It's My Life
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2009 by The Mage

As we traveled to the gala, Thomas set the ground rules for us, yet again. For the past three weeks we planned the trip to the gala as if it were a military operation. Thom and his team had covered every inch of the function hall where we were headed. Even Jean was well versed in the needed procedures, which was something of a miracle, by itself.

When ever possible, the three of us were to stay with our minders. Thomas even had female operatives that would be able to go to the ladies' room with us. The thing that he and the rest of us feared the most was being cut from the herd, and then hurt or taken.

'Well ... we've done all that is humanly possible, to keep you all safe, short of disrupting the gala," Thom said. "However, as with any human endeavor, there is the possibility of time and chance, here. If something untoward happens, push the button. Okay?"

That day Thomas had provided each of us with individual panic buttons. Each was set to a different frequency, for identification purposes.

Uncle Joe pulled out a bottle of Dom, popped the cork, and then proceeded to fill glasses for the 'civilians.'

"Now, remember that being drugged is a viable possibility for any of us. So, let us enjoy this, with a toast to a successful event," he said with a raised glass.

We raised our glasses and said "Here, here!"

The champagne settled our nerves, and we chatted amiable for the rest of the trip. Then, we were in the queue of limousines. It actually took half an hour for our driver to pull up to the red carpet, and then open the door for us. This was a bigger deal than I thought, as the paparazzi snapped picture after picture of us, and kept having us stop for different poses. I was wondering if I had gone overboard with our gowns. The press didn't think that trainers would look the way we did. In fact, many definitely DID NOT! Also, the titled people that were there were not dressed as elegantly as they could have been. My little group had a decidedly 'American red carpet' feel. Therefore, we were fodder for the paparazzi.

With great difficulty, Thomas managed to get us free of the photographers and into the lobby. Of course the architecture was old English, and very regal. Even with all of the attendees milling about and chatting, the atmosphere was calm compared to the frenzy along the red carpet outside. Waitpersons weaved their way through the crowd, with trays loaded with beverages, starting the 'lubrication process.'

Uncle Joe leaned into me and whispered into my ear, "You have no idea do you?"

"What are you talking about?" His comment confused me.

"You, my dear. You are no longer a girl but a very beautiful woman! And Annie is not far behind you! Look how the men in the crowd are all sneaking glances at you and Annie," he said with a smile. But then he got serious again, "That means we all have to be even more vigilant."

"Why more vigilant, now, Uncle?"

"People will be buzzing around you two flowers. That will make it easier for our adversaries to get close to you."

"Oh! Yeah ... I get it. Damn!"

Suddenly a man wearing old English livery, and carrying a long ornate staff, entered the room. He banged the staff on the floor sharply, twice, and then in a loud voice called out, "Ladies and Gentlemen! Her Majesty, The Queen!"

The crowd went silent! They then moved to form a processional way for Her Majesty. As the Queen moved along the aisle formed by the people, women curtseyed and the men bowed, the room was absolutely silent! This was something that really struck me, being an American. No one in America would receive that kind of respect, well ... at least in my opinion. I mean they don't even stop talking for our president, let alone bow and curtsey!

Once the Queen was seated at the head table up on the high dais the crowd moved as one to find their seats at the dining tables. The schedule called for dinner, then the awards ceremony followed by dancing. I was hoping that the food would be better with the Queen in attendance than it usually is at functions such as this.

The meal was interesting, at least my selection was! I had ordered the fish dinner.

Menu

Chilled Spring Pea Soup
Salmon Arrosto with Rosemary
Petite Ratatouille

Frosted Lemon with Yogurt

Surprisingly this fish dinner was served with a red wine, a light Pinot Noir.

(Author's note: this Menu is from Rozanne Gold's cookbook: 'Healthy 1-2-3'.)

The meal passed with tasty food and good conversation. However, there was the undercurrent of watchfulness, as our minders and their minions kept vigil. The awards segment was as boring as could be, as we were not receiving any awards that I knew of.

I was wrong!

Ben was given a posthumous lifetime award, and Jean was all a flutter as she made her way to the dais to accept for her husband. Since Jean was being 'cut from the herd' with this award thing, Thomas had two of his men escort her to and from the stage.

THAT'S WHEN I SAW MY FATHER!

He was looking out from behind a side curtain, and his visage was murderously red. It was obvious that he had planned to do something to Jean, but was foiled by the presence of our security. I was now sure father was going to go after those that I loved first. This was now a vendetta!

