An Uncommon Precedence - Cover

An Uncommon Precedence

Copyright© 2009 by Yoron

Chapter 3

The ball was a clear success and the girls got themselves a overwhelming amount of dance offers. So much that in the end they all became tired meeting that constant queue of charming young men in handsome uniforms, all begging for that moment of their grace. The only wallflower there was Leonard but he didn't really mind.

It reminded him of the time before Magma when he had been a 'nobody', and it felt good to get this moment of reflection. His life had surely changed since meeting them. He looked at them as they danced with the, to him, all too earnest and hopeful young men, enjoying themselves in their reflected admiration.

He had been freer before, he realized, but not happier. Sometimes it felt as if a wind was blowing straight through him, as if he wasn't there at all. The Japanese had a catchy description for that feeling in their cherry blossoms, falling to the ground so fast.

As if a whole life was between that single moment they bloomed and fell, finally resting on the ground. That feeling had been following him through most of his life, and he hadn't really expected anything more from it. So? 'Leafs cradled in the wind, songs without start or end'

'Was that life?' he wondered as he sat there unseen, silently watching the people dancing. Finely dressed in a magnificent room, filled with crystal chandeliers, mirrors and laughing people. It seemed as he was watching it through a subtly colored glass, making every motion he saw, every laugh and smile changing into a hovering emptiness threatening his sanity.

Suddenly he knew that he never had aspired to be here. This wasn't his way, neither was it Alene's, nor Magmas. Leoine and Loise might hold it closer to their hearts, but who was he to judge? They were all the same as he, no matter their wisdom or age. Fragile beings all, easily shattered when life's diamond cut their flesh.

It made him think of those Tibetan monks starving in order to take upon themselves the suffering of others. Was that the truth behind all glamour, that we all were expected to take upon us others suffering? To acknowledge and recognize them. Would that be true justice? Was that why so few choose that path?

Deep in thought, as well as vaguely distraught over the morbid paths his thoughts seemed to take lately, he tried to find some lighter truths. Now, where were his girls? He looked around trying to find them in that throng of happy people but they seemed to have dissolved into the dances whirling pattern. He tried to comfort himself with that his girls loved him, and that he knew he loved them back.

But there was still that feeling, as if some profound truth was hidden in his mind just out of reach, a nagging feeling of seeing something to diffuse to define. The closest he had found to healing was Alene? The one that could have became the darkest of them all. But also perhaps the bravest fighting back, in the end almost dying for her dreams.

Was that why he found her to be so unique? At well as being the most easily shattered 'Now, why is that?' he thought as he tried to relax on that finely made chair. Because she had needed him, no matter why or how, and still did? 'Is that all?' he wondered. To give shelter? No, she meant more to him than just that. As he tried to follow his thoughts he found that they seemed to dissolve into other thoughts leaving him unnourished, still hungering for answers.

In the end he found it best to just leave it be. He resolutely tried to shake himself out of that morose lethargy that had settled over him as he saw Alene coming back escorted by a young gentleman. She smiled warmly at him as she thanked him for the wonderful dance, letting the young man go still basking in her smile. She turned to Leonard suddenly looking worried, as if something had disturbed her.

"Leonard would you mind terribly if we went home? I'm not feeling well, it's so hot here and awfully stuffy."

He felt her violet searchlights boring through his mental fogginess in their silent questioning. He gazed back into those violet whirlpools, admiring her quiet pose of assurance and once more wondering how long this luck of his would hold. And without knowing it in the process making Alene feel as if he was looking into her very soul, and still finding her fair. She blushed furiously but refused to look away.

"You look tired too Leonard." she said at last. "Would you mind?"

"Alene, your wish is my command. Would you give me the honor of this dance first?" She blushed some more as she concurred with his request.

As they danced he suddenly realized that he was holding her as if she was some fragile crystal, gently guiding her through the trough's, peaks and eddies of the waltz. Without knowing it he once more lost himself in those eyes, the people and music just fading away.

"I must have told you that I love you Alene, but would you mind if I said it again?" He asked gently. She smiled at him and moved closer as they let the music sweep them away.

