The Gadsden Purchase Scam - Cover

The Gadsden Purchase Scam

Copyright© 2009 by aubie56

Chapter 3

When I got back to Las Vegas, I turned in my rented horse, sold the 11 horses I didn't want, and stabled my new horse at the livery stable. Man, I was beat! I grabbed a quick supper and went to bed. I must have been tired, because I didn't wake up the next morning until I had to rush to make it to breakfast.

After breakfast, I went out onto the veranda roof and rocked away some morning stiffness while I considered my options. I was really no closer to finding Hudson than when I landed back here in 1852, but I figured that I could do just as much good by cutting off his supply of gold. That was probably easier to do. I didn't have to do a perfect job, I just had to make sure that he did not have enough gold to complete the purchase. That two million dollars I had just taken from him had to go a long way toward doing that, so I decided to keep that line of activity going until it was time to take a personal interest in guarding Mr. John Gadsden.

I had Gadsden's itinerary from Washington, DC, to Mexico, DF. I figured that the assassination attempt would take place between Alabama and Mexico. Gadsden was a train nut, so I would have known that he would be traveling by train, even if I didn't have it already written down.

The amount of gold stored in that mine I just blew up could not have come from that mine, alone; therefore, I had to look around to see if there were any more places nearby also producing gold for Mr. Hudson's nefarious plans. Logic said that there must be more mines, and it was up to me to find them. I had been lucky the first time; maybe I could stay that lucky.

I sat around rocking and thinking for the rest of the morning, up until time for lunch. Up in the 23rd Century, I had developed a taste for Mexican food, so I figured that I owed it to myself to indulge in the authentic stuff while I had the chance. I asked the desk clerk for a recommendation, and I took a chance on his choice.

I didn't speak Spanish very well, so I was not sure what kind of reception I would get, but I had my guns, so I figured that I could take care of myself. As I walked down the sidewalk past an alley, I heard a loud whisper, "Hey, Mister, please help me?" It was a female voice, so I couldn't help but stop, though I was smart enough not to step into the alley before I checked it out.

I looked into the alley, and I saw a young woman, hardly more than a girl, huddled against the wall of a general store. I said, "Certainly, Miss, I'll do what I can for you. How may I help?" She was alone, so I took a chance and stepped into the alley.

She said, "Mister, I ain't had nothing ta eat in three days, and I'm powerful hongry. Could ya give me a dime soz I could git soumpthin' ta eat?"

"I'll go better than that. I'm headed for that Mexican restaurant in the next block. You come with me, and I will treat you to a full meal."

"Oh, Mister, I hope ya ain't lyin' ta me, cuz I could eat a horse: hide, hair, and hooves. Do ya mean it?"

"I sure do. Come along and we'll have a nice dinner and fill you up, I hope." The girl, for I now saw that she could not be a day over 15 years old, grabbed my hand and started pulling me toward the restaurant. We walked in and were seated before another word was said.

"Young lady, I am Michael Johnson. Please tell me your name? I do like to know whom I am eating with."

"Oh, sorry. Howdy, Mr. Johnson. My name is Abigail O'Halloran, but you kin call me 'Abi.'"

"Fine, Abi, then you may call me 'Mike.' You don't look underfed. Why are you begging for food at this time?"

"It's kind of embarrassin', but I tell ya my story as soon as I gits some food inside me." She smiled at that, and I smiled back at her. The waitress came up, and we ordered. Practically as fast as she could walk to the kitchen and walk back, the waitress delivered the best-smelling food I'd had since I entered this time. Abi began to eat ravenously, and I took my first bite of local Mexican food.

I thought that I had bitten into a live coal, and I immediately began to drink the beer that I had ordered with the meal. Abi said, "Mike, ifen ya ain't used ta this stuff, ya better take tiny bites. It won't be long 'til ya kin eat regular."

My mouth had cooled off enough for me to continue eating, but I waved at the waitress for another bottle of beer. I thanked Abi for the hint and took her advice. This time, I could handle the pain, though I still had to drown the fire with more beer. Abi pointed out the items that were not so spicy, and those I was able to eat. I finally got enough to satisfy me, but Abi kept eating, first from her platter, then from mine.

"Abi, I fear that you will be sick if you keep consuming food at such a rate. We are in no hurry. Please slow down and enjoy your food."

"Sorry, Mike, I did not mean to gobble like that. I tell ya what, I'll tell ya my story while I'm lettin' this here food settle.

"Four nights ago, my Pa said that it was time I started paying my own way. He was tired of paying fer everything an' wanted me ta earn some money. He said that I was pretty enough, so I could easily earn a lot of money as a saloon whore.

"I told him that I didn't want ta do that. I had heard about it an' I really didn't know what ta do. He grabbed my arm an' started pulling me toward the bed. He said he would show me all I had ta know. The moment he turned my arm loose ta lower his pants, I ran.

"I was so scared that I didn't wait ta saddle the old mule we had. I jus' took off runnin'. I hid out in the brush all night. I saw Pa come looking fer me, an' he wuz carryin' a buggy whip, soz I knew that I wuz in fer a beatin' ifen he caught me. I took off fer town the next day. When I got here, I looked around fer a job, but the only thin' I could find wuz jobs whorin', an' I don't wanna do that. I was pretty desperate when I found ya."

"Damn, Abi, I'll take care of you for a few days until we can find some work for you. I don't plan to be around Las Vegas much longer, but I'll see what I can come up with."

"Oh, Mike, thank ya, thank ya, thank ya. Ya can't imagine how much better that makes me feel. Ya kin have my body all ya want fer that kind of he'p."

"No, no, Abi. You misunderstand. I want nothing in return. I just want to help you, not to take your body."

Abi started to cry. "Ya don't want me. Ain't I pretty enough fer ya? Here, look, I got a pussy just like any other girl." I managed to stop her as she started to pull her skirt above her waist.

"Now, wait a minute, Abi. Let's discuss this like two adults. You continue to misunderstand me. I find your body very attractive, but I am able to resist the charms of the flesh as long as you don't push too hard. Where I come from, people are helpful without getting paid for their efforts. Now, relax, and let me help you."

"Oh, Mike, you are so sweet! OK, let me eat some more an' we kin leave. Let's go to your hotel, and we kin talk about it."

I know that I am naive, but Abi had no trouble in tricking me. Sometimes, I am too trusting for my own good. I paid for the lunches, and we walked back toward my hotel. We had gotten about 20 yards when I heard a man yell. Hell, it was almost a roar.

I glanced up, astounded at the sound, only to see a man of about 30-35 running toward us, brandishing a large bowie knife. He was shouting, "YA BADSTARD! YA CAN'T HAVE HER! SHE'S MY DAUGHTER, AN' SHE'LL WHORE FER ME OR FER NOBODY." Several passers-by stopped to look at the scene in wonder and amusement.

Abi jumped behind me and screamed. "DON'T LET HIM CATCH ME! PLEASE! HE'LL KILL US BOTH!"

I was as surprised as the other people, but I shouted, "STOP WHERE YOU ARE! I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU, BUT I WILL IF YOU FORCE ME!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.