Bell Whistles' Secrets
Chapter 4: An Interlude

Copyright© 2009 by JimWar

We had a long talk that evening with Irma over a hastily prepared supper. Audra's face was a lovely red during most of the conversation. I'm sure that she would have been happier if I had not been quite as forthcoming in my description of our relationship but I didn't want to take a chance that I was misunderstood. Irma sagely nodded her agreement as I proceeded. In the end most of her questions were for Audra.

"Whatever gave you the idea that I wouldn't approve of you sleeping with Joe? Is it because I am old? You think that because I'm old I have old fashioned ideas. The important thing to remember is that I whole-heartedly approved of your relationship. I'm not your mother but I doubt she'd be too upset with you anyway. You know she left her home and lived with your father for a good bit before they were properly married. I know for a fact that they didn't sleep in separate beds before they were married. In any case it's more a matter of being right for each other and it's easy to see that you two are..."

Then Irma laughed and said, " ... and besides, sometimes you fight like you're already married."

Audra blushed even more deeply.

Irma continued, " ... and another thing. Stop treating me like company. Let me cook and clean and act like this is my house again. I want to really live here. I don't want to feel like I'm one of these relics that I collected."

I think that last statement shocked us both. Audra was contrite as she replied, "I just wanted to make you feel at home. We both want you to feel like family. Don't we, Joe?"

I was quick to add, "Of course we do. I've lived alone for so many years that I've almost forgotten what family means. Please let me know if I mess up. This is new for all of us so it may take a while before we're all comfortable."

Irma smiled and said, "I hope it doesn't take too long; I'm an old lady you know."

Audra put her hands on her hips and said, "You're not old. Why, you're not any older than my mother."

Irma turned serious and said, "You may be right but I'm old enough to have outlived my husband. I sat around in this house for quite a few years wondering if I was really of any use to anyone. It may sound funny but Chad's ill health made me feel needed for the first time in many, many years. I know for a fact that I don't want to be taken care of any more. I've had enough of that."

Audra got up and hugged Irma. She said, "You cared for me and were very important to me while I grew up. Sometimes I feel like you had more to do with raising me than my own parents. When mom was busy, and she was always busy, I knew I could come to you with my hurts and problems and that you always had time for me."

I tried to lighten the moment by saying, "So, I'm living with my mother-in-law and I'm not even married yet."

The glare I got from Audra let me know really quick that she wasn't big on in-law jokes. I quickly added, "It was a joke."

Audra murmured, just under her breath, "Not much of one."

Irma laughed and patted Audra's hand. She looked at me and said, "I think that's the root of the problem. I don't want to be the mother-in-law. You kids need to live your own lives. I know you can't act like I'm not here. Heavens, I don't know if my heart could take that anyway, but you need to have your own space. It will be better when I'm settled in down here."

Then she looked at Audra, patted her hand again, and said, "Now go over there and hug that big guy. He's pretty special you know. Not many men would invite an old lady to stay with them right before they got married."

Audra again said, "You're not old."

Then she came over with a smile and gave me a quick hug and a peck on the cheek. I took her hands and asked her, "Does this mean that we're back on the same page?"

Audra saucily answered, "What page is that? The one where I make your coffee and warm your bed at night?

She laughed at the look on my face and then jumped up as I pinched her butt.

A few minutes later we were all busily reminiscing about the events of the long day. I explained to both interested women about what I was attempting to do with the map overlay. We all debated as to what the treasure could be and all agreed that finding it had nothing to do with the actual value but more about solving another puzzle presented by the old house.

With all of our discussion we went up to bed late that Saturday evening. As we all made our way up the stairs I was anticipating an immediate return to the way things had been. I was disappointed when Audra entered the same bedroom she had slept in the night before. Irma continued on down the hall to her own door where she turned to me and said, "Give her some time, Joe."

I was disappointed as I began to strip off my clothes and looked at the large four poster bed in front of me. I sat down on the edge of the bed to take off my shoes and wondered how much longer I would have to wait. One thing I knew in my heart; Audra was worth waiting for. I cut out the bedside light and climbed under the covers. Just as I was drifting off to sleep the door to my room opened. I glanced over as Audra entered the room and silently walked around the bed. I gasped at her beauty as she passed the foot of the bed and was momentarily silhouetted in the light of the full moon.