The colonel, who had wrestled the whole evening with where he recognized her from, couldn't help see the strong affinity those two shared, and the gentle care with which they touched each other. Magma who was the lady he happened to dance with then smiled softly as she saw where he looked.

"Yes, Leonard cares a lot for his Alene, we all do colonel. She had some terrible experiences, not wholly her fault. But she's on the way to recovery now."

Suddenly the colonel remembered. 'The black witch at the wheel of fortune. The same name, and the description fitted too, even though the girl herself didn't.' The deeds had described someone without neither heart or care, using and abusing people, to finally discard them as broken toys. But this Alene definitely cared he thought as he saw her being borne into the dance.

He looked back at Magma, a thoughtful almost pained expression fleetingly coloring his look, remembering he felt as if suddenly enclosed in a vice. "My dear, someday you will have to tell me more about her. You see, I knew one alike her, by reputation only, same name though? Quite a coincidence, don't you think? Perhaps you should suggest that the young lady changed it?" Magma hugged him closer as she leaned to his ear whispering.

"Sir, Leoine was right when she said you were a gentleman. And yes, perhaps she should change that unlucky name, but as it is hers I expect her to refuse. But never the less you are right, her story is a tale well worth knowing, although at times hard to stomach."

The colonel nodded, his clear cut face relaxing in a almost gentle fashion. "Yes, that's what I thought too. A illness perhaps?"

Magma studied his face looking for clues as to what he was thinking. "Sir, in a manner of speaking life threatening, but in the end she found a cure for it herself. And that is a feat few granted."

"Give her my regards and best wishes lady, tell her that life seldom offer us the narrow path. Ah yes, and I think Leoine is waving at us."

As Magma looked she saw her waving at them impatiently. When they came over to her she looked at the colonel. "Sir, our Alene has taken ill and as I too find myself exhausted by all this dancing I wondered. Would you be kind enough to be my escort to the hotel?"

The colonel looked at her as if he didn't believe his ears. "Would you leave them bereaved lady. Look at all those fine young men waiting at your slightest nod."

"Well sir, sometimes one look for a wine of slightly older vintage." She studied him again, her eyes searching his questioningly.

"So? would you do me the honor of escorting me home Allain?"

"How can any man refuse you Leoine?" Saying it he took her by her arm and bowed to Magma, Loise and Anna who stood beside her. They nodded their acceptance.

"Take good care of her Allain." Said Anna.

"Oh, I hope that to be mutual, Ladies."

He bowed again leaving them with a happy, almost carefree smile. They were joined by Alene and Leonard outside the mansion. Seeing her state of exhaustion he called for a gig and ushered them in, telling Leonard to take good care of his lady. Leonard smiled back finding himself starting to like this withdrawn, rather quiet man.

"Thank you sir for a most pleasant evening, I will do my best. And may I wish you and your lady a good night too." The colonel nodded briskly at them as he sent the coachman on his way. He then turned to Leoine, for the first time allowing himself to openly admire her beauty.

"My lady, you, me, and the stars, who could ask for more? And still you outshine them all."

Leoine smiled warmly at him. "Allain you old flatterer, if I didn't know better I would say you were coming on to me."

"The very thought my lady. Your virtue rests safely with me. As safely as you wish, I assure you."

She started to laugh. "You know Allain, you almost got me worried for a second there. Rest assured that I place myself in your gentle hands the whole night, my gallant cavalier." Sharing their quiet laughter they started walking hand in hand, waiving away the coachman, into the starry night.

It was very late before Anna, Magma and Loise came back. They came escorted by a band of ardent admirers, waking the whole house before the proprietor succeeded in getting them to leave. For the girls the night had been just what they needed, filled with music and laughter.

Wishing Anna goodnight Magma and Loise sneaked into the double room they shared with the others. By silent agreement they left the two sleeping alone. Alene was wrapped in Leonard's arms and she seemed so restful as she slept. He opened a sleepy eye as he heard them whisper.

