Bridget's Spirit - Cover

Bridget's Spirit

Copyright© 2009 by Little Owl

Chapter 6: Rebuild and Remember

Liam went to the restaurant early for his Saturday shift. He left Gina working diligently on her projects. A couple times before and after the lunch rush Liam snuck away so he could call Gina to check up on her. Each time, he was rewarded with her teasing and sarcastic remarks about his concern. Liam always hung up his phone smiling.

Dinnertime was busier than expected and Liam didn't get another chance to call Gina. As he walked down the hallway to his apartment, he contemplated what he should do. It was close to midnight and he expected Gina would already be in bed. But Liam felt a strong need to see her one last time before he would be able to sleep. He spoke quietly to himself as he rummaged for his keys.

"I'll hang up my coat, take her key, and just go over and check up on her. If she's asleep, she'll never know I was there. And if she's awake, I'll apologize for just walking in. But I'll get to see for myself that she's okay. She can't be too mad at me for that."

As soon as Liam opened his door, he stopped. He didn't usually turn on any lights when he left for work, yet he noticed one flickering out of the corner of his eye. When he turned, he smiled and quietly closed and locked the door.

The flickering light was coming from his television; he looked and noticed it was on one of those cable home shopping networks. Using the light from the TV, he turned and watched Gina sleeping. She was stretched out on his sofa and snuggled under a throw he recognized from her apartment.

Liam turned off the television and went to kneel next to the sofa while his eyes adjusted to the dark. With the absence of sound, Gina stirred. Liam smiled as Gina twitched her nose and then rubbed it with her hand. She turned her head a little to the left and then back to the right. Slowly she opened her eyes and smiled.

"What time is it?"

"Past your bedtime. Things were busy at the restaurant so I got out later than planned." Liam allowed a couple of fingers to caress Gina's cheek. "How long have you been here?"

"I just wanted to be here when you got home. I got all my work done."

Liam watched as Gina's eyes began to close again. "Gina, I'm going to pick you up and take you to my bed to sleep."

"I can go back to my own bed," she yawned.

"Sleep, Gina. I'll take care of you." Gently, Liam lifted Gina in his arms, leaving her throw on the sofa. He smiled when he got to his bedroom. When Gina had come over, she had turned down one corner of the bed.

Liam placed Gina on the exposed sheet and covered her with his blankets. Quietly, he got ready for bed and joined her there. Sensing Liam's presence, Gina turned in his direction and snuggled closely to his body.

Sunday morning arrived overcast and dreary; snow was predicted by afternoon. Gina woke and stretched the remaining sleep from her body. She smiled. Opening her eyes, she saw Liam smiling back at her.

"Good morning, sunshine!"

"What time did you get home?"

"After midnight. I'm glad you were waiting but you didn't have to."

"I know. But I didn't want you to scare me when you woke me up coming over to check on me."

"Why do you think I would attempt to enter your apartment while you were asleep? Just to check up on you?"

"You called me five times yesterday, Liam! That's excessive even for the most devoted of spouses!"

"Yeah, well ... I just wanted to make sure you got some work done."

"I did after you stopped calling!" Gina laughed when she noticed Liam's pout begin to form. Before he could turn away, she pulled his head to hers and kissed him. "This feels good waking up next to you."

"I agree."

"So, what do we do? Do we make a schedule and map out the days we stay at the other's apartment? Or, do we just play it by ear?"

"Honestly, I haven't thought that far ahead. I'm still waiting for your bruises to heal." Liam leaned over and placed a kiss on the tip of Gina's nose.

"Personally, I think we should wait until after the holidays."

"Why do you say that?"

"You get real busy at the restaurant with all the extra holiday parties and special dinners you give. Me? I've got to finish my classes and make sure I'm prepared for finals. They're right before Christmas, you know."

"I'm not going to be able to wait weeks until I see you again," admitted Liam. "Or sleep with you. It sounds too clinical to schedule time but we may have to."

