After the Big Fall
Prologue: 2116- Nap Time

Copyright© 2009 by Greyloc Stormshadow

He looked around the room one last time. Everything looked to be in perfect order, all the chambers were closed (frost covered the clear plastisteel). The computers were running at 105% efficiency and should only loose five percent over the next hundred or so years, power systems are rated to operate at full capacity for over two hundred years. Turning towards the door he looks back one last time. Doctor Francis(Frank, to his friends) Nathaniel Stein, the genius that created The Stasis Chamber (Cold Sleep) system. Dehydrate the body, replace the blood supply with synthblood (carries twice the oxygen as standard blood, along with being a perfect medium for nanites and will not freeze even at two degrees Kelvin), hold the body in hypothermia (eighty-two degrees for one week) slowly drop the temperature to thirty-four degrees, hold for one week, then slam the body to three degrees Kelvin. The body is then placed in it's own enclosure filled with synthblood, a computer monitoring the life's functions, administering one cardiac pulse every week to keep the body fully oxygenated. Walking from the room the Doctor stops by the outer door and types in his code to allow the computers to take control of the life support system, watching as the door closed and locked itself as if a tomb, his part of this project complete he thought about the torment that he had put those ten young men and women through, years of conditioning both physically and mentally, untold hours of surgery to implant cognitive enhancing modules in their brains, memory storage nodules, stem cells to enhance the corpus callosum and add more "bandwidth" between the cerebral hemispheres. Cybernetic relays to the central nervous system to increase reaction time, dexterity, and agility. Genetic retro viruses to alter the bones, muscles and organs to give them denser skin (rhinoceros hide) yet maintain the soft texture of human skin, to give a greater strength to muscle mass ratio and an increased output of pheromones to make them more attractive to the opposite sex. These soldiers would be the last hope for mankind, altered to breed true with no genetic defects, they would be able to assist with the repopulation of the country, then the world. Inside their minds was the store of all human knowledge, training in all things military. That plus the equipment stored in this facility would allow them to pacify any obstacles they might confront and rebuild civilization. These were the gamble that had been made to prepare for the likelihood of either a global pandemic or nuclear war that would devastate the planet. As Dr. Stein walked from the former missile silo at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas he watched as soldiers closed the final door that sealed the compound against any exterior access for at least one hundred years at the end of which the computers were to assess the situation and determine if it's charges should be activated or if they should remain in slumber for the remaining hundred years, if at that time the project does not need their services they will be awakened and allowed to rejoin whatever society was at that time. His job complete Dr. Frank N. Stein wondered what would become of his creations, would they become the saviors of mankind or monsters that would be its downfall?

Interlude: 2177- A Bad Day For Man

Warning: System Failure- Beginning RestartSystem Restart Complete: System Functioning At 73% Backup Units Functioning At 68%Assessment Commencing!Error!Unable To Reestablish Connection To R.A.D.C. PosilinkUnable To Access Satellite UplinkSensor Update In ProgressDetecting High Levels Of Radiation And Biological Contaminants-:Current Conditions Not Suitable To Support Healthy Level Of Human Life:Project Proper Levels Will Return In 75 Years +/- 10Contact Command For Maintenance Immediately!Chronological Systems Currently At 5%!!Power Levels At 97% And Falling!Current Power Loss Will Place Subjects In Critical Danger In 65 Years +/-5!Emergency Protocols Will Commence Once Power Reaches 22%!Power Shut Down To Subject Capsules To Begin At 22% Remaining Power+++++ Per Command Authorization Capsule Shutdown And Purge Will Commence In Ascending Order Per Rank- Commander Of Facility To Be Kept Alive At All Costs+++++ :Begin Structural Reconstruction:

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.