"A good night?" he asked. "Ah, very good." Answered Loise.

Magma who was a little tipsy smiled dreamily. "Sweet dreams lover. And hold her tight." kissing his and Alene's brows.

He started to snore almost immediately after they tiptoed into the other room, still whispering and giggling.

The day after was very much a introspective one for the ladies. There came flowers with hand written messages at even intervals fairly divided between them. Anwar suspiciously studied Anna who had gotten quite a share.

"Ahem, something you would like to tell me Anna?"

She smiled sweetly at him, enjoying his jealous unease a little time before assuring him. "Don't worry Anwar. You're quite the man for me you old heathen. But thanks for asking." He muttered something in return, but the food soon took over his attention. Well, thought Anna a little philosophically. Whoever it was that first saw that a mans way to love goes through his stomach sure got it right.

Leoine and Allain sat at a table of their own talking discreetly, laughing now and again. And the rest of the company sat at the same table as yesterday in front of the fireplace sharing their breakfast, chewing the fat. Leonard tried to feel if he was jealous at the colonel but found that he wasn't. He saw how Leoine and the colonel seemed to fit together, like two slightly worn gloves, not that Leoine looked old, just sort of mature. Different from when she was with him.

'Strange how we change attitudes with different people' he thought idly as he finished his coffee. But remembering how old she might be in reality he could see how she might find a more mature conversation a balm at times. "Alene. Do you find me immature at times." She looked at him surprised. Seeing that he seemed serious she shook her head. "No Leonard, young and impulsive, yes. Immature, no." He breathed out a little.

Leoine and Allain came over to join them after the breakfast. He bowed at them and said. "I have to leave, and sadly I don't expect us to meet for quite some while. The Crowns business I'm afraid. I just want to thank you for relieving a old man from his loneliness, and wish you all god speed in you endeavors. And naturally, to see my lady safely back in her family's bosom."

Leonard listened impressed. That guy really had a way with words. "Thank you sir, may we wish you the same? And a good return." Allain smiled and nodded to them giving Leoine a fleeting kiss on her cheek. She grabbed him to give him a hearty one back. "Just so you remember." She said mischievously. "And be safe Allain." He smiled at them, kissed Leoine once more, and left.

'Well, that's that.' Thought Leonard, checking on what deals had been made he found out that it was much the same as for in the fishing village. In exchange for the ships protection the town would arranger for free border for the sailors having leave and provision and munitions for the ships. There were also a promise to lift the ships up in a drydock before leaving for home to clean their bottoms from barnacles and other organism, giving them an general overhaul. Also they would stand for the sailors pay as well as for a general sum for the hiring as long as the ships were there. Anwar seemed quite satisfied so Leonard guessed that the deal was good. Leoine agreed too when she heard about it.

"Ah, Anwar. You prince of princes. That is one of the best deals you've made methinks." Then she became a little suspicious.

"Did you ask why they wanted to give you that much?" Anwar looked a little pained as if he really didn't wanted that question so soon. Then he cleared his throat and said.

"Ah, nothing is easy Leoine. As you suspect there will probably be some work to do for us. Every year this countryside is getting raided by the northern free states. They are a loosely held federation of, well, barbarians they called them. They have smaller but fast ships and usually only appear when they had a hard times like famines and such. Until now they've been accepted as part of life for the seaside towns. There is not so much pillaging as there is ransoms paid to keep them away. But lately there have been rumors of a new chief consolidating his power, and it seems that he wants more than just sea-raids. The talk says that he is planning for a full scale invasion. The King doesn't expect that to happen any time near but we came as gifts from the Gods to them. They are strengthening their navy but as fast and big ships as ours will make a difference"

Leoine listened, her appearance becoming troubled. 'So we come in bad times then.' She thought. But then again, when ever had times been just good?

"Well Anwar. We don't have a choice anyway. We need somewhere to stay and if this is right my guess is that there is no place safe, if we don't sail around this continent. But here we're reasonably near Irmal, and we have people waiting for us back home desperately needing those stones. So yes, the deal is good, but we will need to leave a larger contingent than we planned to man the ships."

