Distribution
Epilogue: A Happy man

Copyright© 2009 by Fable

October 2009

Amanda had everything worked out, she thought. She'd done a good job of convincing everyone that sacrifice was necessary, but she had not foreseen the pitfalls that presented themselves. No one could have.

We were married in December, 2008. Mona and Patrick changed schools after Christmas vacation. Paige's parents came for the wedding, but after deciding that they would prefer to live next door, where my office was located, they returned home to Boston, temporarily, they said.

My parents, my sister and her boyfriend came for the wedding. They agreed that they liked Paige, but my mother was opposed to my taking on the responsibility of raising two more children that I had not sired. She adored Phillip, her blood relative.

Everything was too small for three adults and four children. We bought a new, larger car, but we were cramped in the house. The boys argued about which one would take the upper bunk, and the girls squabbled over closet space.

Paige didn't fit in well in my businesses. She was great at problem solving, but she complained that I was too set in my ways. She missed her job as a paralegal.

It was after the birthday party in March that we begin discussing the living conditions. What we needed was a new home, designed to accommodate our growing family. Building elsewhere would defeat the purpose of Page's parents taking over my office next door.

We decided to add two rooms to the house, a large family room with another bedroom and bath above it. But before the addition was started, Paige became pregnant. Was it too late to add a nursery to the plan? We reconsidered building exactly what was needed, a large home that would accommodate a wing for her parents.

Somehow, we made it through the school year without anyone being seriously injured in the daily battles over use of the upstairs bathroom.

What kept us sane was the knowledge that we would soon be in our new home. Paige revealed that she had some money. We found a suitable acreage, and held nightly meetings to plan the house. Mary flatly refused a separate wing for her own use, saying that she was a member of the family.

We took two trips in the new car. First, in June, we attended Ginny's marriage to Randy. We took the kids. Mary preferred to stay home. Randy's grandparents opened their home to us. My parents stayed in a motel.

Everyone was especially attentive to Paige, wishing her good luck with the birth of our child. My mother said that she was glad she had witnessed our marriage. "At least this one will not be a bastard," she said, patting Paige's tummy.

The second trip was to Boston. Paige and I went to bring her parents back with us. They expected to move into the little house next door, but when we told them about our plans to build a custom home, they participated in the design of their wing.

Paige brought us to our senses one night when we had six different ideas about the color of tile to be used in one of the bathrooms. "If we don't stop designing and start building, the baby will be here, I'll be pregnant again, and we'll have to start the design process over."

We came to terms with a contractor the next morning. I told him to surprise us with the color of the tile.

I'm a happy man. My daughter taught me that.

Amanda came to see me one afternoon. Paige waved at me as she pulled away from the curb. I blew her a kiss, knowing that she'd brought Amanda to the store. She wanted to talk.

"I like your hair," I said.

"Paige braided it. She said you would like it."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.