I nudged Thomas and tipped him off to my father's location. A moment later I saw several of the security men head in the direction of where my father had been but, of course, he was not there by the time the security men arrived.

"Thomas, I don't recognize those security guards. Are they yours?"

"No. Besides the Queens people there are five other primaries with a private security presence. Under circumstances like this we all work together for full coverage."

Thomas sighed deeply and continued, "Well ... now we know that your father, at least, is planning to try something."

We both turned to look at Duke Edgerton's table. There he sat in all of his piggish glory, swilling wine like it was water. I shuddered at the mere sight of that repugnant man!

Finally, the main event was over, and the Queen left. Everyone else relaxed and the dancing and schmoozing started. Events such as this were excellent places to lobby for new horses, from the elite of the horse world. Annie and her minder were having a great time dancing and I was beginning to think that her fellow was not doing his job. However, as I watched the two move around the dance floor, I got a good look at the face of her protector. I knew then, that this guy was totally on the job!

Thomas saw me looking at the dancers. In a very gallant manner he stood and asked me if I cared to dance. What female in her right mind wouldn't love to be in the arms of this amazing specimen of the masculine gender? I nodded and then took his offered hand as I stood. It was a good thing, too. My knees were so wobbly that I could hardly walk.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked myself.

I had never felt like this in my entire life. It scared me, as well as made me all squishy inside.

Then everything went sideways!

Thomas lay on the floor bleeding and Duke Edgerton had grabbed me and was mauling my breasts. The man was drunk out of his skull and yelling in a very slurred manner, "Yer bought n paid for, 'n' I'm tired uv waitin! Ya hear?"

I spun away from him but in the process he ripped the entire front of my dress off. There I stood naked to the waist, burning with shame, embarrassment and anger. I was disoriented enough that Edgerton was able to, again grab me. This time though he was behind me and a little to my right.

"LET GO OF ME, YOU DRUNKEN PIG!" I screamed.

In my rage I spun to my right but this time I raised my arm and struck a killing forearm strike to the Duke's windpipe. I heard the bones crack and felt the man's throat compress as his larynx broke. With his larynx crushed, the man could no longer breathe.

He let go of me then, and started clawing at his throat. The man remained standing for an incredible amount of time, considering the extent of his injury. He clawed at his throat so violently that blood was freely flowing. Edgerton turned a deep shade of blue while he suffocated with his tongue hanging out of his mouth looking like the strangled pig that he was! Finally his eyes rolled back into his head and he fell forward stiffly. Just like a tree falls to the axe.

Meanwhile I was frantically trying to cover my chest, with the shredded pieces of my ruined gown. At the same time my roving security people surrounded me, and hustled me from the room. Inside an anti-room, one of the female minders attached to my team handed me her jacket and I was finally able to regain a modicum of modesty by covering my breasts.

"How is Thomas?" I asked fearing the worst.

"I'm afraid he is dead, Miss. That fat pig jammed a steak knife into the base of his skull," one of the security guards said as he entered the room. "Edgerton is dead, too, so you will have to stay here, Miss. The police will want to talk to you."

Suddenly, the room filled with all of our group, and their minders.

Uncle Joe came up to me and asked, "Are you okay, Lacie?"

Concern was written all over his ancient, craggy face.

"I'm okay, Uncle Joe, but my chest really hurts."

Annie came up and said, "Come over here, and let me have a look."

I followed her to the corner of the room and with my back to the rest of the people I opened my jacket. Annie's eyes went wide and she said, "That bastard really raked you. You have eight scratches that are deep enough to bleed!"

Joe heard her and said, "Before you clean up, Lacie, we need to photograph your injuries. Here, Annie, use my I-phone. It's all set. Just press this button."

All of a sudden I began to feel grief and nausea, deep in my stomach. I kept seeing Thomas' smiling face before my eyes. I must have more feelings for him than I had allowed myself to realize.

I wept!

I wept for the folly of all of this, that my selfish family had caused, and I wept for the death of a wonderful man!

As I was being helped to a seat, a rather thuggish uniformed policeman entered the room, and tried to bully me. It was evident that he thought that I had used too much force in my own defense. After all, I ... a mere American ... had killed a duke.

At that moment, two things happened at the same time. Uncle Joe announced that he was my attorney, and a well-dressed man entered the room. He stopped the police sergeant from bullying me. It was obvious that the uniformed officer knew who this person was, and didn't like him.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.