"Yes, you're right methinks. Me and Anna will stay, and I thought about Tiny as the commander on your ship, would you agree to that?." Leoine nodded even though she was disappointed that Tiny wouldn't follow their expedition. She had counted on his advice. With her ship the command chain was loose, they were more like a cooperative with everyone having a share in the proceedings. And it was through common sense and free elections Leoine held her position. Tiny had been the ships second choice and as she saw it as good as her.

"You're right, but this means we will be shorter of men than we planned." Anwar nodded, grimly studying the carefree guest laughing and talking. 'It would be nice' he thought 'to just be like them, not having a care."

"We will have to make do with what we have. You, the girls and Leonard. You will have to look for able bodied men here I'm afraid. Perhaps you can get your colonel to recommend some? After all, the expedition is mostly a magical one and the number of mundane's won't make a difference there methinks."

"There you may be wrong." Magma said. "We will need protection both to there and back. There is some seriously wild country between here and the portal of stones. The proprietor told me they were holding a market today. We could go look, sometimes mercenaries for hire gathers to them too. And if I wasn't misinformed Leoine, the colonel was going there too."

Leoine seemed to perk up a little hearing that. "Yes." She said. "What a good idea." She wondered about herself, she had thought herself perfectly happy with Leonard and the girls but here she was, moody without reason and still thinking of Allain. "Let's go ladies, Leonard?"

They left Anna and Anwar to go to the ships to have a gathering with the crews discussing the propositions made. Anwar hoped and expected them all to agree, but he was also sure there would be a lively discussion before it. "Let's go too Anna." He said. "Better get it done before it gets late."

As the others walked the market they found it much to their liking. There were a lot of colorful tents selling wares, a horserace, jugglers and acrobats and comic performances. There were also goods from over the whole world thought Leonard.

"How can it be so big?" he asked confused, considering the towns size this fair seemed almost as big. Leoine smiled. "They only have the fair one day a year and they've had it for a long time Leonard. It have grown in fame and is one of the reasons that this town is so prosperous."

'It's so cool' he thought. The sun was high in the sky and the wind was just a fresh breeze making an almost transparent etheric quality to the fair. To Leonard it felt just like late summer moving into autumn with the weak wind bringing with it smells of apples roasted over fire, meat seasoned in hickory fire and honey, cinnamon and a blend of other strange spices all mixed into a life breathing elixir.

It was as if his steps became lighter and springier just by being there. They created no small commotion coming, four vivaciously vibrating young ladies, yet marked by a wisdom outside their years and with all of them being in the same high spirits. Studying them closer the viewer might have noticed that they all were centered around a young man that seemed totally oblivious to the effect they were making, as he looked at the fair with the innocent and impressed gaze of a child seeing its first toy store.

The girls found it quite hard to get him to remember why they were there and Leonine wasn't much better. From the first moment she found herself occupied with looking for Allain, finding nothing else being of interest to her. The other girls though found themselves quite impressed. Not that they hadn't seen larger fairs but the arrangement still impressed them, coming as it was from such a comparatively small town.

The laughter from the crowd combined with the eyes they got from the men, as well as from some women, made them all smile as they made their way. Sitting under the shade drinking a refreshment Allain noticed them coming. He really liked Leoine, knowing her kin from before he made no great expectations of their short relation. And his thoughts were dark today, and bitter. As he saw them he debated with himself if she could call their notice when Leoine's searching eyes at last found him, her face opening in one big sunny smile.

"Allain." She called happily running to him. "I've been looking for you all over the fair." Kissing him fully on his lips. He sat there for a bit, a little stunned by her buoyancy, feeling his correct facial mask break up in a wide smile, just as big and goofy as hers. "Leoine. I missed you too." He finally admitted returning her kiss with one of his own, just as good. The others catching up to her interrupted them after some minutes.

