Incoming - Cover

Incoming

Copyright© 2009 by Remo Jackson

Chapter 14

In the ensuing hours, Broderian forces rousted the Newson infiltrators and captured all but the few who lacked the capability to destroy themselves.

"This was entirely too easy." General Curtis said to the gathered officers. Murmurs swept around the room as most nodded or voiced their agreement. Curtis turned to the status board.

"The fleet has beat back the Newson Armada and, surprisingly captured a few of their ships. A remarkable feat in itself. As of 1920hours, we still hold this planet and have numerical superiority around it." Curtis turned and faced the officers. "Intel reports that we may still have stragglers planetside somewhere between company and platoon strength, wandering around and potentially harassing our units. We need to find them before they attempt to link up and recommence hostilities against an Alpha Base." Curtis accentuated this statement with the abrupt closing of the extendable pointer he had been using to highlight the suspected enemy locations.

The room was quiet as Curtis looked around.

"Gentlemen, you have your tasking, lets clean this mess up. Dismissed." The room came to attention as one then turned and filed out. General Smith entered through the side door and approached the status board as Curtis was gathering the briefing materials.

"Not a bad brief Frank." He said as he stared at the board, hands clasped behind his back.

"Thanks Artie." Curtis said glumly as he continued his cleanup. Smith turned slowly and faced Curtis.

"But, there is just one little thing." Smith gestured with his hand, two fingers spaced apart. Curtis looked at the other man, his gaze narrowed.

"What might that be?" he asked as Smith stepped closer, his booted feet almost touching Curtis's as his gaze traveled over the other man.

"We still have the matter of a general officer's murder." Smith said evenly. Curtis almost physically recoiled from the statement, only years of training prevented him from showing a reaction, yet inwardly, his stomach raced towards the back of his throat.

"Why call it a murder? From the reports I've read, it appears to be an unfortunate accident." Curtis fought the urge to swallow, as he tasted bile in his mouth.

Smith turned away and walked back to status board, hands clasped behind his back.

"The initial reports were inaccurate in their findings. I've requested an adjutant from Command to review the evidence and conduct an investigation."

Curtis fought back the stammer that he knew would come out if he didn't take a calming breath.

"That's very prudent of you Artie. But, we're still on a combat footing here. Would that be wise to bring in a non-combatant?" Curtis watched the back of Smith's head as he slowly nodded.

"Quite right Frank. That's why I requested a combat veteran. One who has the experience of conducting investigations during combat operations. One who has the authority to go any where, talk to any one, up to and including, general officers." Smith turned and faced Curtis.

"One who will get the job done, no matter the cost." Curtis was thankful the lighting was still low enough so Smith didn't see the color drain from his face.

"He arrives on the next supply run." Smith turned and left the room. Curtis stared at the departing general long after he had left. He reached down and finished placing the remaining items into his case and noticed his hands trembling.

"Damn. Damn. Damn." He muttered as he turned and briskly left the briefing room.

Denninger strode purposely through the passageways of the Archangel. He pushed his way past aides and other support personnel until he stood outside Carson's suite. The door buzzed open and he entered the semi-darkened room. He could barely make out Carson's form as the senator stood looking out the viewport.

"Senator?" he asked tentatively. Carson slowly turned and looked at him. Denninger swallowed quickly before continuing.

"Sir, our source reports that a thorough investigation into Admirals Greerson's death has been requested. Some special adjutant investigator is being sent in." A strange, wicked smile formed on Carson's face.

"Excellent. Truly excellent." The senator said as he walked across the room and poured himself a glass of ambrosia. "Wonderful news Denninger." He said before sipping.

"It is?" a very confused Denninger asked. Carson nodded and quietly sipped more ambrosia, as he pondered out the turn of events.

"Yes, my friend. This is what we've been waiting for. This will be Harrington's downfall. Here we are engaged in combat with an enemy of unknown strength and size and he authorizes an investigation into what is clearly an unfortunate incident."

Carson paused and smiled broadly.

"That's it. We send a media release stating that combat operations are being suspended while Harrington conducts his investigation into the death of his dear, close, friend. Even though we have the enemy on the defensive." He turned away and walked back to the viewport. "Marvelous. Simply marvelous."

Denninger was frantically taking notes. "Add that Harrington refused to send in the Sirius which would have prevented his friend's death and allowed us to control this sector with minimal loss of life." He turned and faced Denninger again.

"Make sure that the source is referred to as an unnamed senior officer who is unhappy with the current situation." He waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "I trust you Denninger, make it good. Now leave me." Carson turned back to the viewport as Denninger hastily made his exit.

