Incoming - Cover

Incoming

Copyright© 2009 by Remo Jackson

Chapter 11

"Captain Winslow. Admiral Greerson's dropship has been engaged and shot down." Powell said quietly as Winslow read from the data screen on his command chair.

"Thank you Mr. Powell. I just received confirmation that the crash site has been located. No survivors." He looked up at Powell. "How did this happen?"

Powell looked into Winslow's eyes, saw the fleeting look of pain and hurt before a cold, professional gaze replaced it.

"I don't know sir, but we're running a full system scan as well as a sensor diagnostic. We'll know soon enough." Powell responded as he put his hand up to the lightweight headset he wore.

"Flash traffic sir. Long-range patrol has encountered a Newson battle group approaching. Sensor sweep confirms it. It's huge. They count over twenty capital ships and numerous smaller vessels." Winslow nodded.

"Mr. Powell, bring the fleet to battle stations, sound general quarters, launch all craft. Send a burst to Ops Control, we are about to be engaged." Winslow turned his chair, "Weps, stand by for launch commit." Winslow turned back to Powell, "The time for mourning will come, but right now we have an appointment with destiny."

Captain Davidson walked through the crash area. All around him, technicians, medics and soldiers were gathering information and sorting through the wreckage. Overhead, Talon fighters were providing ground support for the searchers. A dropship was settling down on the now rutted landing zone as Davidson walked up the small hill to his command vehicle. He stopped as The 7th Division Commander; Lieutenant General Smith disembarked and walked towards him.

"Sir." Davidson said as he snapped out a salute. Smith snapped a sharp salute in response.

"Captain, what have you got here?" Smith asked. Davidson turned and surveyed the ground below before answering.

"Sir, it appears that the dropship came down in an east to west direction after initial impact.

Preliminary inspection shows a proximity detonation on the pilot side of the craft, which apparently, severed the crossover systems." Davidson paused before adding. "It would have been like trying to fly a brick sir. They never had a chance."

Smith nodded and then clasped the other man on the shoulder.

"I understand captain. Incidents like this are hard to plan for. I authorized a sweep of the old comsats and H/K birds still in orbit, but it's too little too late." Smith turned to one of his aides and handed Davidson a series of discs.

"Captain, this is the order of battle. We have a Newson fleet coming within striking distance. The fleet has moved to engage, leaving us with a small screening force. We can expect ground troops once that fleet pushes through." Smith paused. "Get this area secured, report back to Alpha Base and brief your men. There will be a service for Admiral Greerson and the flight crew at 0900 tomorrow before we ship them home. Anyone not standing duty is invited to attend." Davidson turned, snapped to attention and saluted.

"Duty and Honor." Smith snapped to attention and returned the salute.

"Death or Glory." He replied before turning and walking back to his dropship.

Davidson continued to his ship and made the flight back to Alpha Base in silence.

Sergeant Deakins awoke with a splitting headache. He slowly sat up and held his head in his hands as if it would break apart at any moment. He squinted his eyes and looked around the room. The walls were rough-hewn rock, the bunk he sat on was solid but appeared almost hand made. He stood unsteadily and made his way to the door. Trying the handle he was surprised that it wasn't locked. Opening the door slowly and as quietly as possible, he stuck his head out and looked down the dim lit corridor. Cautiously, he made his way to the large iris like door set in the far wall of the hallway. As he stood in front of it looking for a control panel, it dilated and a booming voice was heard.

"Step forward Sergeant First Class Eric Deakins. I have been expecting you." Deakins stepped over the threshold and into the chamber beyond. Behind him, the iris sealed shut.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.