Bridget's Spirit - Cover

Bridget's Spirit

Copyright© 2009 by Little Owl

Chapter 2: Meet the O'Shea's

Liam knocked nervously on Gina's door. A week had gone by since the neighbors had a chance to talk.

"Hey, Liam! What's up?"

"I have a huge favor to ask. And I'm telling you upfront, it isn't a fair one."

Gina's curiosity was piqued as she opened her door to allow Liam in. "I just came back from a walk. Let me grab some water and I'll be right with you. Want one?" Gina retrieved two waters from the kitchen. When she returned to the living room, she noticed Liam wringing his hands in his lap.

"What's going on, Liam?" Gina sat across from him so she could study him better.

"I need you to come over for dinner this Friday night."

"No problem! Sounds pretty harmless, though."

"There's a catch." Liam took a big gulp of water and almost started coughing.

"What? You using me as a guinea pig for a new recipe? You've done that before. No big deal."

Liam shook his head. "Worse than that. My parents are going to be in town. We haven't seen each other in a couple of years; it wasn't pleasant the last time. I was hoping your presence would neutralize the visit."

"Why not take them to the restaurant? I'm sure they'd want to see where you work. And a nice public place tends to 'neutralize' any visit."

Liam took another swig of water. "That would not be the best idea, trust me. So, will you come?"

"Tell me when and I'll do my best to be on time."

Liam relaxed as they caught up on other current events in their lives. Gina noticed a smile returning to his eyes and his leg stopping its nervous thumping as Liam described the new menu for the restaurant.


Dinner was at 6:00, but Liam began gathering fresh ingredients and preparing them early so everything would be done. He took his time at the market Friday morning, choosing the best rack of lamb, the freshest cabbage and potatoes, as well as other assorted vegetables and spices. Liam even made Irish Soda Bread from scratch. By 5:45, everything was ready and warming in the oven.

His parents arrived promptly at 6:00. Liam's mother wrapped her stout arms around her son in a warm, motherly embrace. Liam's father shook his hand and muttered a greeting. The pleasantries were quickly exhausted.

Liam continued to look from the door to his watch, as the conversation waned. Finally, at 6:15 there was a knock at his door. Liam rose from his chair to answer it, grateful for the short respite from the strained silence.

"Sorry I'm late," blurted out Gina as soon as the door opened. "Work was a bear. And Chris called again. It just was not a good day."

"Sorry to hear that, baby." Liam sported an uneasy smile. "I'm glad you could make it, though."

Gina had not paid much attention when Liam called her "baby." But when he leaned down and kissed her on the lips, she was stunned. She was about to question him when he stepped aside and Gina noticed the older couple on the sofa watching them.

"Come on in and meet my parents. Remember? I told you they were coming for dinner tonight." Liam snaked his arm around Gina's waist and pulled her into the room. "Mom and Dad, this is Gina Murphy; she lives across the hall. Gina, these are my parents, Mary and Patrick O'Shea."

"Nice to meet you," greeted Gina, shaking hands with them. Liam's mother had a very feminine handshake. She used only the tips of her fingers to gently hold onto Gina's. And she bent her wrist in such a way that made the handshake awkward. In sharp contrast, Patrick O'Shea's hand completely gripped Gina's and held onto her firmly as he shook.

"So, you're the girlfriend?" Patrick eyed Gina suspiciously.

"Why don't we all sit down at the table and I'll serve dinner?" suggested Liam, nervously.

"Let me help you serve, darling," Gina offered, adding extra emphasis on the pet name.

Once in the privacy of the kitchen, Gina spun Liam around. "Girlfriend?" she spat out, trying to keep her voice down.

"Yes. Look, I'm sorry." Liam eyed the doorway, making sure his parents weren't lingering nearby. "I told you this was a huge favor! Please say you'll stay. The only way I could justify your presence was to tell them you are my girlfriend. I need you here! I don't get along with my parents right now. Things are a bit ... strained."

"Really?" chided Gina. "You think it might be because of your lying?"

"I'll explain it all later. Will you stay and help me, please?" Liam's eyes no longer held the laughter and mischief in them that Gina was used to seeing. Instead, they were eyes filled with pain and sorrow.

"Okay," she relented. "You better have made something great to eat -- including dessert!"

Liam scooped Gina into his arms and twirled her around the kitchen.

"Is everything alright, dear? Your father's getting a little hungry and we still have a drive ahead of us."

"Sorry, Mom. Yeah, it's ready." Liam steadied Gina on her feet and the two set about putting dinner on the table.

Throughout dinner, Gina noticed Liam and his father shooting glares at each other. Liam's mother continued to nervously move her eyes between her husband and her son. Very little was said between the three O'Shea's.

"This is great, Liam! Is it a new dish?" Gina started some friendly conversation to try to break the tension. She smiled at Liam and then turned to his parents. "Liam's always doing that," she explained. "I can't count how many times he's used me as a guinea pig for a new dish!"

"Actually, it's an old one. But, I've made some changes and was thinking about featuring it as one of the specials next week."

"Where did you get this recipe, boy?"

"It was Grandma Ryan's, Dad. I remember her saying you always used to ask for lamb. I thought you'd like it."

"What is this called?" asked Gina, pointing to a bowl with what looked like green mashed potatoes. "It tastes good."

"That's Colcannon. Right, dear?"

"That's right, Mom. It's mashed potatoes with cabbage and leeks. I just added a few more spices like Grandma Ryan showed me. I used her recipe for the Irish Soda Bread, too, Dad."

"So, Gina, what do you do?" Patrick O'Shea looked directly at Gina.

She watched as Liam's eyes returned to his plate. "I-I'm an assistant at a local consulting firm."

"And," Liam bragged, sitting upright, "she's almost finished her Master's degree!"

"That's wonderful!" exclaimed Liam's mother. "That must be hard -- working and going to school."

"It gets frustrating," Gina admitted. "But Liam's been very supportive."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.