Bridget's Spirit - Cover

Bridget's Spirit

Copyright© 2009 by Little Owl

Chapter 9: Full Circle

The holiday visit passed quickly. When the young couple said good-bye, every eye was wet. Liam and Gina drove home in silence.

Gina stayed at Liam's apartment that night. He made love to her with all the passion he felt. The couple fell into a deep sleep quickly.

During the night, Liam woke with a start. He could feel his Bridget with him again. In his head, he heard her voice. She's at peace. Liam sat up in bed and looked over at his nightstand. He stared at his phone and within seconds, it rang. With a quick glance at the caller id, he answered it. "Hi Dad."

Gina woke when the phone rang and watched her lover's expressions by the light from the handset.

"I understand, Dad. I can be there after breakfast, if that's soon enough. If not, I'll leave now." Liam sighed as a lone tear ran its course down his cheek. "Don't worry about that, Dad. I have time coming; Mike will understand." Liam reached for Gina's hand and laced his fingers with hers. "I'll give her the option, but I'm sure she'll want to come, too. Dad, don't worry about it. Everything will be okay. I'll be there soon. I love you."

Liam replaced the phone in its cradle and stared off into the darkness for a few moments. He slouched in the bed and pulled Gina into his arms. As he caressed her side, his tears flowed steadily. "That was Dad, Gina. He woke up and Mom had died in her sleep."

Gina clung to Liam and they both cried openly. Two hours later, they were showered and dressed and on their way back to Liam's childhood home.

Liam helped his father arrange for the funeral. Despite it being so close after the holidays, the church was full with family and friends wanting to say good-bye to Mary O'Shea. The graveside service was private, for family only. Patrick O'Shea had his wife laid to rest next to his daughter. Liam stayed by his side, allowing the older man to cling to his son in sorrow.

Reluctantly, Liam and Gina headed back to their home, leaving Patrick O'Shea alone in the house for the first time in over thirty years.

With Liam's constant encouragement, Gina was able to finish her Master's thesis and had it approved by the committee. Patrick O'Shea was invited to her graduation, as was her mother and Hal. Patrick stood proudly next to his son as Gina received her degree. The two seats next to Liam remained empty.

With the onset of summer, Liam and Gina began their wedding plans. Both decided they wanted a simple wedding, nothing too extravagant. They agreed on a ceremony at a local chapel with the reception at the restaurant. Gina sent her mother an invitation, but the woman indicated she was unable to attend. With Dennis and his wife Sarah as best man and matron of honor, Gina asked her future father-in-law to escort her down the aisle. With tears in his eyes, he accepted.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.