanks you brought up should be okay."

Billy asked, "How do you know they're eighteen percent stainless?"

"Well, for one thing, it's written in grease pencil on the backs, and you took them off the rack that has an eighteen percent stainless sign over the top. You don't seem like a guy that would mix up his blanks."

"You got me there, partner. Are these numbers correct? Are you sure of the dimensions?"

"Billy, these are the correct numbers. I originally machined two cases and shafts. They should be right on. If you calculate them, it will be tough to cast those numbers, but cutting them out of blanks should work. Do you want me to do them?"

Billy thought for a second and said, "Naw, let me do these and you go begin making what you need to finish the project. I can do two of these things at the same time, so I'll do two sets. See me in a couple of hours."

Steve and I left and as we were walking back to the R&D center, I asked, "Should we go get another cart or do they have sufficient carts for us to use here."

"Dennis should have plenty. If he needs more he can request them and go get them. I'm going to go to work. Here's my cell number. Call me as soon as you're getting close. I want to watch this thing on the real road, not on the test wheels."

Inside, Hans was pulling the parts we would need and not working on the circuit board. When I pointed to the page he said, "This is pretty delicate, how are you going to make it standup to the beating you're going to put it through."

"Watch me. I'll lay triple tracks and double side solder everything just like robotics can do. If this breaks in our lifetime, it will be because someone shot it."

I took the green board and began the photo etching process from the layout I had drawn. Their etcher didn't like the triple track, but it had that option and I made sure all the redundancy was laid out correctly. I put the board into the track laying oven and watched through the monitor as the tracks were laid. The temps were a couple of degrees shy of melting the board, but that's the right way to lay them. A big process machine would do the job faster, but this was a prototype and using this machine was a hell of lot more exact than putting the board out in the sun and hoping for good tracks.

I had to hunt up the components for the board since Hans was still thinking that the board wouldn't be tough enough. I laid the components on the board and used the Magic solder system to begin hitting the board on both sides. It's a good thing I had done this part before, because you had to program in coordinates for the solder to be laid. When one was done, you saved that process on a back up and the next time you did the job, you just stuck the board in and pushed a button.

When that was done, I used the oscilloscope on the bench to test all the circuits. It looked right. Hans had made a good card rack and had cut and soldered the wire harness to go between the board and the components.

He and I went out back and selected a pretty blue golf cart and brought it in. Between the two of us, it was quickly in pieces. We pulled the transmission, then checked the cart to make sure it was pristine as far as everything else. I checked the nut and bolt sets that could cause problems and they were good. Hans said, "The cart people have the same motto." He pointed to the sign, "We make it perfect."

I told Hans, "I'm going for the parts from Billy. I'll be right back."

Billy was outside, sitting in his chair and leaning back against the building, smoking a cigarette. With a grin, he said, "How come so late?"

I looked at my watch to see that it had been all of an hour and fifty minutes since I gave him the job. He got up and hobbled into his shop. Billy had been in one hell of a motorcycle accident a long time ago and didn't walk well.

He gave me the pieces and said, "These are exactly to your specs. I'm giving you back your sheets, but I have the numbers recorded in the job database. Your stuff is secure. No one would ever be able to figure out which one was which. They would have to make every thing in there and there are more than a thousand jobs in the machine."

I thanked Billy and carried the box of parts back to the center.

Hans and I pulled the old transmission apart then began building the new one exactly to the sheets from my notebook. Each piece was polished with an emery cloth and then wiped with oil cloths soaked with synthetic oil. We were smiling as each piece slid together and was locked in place with the small keys. When the gears were in place, I put the shifting forks in place and connected them to the shift gate that would be operated by the transformer servo combination. When it was together, we mounted it in the cart and connected everything.

Hans said, "That is crazy that you had the exact measurements of our cart gearboxes."

I said, "Abe used standard sizes when he made the carts so it would be easy to repair in the field with available parts. We're just adding a few things to the mix."

We slid the circuit card in and began wiring the pieces in place. I used some plastic I had printed after making it up on the computer to put on the gearshift indicator. I'm sure we would do something different in the future, but this would work for now. The indicator looked like it came from the factory with the cart.

I stepped back and called Steve's number. When he answered, I said, "I'm not sure how we did this but you should come watch us succeed or fail. Hans and I just about have this thing licked."