"You're just as two teenagers in heat." Said Loise complainingly. "Get a room" said Leonard laughing, unable to keep silent. "Where is your military composure Allain." Scolded Magma. "And your dignity, Leoine." Allain and Leoine looked at each other, still smiling. "We must have lost them somewhere dear." Said Allain. "Yesternight." Hollering it, losing all inhibitions. And so the beginning of a scandal to be whispered over tea party's for years took its firs shape. "The behavior of it." "Forgetting his age." Whispered behind them, and naturally "what's wrong with the girls we have."

The colonel lost much of his popularity then and there, but he couldn't care less. A beautiful day, the lady of his dreams at his arm and for once, some good company. "Once more saved from boredom Leoine. Are you planning to make this a regular feature?" She looked at him seeming to think a little. And then nodded. "You know what Allain, I suspect I just might at that. Would you mind?" Allain shook his head. "No Leoine. I was sitting contemplating my retirement. I'm tired as if, I don't know, as if I was losing my consistence?"

"So what was that about the crowns business then?" asked Magma listening in without shame.

"Oh, that's simple enough, they have a horse market here later. I'm here as a procurator for the cavalry. But you are right, there is something more that I recently have found myself unable to comply with." Leoine looked at him wondering what that might be.

"And so you want to resign the Crowns service? Won't you lose all benefits you've collected then?"

Allain smiled at her. "Well, I'm hoping it may be worth it. No, allow myself to stand corrected, meeting you I know it will be worth it." He looked at Leoine, against all odds wishing that she might feel the same for him as he for her. But all the same it was true, lately he had begun to feel doubts. He had been stuck as a colonel for all to long now, and furthermore, the new demands put on him were questionable, more becoming for a spy or some secret police than a simple soldier. Feeling vaguely disgusted with it all he started to explain.

"I've being asked, no ordered, to create a military division of 'advisors' to the crown. I'm not entirely sure what it entails, but amongst other, things, we are expected to collect wrongdoers of magical ability, to later be put to use by us." He looked at them slightly disgusted "I'm not even sure if it's sanctioned by the Crown. It has a sick stale flavor to it speaking little of justice and all to much of injustice. And when meeting you Leoine, as well as you Alene, my decision just became so much easier."

Suddenly Magma realized what he meant, she remembered their discussion the day before. "A brave decision Sir, as well as a most moral one. Would that leave you free to consider another consignment perhaps?" Leoine suddenly smiled sunnily at her, her reasoning much the same.

He studied them somewhat surprised. "Are you offering me work Magma?" He seemed to find it a little amusing, but soon got serious again. "Well, as I've fulfilled my contracted period yesterday and still haven't signed the new, I'm totally at your service madam. may I just ask what perks might be?"

"Mee." Squealed Leoine shining like a sun, throwing herself solidly in his lap declaring. "Sir, you can consider yourself my prisoner. You are hereby assigned the command of our soon to be marines on the free ship 'The Dolphins Luck'. Will you accept?"

"So I'm a prisoner then, but of love perhaps? There seems worse destines Leoine. And me begetting a sea-command again, extending my power over nonexistent marines? It's an honor indeed. To long a time since I've seen the sea Leoine, your captive accepts."

Leoine squealed in delight again as she sat in his lap smothering his face with kisses. 'Just like some empty headed bimbo." Leonard thought, surprised that she would sink so low. But as he looked at her again he realized that she actually didn't care for what people thought. She was just happy. And the colonel looked as if he suddenly found life bearable again, smiling as he was under her onslaught.

Magma cleared her throat some more calling for attention. "Well Sir, we need those nonexistent marines at the soonest in fact. And our journey is not at sea. We are planning to go to Irmal and the portal of the stones. We expect the path to be fraught with unknowns and would like to have a dependable little force of our own. That's the main reason we went here today Allain. Well, with the exception of our little teenager there." Looking pointedly at Leoine, who just stuck out her tongue in response.

"We were hoping to ask you for advice, but this is even better than we could have hoped for. The pay will at least be the one you drew before, and for the benefits? I hope you find them to your satisfaction?"