Deakins mind raced through a series of possibilities as he made his way through the underground passages retracing his course to the damaged scout vehicle. Where was Crowe and Roberts? For that matter, Wood? He asked himself. He absently rubbed his neck as he walked, trying to work out the stiffness. How was the Cammie simulation able to be generated? She obviously wasn't here. In fact when they last parted, they were barely on speaking terms. Where was all the gear that they had carried in? The darkened passages were now dimly lit as if guiding him. The corridors seemed to continue on into infinity. Finally reaching the lift, although not remembering having walked for that period of time on the way down, Deakins entered and it began to ascend. He rubbed the area between his neck and shoulder again and thought that maybe he had wrenched it during the accident or his capture. The lift moved very slowly and gave Deakins plenty of time to think over what he had witnessed, on the way up, he did some slow neck rolls to loosen up the tightness. When the lift finally reached its destination, the doors whooshed open and revealed the interior of a building. He wasn't at the scout wreckage, but the surface. He stepped out and immediately the doors closed. Deakins spun and saw only a blank wall. He turned back around and walked cautiously towards the doorway and into the rain.

Major Hunter inspected Scout 21's wreckage. His men formed a tight perimeter around the vehicle and had set up floodlights and a full sensor package to investigate the cavern.

"Major! There is a faint trail leading off in that direction." The senior tech reported. Hunter jogged over and viewed the readout. Shaking his head grimly, his eyes slightly squinting.

"Sergeant!"

"Sir?"

"Move the men out. Five meter spread, full scans. Blue team has the point, Gold team provides cover. Swift and silent. You know the drill." Sergeant Hazard motioned to the troopers in the area who formed up and moved out in precise motions. He lingered behind and fell into step with Hunter.

"Sir, what's the Op? Should we notify command and request support?" Hunter unslung his rifle, checked the plasma setting, slapped the bottom of the magazine to ensure proper seating, before turning to Hazard with cold lifeless eyes.

"We get my men back." He said simply as he adjusted his rifle sling to tactical carry.

Deakins stepped out of the building and into the rain. He reached down and pulled his soft cap out of a thigh pocket and put it on to provide some protection. Pulling out a small compass, he took a reading, fixed a landmark and began the hike back to Alpha Base.

Hunter's men moved quietly through the labyrinth like passages. There was no scuffling of boots or noticeable crunch of gravel. Each man covering a sector as they moved, weapons tracking on unseen threats. Between the two sections, a ten-meter gap remained constant. Blue team stopped at a strange hatchway and signaled Hunter. The major moved forward and squatted next to the team leader. Through a series of hand gestures and silent nods, information was transmitted. The team leader stood, motioned to his men. Hunter returned to Gold team and quietly briefed them on the situation. Blue team would breech, bang and clear, while they would provide close support. The heavy weapons men of Gold team took up position as the entry techs of Blue team readied their equipment. The team leader looked back at the shadows that hid Hunter and Gold team and flashed thumbs up sign.

"Go." Was all Hunter said over the secure inter-team comm-net.

A thunderous explosion rocked the cavern as the hatch was blown. Immediately several troopers rushed the opening not waiting for the debris to stop falling or the smoke to clear. Hunter rushed in with Gold team as Blue team swept forward and cleared the first of several antechambers.

Deakins stopped on a small ridge and took another compass reading. He looked around at the small valleys and rolling hills and thought back his childhood growing up on Broder Prime.

Blue team swept and cleared the first level as Gold team broke into two smaller units and secured the entryway. Hunter called for the rest of his men on the surface to secure the above ground operations and move into the scout cavern. Sensor techs set up a scan grid to gather more information. There was little to no spoken words as the teams pushed inward and cleared each level after a thorough search and sensor sweep.

Deakins was about ready to make camp for the night when he heard an approaching vehicle. Running up a small hill, he dropped flat at the top and looked down the opposite slope. A Broderian APC was moving cautiously through a muddy draw, its overhead scan dish slowly rotating. It stopped, several floodlights snapped on and caught him in their beams.

"Stand up and raise your hands above your head!" a disembodied voice echoed.

Deakins stood and raised his hands. Several troopers converged on him immediately, pushing him to his knees, rifle muzzle to the back of his head while he was expertly searched. Pulled to his feet, spun around and confronted by a semi-circle of armored, faceless soldiers, he stood still and stared at the figure making its way towards him.

"Sergeant Deakins. We've been looking for you." The voice said from behind the faceless visor. The troopers noticeably relaxed and let their weapons return to tactical carry as the officer strode up to Deakins. He put his arms down and was mildly shocked when the visor cleared to reveal a female face. He was escorted back to the idling vehicle and found an empty seat. The female trooper, obviously the OIC, moved to the monitoring station and slid her seat next to his before locking it down and swiveling towards him. She flipped up her helmet face shield and fixed her stare on him.

"Sergeant Deakins. You've got a lot of the high command wondering what happened to your team." She leaned back and watched his reaction. Deakins stared back impassively. Her eyes narrowed slightly and she leaned forward.

"Scuttlebutt is that you screwed up and it cost the lives your team." Deakins remained staring at a fixed spot on the bulkhead. The lieutenant scowled, leaned back and spun her chair back to the unit monitors.

"Sergeant Childs! Assign two troopers to the prisoner until we can turn him over at Alpha Base." From the back of the APC a voice responded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.