Steve said excitedly, "I'll be right there. I'm bringing Abe and Tiny with me. Maybe Phil too; if I can find him."

Hans was putting the covers on everything so I helped put the cart back together. We were about to put the access panel down when I said, "Oil, we didn't put any oil in the gear box. Hans laughed and held out the oil plug that goes in the bottom of the box.

I put the plug in while he put oil in and screwed the access panel down. When we were all done, Hans said, "I think we should at least start it. You're so confident about that box of yours, we need to see if the cart will at least run."

I told Hans, "Don't tell them about the ignition system. We are testing the transmission. When we feel good about the transmission, we tell them about the ignition."

Hans said, "It was too easy, you know. We did both in a lot less time than we thought we could do only one."

"I know, Hans. We are good together; real winners."

He pointed to the sign, "We make it perfect."

I nodded and Hans turned the key. The cart started instantly. We checked all of the switches and the directional and brake lights. Hans shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess it works. It's too easy."

I said to Hans, "I had that worked out a long time ago. You had the coil worked out a long time ago. We could have had this ten years ago if we had met then. It went together easy because our two parts went together."

"Ya, ya, just like my wife we go together good. This is too good." It sounded more like goot, but I knew what he meant.

We were pushing the cart out of the shop when Steve came sliding to a stop. Steve, Abe, Tiny, and Phil came out of the pickup truck. Phil came up and said, "It looks like any other cart to me."

Steve and Abe had already seen the little gear display. Steve asked, "Have you tested it?"

"You will be the first," I said, crossing my fingers. "The test model worked, so this one should."

Abe said, "Don't you just love engineers. These guys make something and think it's perfect out of the box."

I had to say it, "But I'm not an engineer. I putter; I play with things until I know they'll work. Hans is the same. Our ideas meshed."

Dennis came out of his office and said, "You should have seen these two working on this thing. I think there are some surprises in here today."

Phil asked, "So what's the big deal anyway."

Steve said, "Come on, Phil, get in, Tiny, you and Abe come too. Let's give it a load."

They got in and Steve turned the key and the cart started instantly. Abe and Steve both turned their heads listening. Abe said, "Shut it off and start it again."

Steve did and when he started the cart he looked at Hans and me and arched an eyebrow. Abe was grinning from ear to ear. Steve put the gear selector in reverse and the cart backed up when he let the brake off. He but the cart in drive and the cart didn't jerk but sat there as it should until he let the brake off and gave it some gas. He drove around the parking area and stopped in front of us with the brake. When he let the brake up, he had to give it gas again. They took off down the street and you could hear the cart change gears. Steve must have really been going as it went into third gear and we could hear the motor revving. You could also hear Phil yell, "Whoopee, Automatic."

Hans, Dennis, and I did an uncharacteristic high five with each other. Dennis said, "You know Steve is going to try to kill that transmission, don't you?"

"I figured," I said. "He'll have to work at it. You know I made that thing out of eighteen percent stainless. He can't bend the forks because they're servo controlled. He can't harm the linkage because it is direct. The control box is linked to the electrical, so he can't get it wet because we have rubber gaskets sealing the cover. It should be tough enough for a sixteen year old or a couple of old ladies."

Dennis said, "You put your new ignition in there, didn't you?"

I nodded.

He asked, "How did you do that so fast. I thought it had to be developed yet."

"I've already made several, but didn't have the coil. Hans gave me the coil and I designed it in when he gave it to me yesterday. We have all the components, so while I was making circuit boards, I made that one too. You had the gel so I poured it in. I almost didn't put the connections in the right place and remembered just as I put it into the soldering machine. It's all triple tracked and double soldered, so it should last. If the components you had in stock are rated correctly, we should be golden."

Dennis said, "I hope the lawyers get the patent application done today or we'll have to lock this thing up tonight."

I grinned.

My cell phone went off. I answered it and heard, "Where in the hell are you. We are supposed to be in the judge's chambers in thirty minutes."

"Oh shit, I forgot. Damn, I'll be right there. I should be able to make it. Where are his chambers?"

"You idiot. Jesus, I'll meet you at the door of the court house, hurry."