She heard my gasp and stopped where she was and turned to face me. Facing me she let her sheer housecoat fall off her shoulders as she asked, "What?"

I sat up in bed with my eyes straining to take in all of her beauty and replied, "Your beauty took my breath away."

Audra let her housecoat fall to the floor and crawled over the footboard onto the foot of the bed and made her way up the bed into my arms. Almost immediately we both drifted off to sleep. The last thing I remembered was feeling comforted by the rhythmic sound of Audra's breathing.

I awoke with Audra still cuddled in my arms and found the moonlight of the previous evening replaced by bright sunlight streaming through the eastern facing windows at the head of the bed. Somehow in the excitement of Audra's return the previous evening I had neglected closing the blinds. Thinking back on the sight of Audra walking into the room in the moonlight, I doubted whether I would ever close those blinds in the evening again.

I spooned even closer to Audra's naked form as she slept. I lightly kissed her neck as it seemed to beckon me close by on my own pillow. That moment should be listed as an example in Mr. Webster's dictionary under the word contentment. My heart was fairly racing as I lay there. The sweet fragrance of her hair seemed renewed by every breath I took. I pulled Audra closer to me and closed my eyes trying to imprint this moment in my mind. I tried to return to sleep but the feel of Audra's naked breast under my hand was too stimulating to my libido.

I honestly tried to think of other things to avoid disturbing Audra's sleep. Finally I realized that I was too stimulated to sleep any longer and if I lingered in bed any longer I wouldn't be able to resist waking my princess. Reluctantly I pulled away from her and got up as quietly as possible. I quietly made my way to my dresser and removed clean clothes that I intended to change into in the adjoining bathroom after a quick shower.

I accomplished my task fairly quickly and afterwards tried to tiptoe through the bedroom to the hallway. I almost made it to the door when Audra awoke. She sat up holding the sheet to her chest, looked around and mumbled, "Where are you going?"

"I didn't want to disturb you. You looked so peaceful lying there I was trying not to wake you. You did such a fine job warming my bed last night I decided to make my own coffee this morning."

Audra looked puzzled for a moment and I thought my weak attempt at humor had zinged right over her head but after a moment of hesitation she yawned and stretched, allowing the sheet to fall from her bare chest. Then while I was hypnotized by her charms she swung her feet onto the floor and backhanded me with my own pillow.

Then, as I was recovering, she stood on her tiptoes and gave me a buss on the lips. After smiling she said, "Maybe tomorrow I'll make your coffee and let you warm your own bed."

With that said she picked up her discarded housecoat and headed naked across the hall into her own bedroom to change; leaving me with my mouth opened trying to think of a suitable response.

As soon as I reached the kitchen Mr. Whiskers began rubbing up against my leg and continued to do so until I fed him his morning ration of premium cat food. I put the teapot on and had just started making the coffee when Audra appeared and with a smug look took the coffee canister out of my hand. She stuck her tongue out at me and said, "That's my job."

I kissed the top of her head and replied, "Yes, dear."

Mr. Whiskers looked over as if to say, "Oh, please! Spare me the sniveling."

It was still early and so we agreed to walk to Dennon's for some morning pastry. We decided if Irma wanted something else, she could make it. On the way we talked about the upcoming week. Audra asked me about my plans for the week.

"You know I have to get involved in the business again. I know Hector seems to be on top of things but it's my business, not his. Besides he's going to need the week off to get together with the bank on that home he wants to buy."

Audra and I were holding hands as I spoke. She asked, "So why don't you take Hector by the bank and introduce him around?"

I lifted her hand and kissed the back of it and answered, "Good idea. I'm thinking about introducing him around to all the bankers I deal with. If we expand into renovations and construction, the business is going to need another contact person."

Audra said, "You need to make him more than a contact person. You need to bring him in as a partner. That way you won't be so tied down to the business. I don't ever want to feel trapped at home like Irma felt."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.