Incoming - Cover

Incoming

Copyright© 2009 by Remo Jackson

Chapter 10

The Broder Prime Chancellor building was an immense structure. Six stories in height and an equal number of levels below the surface, it served as a multi-purpose facility that housed all branches of the government and several offices for the military.

Chancellor Harrington's office was located on the third level and within the executive section of the building. Harrington, a former chairman for the joint services commission, had retired and moved into politics using his training and ambition to get elected to the office he currently held. His aide, Helmut Grunther, stood to one side and reviewed the schedule for the day on a small hand held device. Grunther cleared his throat to get the chancellor's attention.

"Sir, we have a meeting with Admiral Kirby in five minutes." Harrington sighed, put the report he was reviewing down and stretched before standing.

"What does that pompous ass want now?" he asked rhetorically. Grunther stifled a chuckle before replying.

"Sir, its in regard to Sirius, He wants your permission to deploy it to the new sector." Harrington nodded.

"Oh I know that Grunty, he's asked for my permission now for 24 hours." Harrington moved around to the front of the desk.

"Here's a shock, I'll answer 'no' again just to be different." Harrington said as he made his way out of the office, Grunther following behind. The two men walked down the large marble hallway to the main conference room. Inside the large room, Admiral Kirby, his staff and select members of the Senate were already present.

"Gentlemen, good to see you all again." Harrington said upon entering. Most present nodded to him as he took his place behind the podium.

"As of 1400hrs yesterday, Broderian Forces have secured a foothold on UNL-465 and are just hours away from completion of a planetary system scan." He paused, "Some among you are concerned for the safety and well-being of our troops during this deployment and have requested permission to deploy Sirius." He paused again and focused his gaze on Admiral Kirby. "Intelligence reports are incomplete at this time. Aggressor forces are present but not classified beyond threat level three. We have deployed four divisions on planet and established a sufficient number of Alpha Bases to support them. Our expeditionary force has been augmented with the reserve react units and stands ready to counteract any further aggressive moves."

He paused again and swept his gaze around the room. "At this time, I can find no reason to deploy a weapon system as powerful as Sirius to that sector. I am denying the request for deployment. That is all." Harrington gathered his notes and exited the room followed by his aide.

Kirby stood and picked up his valise while his aides looked to him for a comment. The members of the Senate shuffled out in groups or singly before he made a statement.

"Contact Senator Carson, we go ahead as planned." He said to his aide before leaving the room as well.

Carson was again in his quarters sipping ambrosia when Denninger entered.

"Senator, we have a green light." Carson smirked as he raised the glass to his lips.

"Very well, proceed as we discussed." He stood, walked across the room, refilled his glass and poured another, which he handed to Denninger. He lifted his glass in a toast.

"To the Chancellorship, Admiral Kirby, and impending revolution." He downed his drink in an abrupt swallow while Denninger choked his down.

"Of course, Senator, I'll make the arrangements." He said hoarsely as he left the room.

In the launch bay of the Archangel, Admiral Greerson was preparing to leave to brief the commanders planetside.

His escort of Talons, already launched, were patrolling in a racetrack pattern awaiting his arrival. The dropship pilot received clearance for launch, exited the launch bay and formed up on the Talons. Greerson was reviewing the most recent reports as the dropship entered the upper atmosphere.

"21, 23. You reading that surge as we passed that mass of junk?" Talon 23's EO asked over the secure intership channel.

"Copy that 23. Intel reported that some of this stuff still had power but it's so old that it doesn't even have enough juice to lock us up."

"I don't know about that 21, it looked alive enough as we passed." Talon 21's EO locked his tactical threat sensor on it. His readings were off the scale. Re-calibrating the sensor, he tried again.

"Launch! Launch! Talon 23 has Vampire inbound! Multiple launches! Inbounds from sector 18 and 24!" Both Talons performed evasive maneuvers as the dropship dove into the atmosphere at an increased angle.

"Captain? What's happening?" Greerson asked from the observers seat behind and between the two pilots as the dropship performed a radical diving turn.

"Sir, both Talons report multiple inbounds we have to clear the area." The senior pilot reported as he nosed the dropship over into a tight spiral. Greerson reached out and grabbed the handhold as the dropship twisted and turned to avoid the deadly missiles.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.