Steve came back in the cart, so I said, "I have to be downtown at the county courthouse in less than thirty minutes. Who can get me there?"

Steve said, "Hop in, there is a way."

I jumped in the cart and Steve took off, pressing buttons on his cell phone in one hand. He said to the person he called, "You have to drive Mark Robins downtown to the courthouse and you have to be there in about twenty minutes. I'll meet you at the gate."

We slid up to the gate as a country Sheriff's cruiser pulled up. Steve said, "Go" and pointed.

I jumped into the cruiser and was told by a small person, "Put the belt on and hurry."

As I was buckling the belt, the car fishtailed away from the gate, turned around and headed toward town. We jumped on the highway at Bearss, hitting well over a hundred with the lights flashing. Every time people began crowding up, she put the siren on. I almost pissed in my pants a couple of times. Holy shit, this tiny person could drive. She weaved through downtown traffic and slid up to the front of the courthouse. She looked at her watch and grinned and said, "Sixteen minutes flat. That's movin, ' Buster."

I got out and said, "Thanks, Mickey, you are some driver."

She said, "I'll be out here waiting to take you back."

Sarah took my arm and said, "Come on, hurry, we can't be late."

We walked down some hallways and entered an office that had a receptionist. The lady pointed at an open doorway and we went into what looked like a conference room, with shelves of law books surrounding us. At the table were Judy, Jeanie, and a guy I assumed was Judy's attorney.

At the head of the table was a man in a judge's robe. I didn't think the robe was necessary in this situation, but oh well. There was a court reporter sitting in the corner with her tiny machine on a stand in front of her.

"Glad you could make it, Ms. Perkins and Mr. Robins. I understand you were involved in an important government project out at S&S. I hope you are successful with it."

He waved at all of us, "So, you have reached an acceptable agreement to dissolve the marriage of Judy and Mark Robins. I will read the brief description of the division of property. When I am through, if you want to request anything additional, please do so at that time."

"The value of the home is to be split between both parties. The personal checking account is also to be split equally between the parties. Judy Robins is to retain her vehicle and Mark is to retain his. The third vehicle is now a gift to the daughter, Jeanie."

The major asset of the marriage is the amount of money from the sale of the business. I understand the business was a minority owned business with fifty-one percent ownership by Judy and forty-nine by Mark. I also understand the business was originally incorporated several years before your marriage. Now, Judy, did you work in the business?"

Judy said, "I had an office there for the entire time I was majority owner."

Her lawyer smiled.

The judge was looking at the papers and asked, "What were your functions with the company? What did you do?"

Again Judy said, "I had an office at the company the entire time I was the president and majority owner."

"I see," said the judge. "Did you work with marketing?"

Judy answered, "No."

"Did you work with accounting?"

"Heavens, no," she answered.

"Then how about customer service?"

"I didn't do any of that."

The judge then said, "The division of money from the sale of the company is listed on Mark's papers at sixty percent for Mark, but on Judy's papers it is listed at forty-nine percent for Mark. I thought you two attorneys had agreed on a property settlement?"

Sarah said nothing as she knew what was coming.

Judy's attorney said, "Your Honor, I'm sure you would agree that even forty nine percent is too much for a man who has abandoned his wife to go live in a remote dowdy trailer park. He should forfeit the full amount of the home as it is Mrs. Robins only place of residence. We tracked this man down by way of his new car. He must be doing all right to purchase a new car. You might possibly consider an eighty/twenty split of those proceeds in addition to the full amount of the home."

The judge looked at me and asked, "How did you purchase a new car, Mr. Robins?"

I looked at Sarah and she just nodded, "My car was stolen from the police impound lot, actually it was a federal impound lot. They made me an offer of a vehicle that I accepted. When I used that vehicle and my antique motorcycle as a trade-in, I was able to trade for a Ford Escape. It was a pretty good deal for me since my Bronco was getting old."

The judge said, "That is an unfortunate, but fortunate, opportunity. I'd say a wise deal to come away with a new vehicle. So you didn't have any money that you had to put with it?"

"No sir, I used my only valuable asset, my antique Harley Davidson."

"Okay, that explains that. Is there anything else that you want from this marriage, Mrs. Robins?"