The colonel seemed to consider it for a moment and then stood up still keeping Leoine firmly in his arms. "The benefits is definitely to my satisfaction lady. And as I'm those perks helpless prisoner I suspect I will have to carry her for the rest of my miserable life." Looking at his 'benefit' with a surprisingly mixed amount of hope, confusion, and plain good humor.

Leonard realized that Leoine was lost to him and the ladies now. But she seemed so happy, just as the colonel, he couldn't help but smile watching them as they continued to walk the fair. The colonel carrying Leoine as if she weighted less than a feather, and her happily chattering away with him, her sisters and Leonard.

As soon as someone tried to ask why he was carrying her the colonel just looked very serious, explaining that he was her prisoner and therefore not allowed to release her. It sounded idiotic to Leonard so probably it sounded the same to all others too, but noticing the gleeful cool glint in Allain eyes as he presented his case, most found his answer to be perfectly sufficient for their needs.

"Allain, do you have any ideas where we should go look?" Leonard asked. The colonel curiously studied him some more. Leoine had told him about their former relations and he knew that her kin seldom bound themselves to mundane's. But the boy was alright by him, acting as if it was perfectly okay to see his former girlfriend declaring her new love, right in his face. Now, he admitted grudgingly, that had to take a certain pose and fortitude.

"Well Leonard, I still need to visit the horse market. And we will need a few good horses ourselves too to make that track to Irmal. There is also the possibility of finding some men for our needs. But yes, I know some other spots too." He finished sounding somewhat ambiguous but Leonard forgave him seeing how tenderly he cradled his newest most precious belonging close to his heart.

"Well colonel, we'll just take the opportunity to follow you, and perhaps learn something new too." He answered as he lifted Alene up in his embrace. "Watch Sir, how closely I'm prepared to study that state craft of yours." And so they went to the horse market. One young, one old, both bearing the joy of their lives in their arms, with two enchanting young women sauntering just behind them, stalking, whispering and laughing. And Alene's flushed face was a sight to see for all.

No matter how forward Leoine could be Alene just wasn't used to being so helplessly taken care off. Most of her life had gone to command others, be it on good or bad, and this left her sorely unprepared. She tried to relax but found she had to hide her face in Leonard's chest. As he noticed her uncomforted behavior he smiled and started to whisper to her.

"All the men seeing us wish they would be the one carrying you Alene, think of that. And all the girls are jealous that their men won't do the same, we might set a new trend here girl. Alene peeped out from chest and noticed that he seemed to have gotten it mostly right.

Some of the men who saw her and Leoine had indeed gotten a strange dreamy look, and more than one looked searchingly to their spouse as if trying to judge the impact if they would do the same. And some of the girls watching did seem to be wishing that they too would be so up borne.

She relaxed suddenly, feeling quite buoyant in her new cast as a role model for the only rightful and proper way to communicate a fair. Even going so far as to wave to some blushing teenage girls, giggling helplessly at the sight of them.

"Ah the frolicking youth of today." Commented a voice behind her. That must be Magma thought Alene. "Yes, so uncontrolled and emotional." Said another. Loise? "Should we inquire if there were place for one more?" "Yes, there seems a lot unfortunates without a steed."

Alene looked up on Leonard, it gave her an idea. The way she had broken her spell not only left her powerless to his needs but also made possible for her to canalize, or rather for him to use, her magical abilities. She wasn't really prepared to let him know how far she had left herself open, and she wasn't even sure if her sister knew.

Not that she didn't trust him, or them, but her life so far had left her little opportunity to trust, neither her nor anyone else. Even with the best of intentions corruption was still possible. Still, even if she didn't really needed him to know that yet, there was still some fun to be had she thought feeling racy.

"Leonard would you like to be able to carry us all three?" she whispered. "I'm afraid the others are starting to feel deprived."

Leonard gave her a questioning look. "Just relax and wish for it." she said earnestly. "And visualize yourself holding us, It will help."

As he did he felt as if some strange strength flowed into his muscles. He felt strong enough to take on a ox. He turned to the two frivolous ladies loudly comparing his and Allain's behind.

"My sweetheart told me that all you lacked was a good steed?" he asked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.