"Why don't we just play it by ear until after Thanksgiving?" Gina compromised. "I've got another paper and a test in my classes before then. I'm pretty sure I'm prepared for my finals but they still make me nervous."

"Okay, I'll tell you what." Liam pulled Gina closer to his body. "If you've finished everything you planned on doing this weekend, let's spend today together. It can be doing mundane chores in either apartment, going shopping, going to a movie, whatever. Then I'll be satisfied with at least a phone call every couple of days until Thanksgiving. I won't like it, but I'll have to accept it. We'll go to my parents' for a few days and then spend the rest of Thanksgiving weekend figuring out where to go from there."

"Can we start this 'plan' of yours with you reminding me..." Gina didn't get a chance to finish her question.

Liam rolled her over onto her back and pressed his body against hers while he kissed her thoroughly. When he felt her recoil under him, he quickly pulled away.

"Sorry. I kind of lost myself there," he apologized.

"I guess I understand now why you want to wait until my bruises are healed!" Gina smiled brightly. She nudged Liam's chest and watched as he flopped onto his back. She rose above him and began kissing him again so she could control the pressure on her bruised face. Liam lovingly caressed her back while moaning in pleasure.

The rest of the day and the following two weeks went as the couple had planned. They got together when they could and talked by phone if their schedules didn't allow them to see each other. They were able to spend a couple of dinners together and it wasn't unusual to find one of them snuggled with the other when they awoke in the morning. Eventually, Liam and Gina were able to finalize their plans for Thanksgiving. Liam talked with his mother a couple of times, updating her with their timetable for the holiday weekend. Mary O'Shea voiced her disappointment that they would not be staying the entire weekend but Liam promised that there would be other times.

Gina took the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off so she was packed and ready when Liam got home from his errands. They were on the road by early afternoon and would be at Liam's parents' house by dinnertime.

Dinner at the O'Shea house was a bit strained, punctuated by the scowl on the elder O'Shea and heavy sighs from the younger. Gina and Mary O'Shea looked on in frustration. Finally, Gina looked at Liam's mother and began a conversation that excluded the two men. The women chatted about Liam as a child, and Gina answered questions about her own childhood. When the question was asked about her healing bruises, Gina answered honestly, as she and Liam had discussed. The women ignored the men and would not let them interject any comments into their conversation.

Once dinner was over, Mary O'Shea made her husband help with the dishes so that Liam could show Gina to her room.

"So, this was your room, huh? It's a lot neater than I expected!" quipped Gina.

"I haven't lived here in close to seven years!" Liam sighed. "Look, Gina, I'm sorry about dinner. Maybe coming here was a bad idea."

"No!" Gina turned on her heel and closed the door. Poking her finger in Liam's chest, she continued. "You're not going to run away again! You, yourself, said that Bridget told you it was time. She didn't say it was going to be easy, did she?" Liam reluctantly shook his head. "You need to be the one to make the first move."

"I tried, Gina," he complained. "But he didn't even acknowledge my presence when he came home!"

"Now you're starting to sound like a whiner. Maybe I don't know you as well as I thought." Gina paused and thought for a moment. When she continued, a devilish smile grew on her face. "I almost brought up Bridget at dinner tonight. That would have gotten things going, don't you think?"

"That would not have been the best, G."

"I know. That's why I didn't say anything ... yet. Here's the deal. You need to make the first move. If you don't, and soon, I will. And, my move is going to be to talk about Bridget and make you and your father listen. Do you understand?"

"You would, wouldn't you?"

"Damn straight! Want to test me?" As if daring him, Gina stood with her feet apart and arms folded across her chest.

"Absolutely not!" Liam approached Gina and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Okay. I will make an attempt to talk with him tomorrow. Mom remembers that I want to cook with Dad. You just better be nearby!" He leaned down and placed a sweet kiss on her lips. "You know, this could blow up in my face."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.