The attorney said, "Besides Mr. Robins generous Social Security, he receives two hundred seventy dollars each month from the Veterans Administration. We feel Mrs. Robins should be entitled to half of that, as well. We also believe that Mr. Robins should not be carried on Mrs. Robins' health insurance."

"Is that all?" The judge asked, arching his eyebrow.

He looked at me and asked, "Is the VA money payment for an injury or retirement?"

"An injury, Your Honor."

"Were you married to Mrs. Robins when you received this injury?"

"No, Your Honor."

The judge wrote some notes on his pad. "Mr. Robins, how do you feel about the division of assets as far as the house and the money from the sale of the business?"

I took a deep breath and answered honestly. "I think the way we presented the division of assets was fair, but I will abide by what the court deems fair."

He asked, "Do you own your home in the trailer park?"

"No Sir, I rent. I was given two thousand dollars to find a place to live and for food until I could get my Social Security and VA money changed to a new bank account."

"And why did you need a new bank account?"

Judy's attorney butted in and said, "It's only reasonable, Your Honor. If she asked him to leave he might rape those accounts and abscond with all of the money. She had to protect herself, so she allowed him two thousand to get settled somewhere else."

"You know, Gerald, you are always interrupting people and always trying to influence a judge in the wrong way."

The judge turned to the girl who was typing on a small machine. She was the court reporter. The judge said, "Get this down exactly, Thea."

The judge turned back to Judy's lawyer waving a finger, "Please remain quiet until I ask you to speak Gerald. One more interruption and you will be in contempt."

The attorney began to stand to say something, but the judge wagged his finger at him. The guy sat back down.

"Mr. Robins, are you willing to let me decree what is fair in this situation?"

"Yes sir, ah, Your Honor."

"And Mrs. Robins, are you willing to let me decree what is fair in the situation." He paused and said, "You may discuss this with your attorney."

Judy and the master idiot got their heads together and then she looked at the judge, "Your Honor, I think you should decree that I get the house and at least eighty percent of the business proceeds, as well as at least half of his VA money. Mark should be able to be fine with his VA medical benefit. I want him to be required to maintain his life insurance and for me to remain the beneficiary."

The judge asked, "So are you willing to let me decree the division of property?"

The attorney nodded for Judy to agree.

"Yes, Your Honor."

The judge said, "Fine, I'll be in my chambers for a few minutes then I'll return. You should have time for a bathroom break and refreshments if you want. I want to see both attorneys in my chambers."

The judge, Sarah, and Gerald the jerk all left the room. Judy said, "I hope you agree to all of this, Mark. You know that I'll need the extra money to sell the house and buy a decent condominium. Jeanie still needs help up in Atlanta that I'm sure you'll agree on. Just enjoy your new car and your Social Security. Half of your VA money is pretty good, don't you think?"

After I choked for a minute, I got up and went to the bathroom. Wow! How could this morning be such a rush and this be so fucking terrible? Where was Judy coming from? She was being greedy like I've never seen her before. I had best watch my language. Somebody will read my thoughts and be pissed. Someone like Mercy or Chuck. I wish they were here so they could tell me what to say.

Back in the conference room, Judy was gone, but Jeanie was there. She came over to me and I stood. She hugged me saying, "I'm sorry, Daddy, this is not nice. I don't know why Mom is acting this way. She's lucky she's not in jail. Can I come and stay with you a little while before I go back to Atlanta? I want to make sure you're all right. Please, Daddy. If Mom gets everything she wants, you won't get out much anymore."

Sarah and Judy's attorney came back and Judy came back shortly after. Judy and her attorney had a chat that had Judy sitting back gasping. The judge came in and sat as we stood, then we sat.

"I've discussed what my decree will be, but in this case Mr. Robins has some say. First, the value of the home will be appraised and it will be sold, borrowed against, or paid outright, with half of the existing value paid to Mr. Robins."

"As to the VA benefit to Mr. Robins for injuries incurred during his military time, Mr. Robins will receive one hundred percent of that benefit and he will receive one hundred percent of his Social Security benefit."

"The big one. I decree that Mr. Robins will receive ninety percent of the money received from the sale of the business owned by the couple. I make this division on the basis that Mrs. Robins did nothing for the enhancement of this business. Mr. Robins, do you feel this division is equitable."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.