Bridget's Spirit - Cover

Bridget's Spirit

Copyright© 2009 by Little Owl

Chapter 1: Writer's Block

"Gosh, darn it!" Gina groaned as she sat in front of her door and banged the back of her head against it.

"You went for mail, didn't you?" chuckled Liam from his doorway across the hall. "I thought you kept a spare key under your mat for just this reason."

"I do," pouted Gina, staring at her feet. "But I used it yesterday and forgot to put it back."

"Good thing I made you give me a copy!" Liam laughed louder as he retreated into his apartment to grab Gina's other spare.

"I'm beginning to think getting my Master's is over-rated!"

"Geez! At least give me a chance to get out of my apartment, first!" teased Liam, heading for Gina's door.

"Sorry."

"What is it this time?"

"I have this paper due in two days and I'm stuck! Why do I need my Master's? I've got a good job! All that going for my Master's is accomplishing is reducing my social life to nothing and making my work life stressful because of the lack of sleep while taking these damn night classes!"

Liam was amazed that she was able to get through all that in one breath. She must really be stressed this time, he thought. "When was the last time you got out of your apartment for more than work, class or mail?" Liam had unlocked Gina's door and followed her inside.

"What month is it?"

He started to laugh at Gina's question. "Okay! Give me back my key. Where's your spare? Put it back under the mat and grab your keys. I'm taking you out for breakfast and then a good long walk to clear your head!"

"Didn't you hear me? I've got a paper due Monday night and I've got writer's block! I don't have the time to go."

"You don't have the time NOT to go! Now, are you going to come willingly or am I going to carry you?"

Liam hustled Gina back out of her apartment and into his car. He headed to a quiet breakfast spot he knew of that made omelets just the way Gina liked them.

"Satisfied?" Gina sounded like a little child who was angry at being forced to clean her plate. But truth be told, she couldn't be angry at Liam for long. The two had struck up an immediate friendship five years earlier and he had been a support during her quest for her Master's.

"Okay, I'm satisfied that you've had a good meal -- you've finally fed that brain of yours! Now, let's go for a walk to clear your head and get that grey matter energized." Liam escorted a grumbling Gina out of the diner after paying the bill. Once back at their apartment complex, he led Gina to the path behind their building.

As they went walking, Liam began to ask Gina questions regarding work and her classes in general, and then about her paper. At what became the halfway point of their walk, Gina had a breakthrough.

"That's it! I was looking at the project from the wrong perspective!" Gina jumped in place and began punching the air in triumph.

"What would you do differently?"

The friends continued their walk back to their apartments. All the while, Liam asked Gina probing questions regarding her new enlightenment so she wouldn't forget her train of thought. Once home, he watched as Gina marched through her door ready to tackle her paper, victorious over her writer's block. Liam went across the hall to his apartment with a smile on his face.

As he made himself some coffee, Liam still wore that smile. Bridget would be so proud of me, he thought. He sat down at the kitchen table with his coffee and allowed his mind to wander. His sister was the smarter of the two O'Shea children. Words and numbers always seemed to come easier to her. Liam was better with the sciences and, as it turned out, with the culinary arts -- much to the dismay of his father. Whenever Liam was having trouble writing a paper for school, Bridget was right there helping him sort out his thoughts.

She would bring him to the kitchen and ask him to make her a snack. As he was doing this, she would talk with him, just as he had done with Gina. Bridget would first ask Liam about his girlfriend or the latest movie, and then turn the conversation around to school, and then to the class at hand. Once she was there, she would gently coerce the assignment out of Liam, asking questions that would help him get his thoughts in order. Inevitably, Bridget got a nice snack as payment for her services and Liam got a better grade on his assignment. As he washed out his coffee mug and set it in the strainer, he said a silent prayer of thanks to his Bridget for all that she had done for him and all that she continued to do.

Later that evening, Liam checked in on Gina.

"How's it coming?" Liam asked as Gina opened the door.

"Great! I've just got to document a couple more references, spell check, and proofread, and it should be ready for Monday!" Gina left Liam in her doorway while she moved back to her desk.

"Good news! Okay, get your coat." Liam invited himself in and let the door close behind him.

"Why?"

"Because it's getting chilly now that it's dark out and I don't want you getting sick before you turn your paper in."

"I don't need a weather report, Liam! Why do I need my coat? Where am I going?"

"You're taking me out to dinner."

"I am?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because you're grateful for my help on your paper and it's my birthday."

"I am grateful, and Happy Birthday, but I don't have any money to take you out to celebrate. I don't get paid until next week."

"That's okay; I'm buying."

"But, if I'm taking YOU out, shouldn't I buy?"

"My mom would have my neck if I ever let a woman pay for my dinner!"

"Why don't I make dinner, instead?"

"I've tasted your cooking." Liam dodged the balled up paper that Gina threw at his head. "And, you've been holed up here all day. You need a change of venue for a few hours."

"I went out this morning, remember. Besides, I'm not ready. I told you I have to finish documenting my references, spell check and proofread!"

"I remember."

"Can I get a rain check?"

"On my birthday? It only comes around once a year!"

"Please?"

"Where are the references you need to document?" Gina pointed to the list on the top of a stack of papers by her elbow. "All you have to do is type them in! Don't you type, like, over fifty words a minute? Spell checking will take no time," he continued, peering over her shoulder onto the computer screen. "You've already set it to autocorrect. Proofing can wait until tomorrow, after a good night's sleep and a rested pair of eyes, and I can add a second set. So take a shower and get cleaned up. I'll be back in forty-five minutes to get you."

"What if I don't open the door?"

"I'll use my key!" Liam flashed his mischievous Irish grin and winked at her as he left.

Forty-five minutes on the dot, Liam was back at Gina's door. He knocked once and there was no answer. Just as he was about to knock a second time, Gina swung open the door. Liam had to stop for a minute to catch his breath. He had seen Gina wearing clothes for many occasions: business, casual, and even party. But she looked totally different tonight; classy was the word that came to Liam's mind.

"I hope I'm dressed okay." Gina was tentative, mistaking Liam's silence for disapproval. "You never told me where we were going. I just figured it would be to someplace a little more upper-class."

"Ah, sorry! You look great! Yeah, you are definitely dressed right!" Liam couldn't figure out why his throat felt dry.

The couple enjoyed a superb meal with all the trimmings. After they finished, Liam escorted Gina to an empty table in the lounge area adjacent to the restaurant where they could continue their conversation.

"What is Emily going to think about you being out with me on a Saturday night -- and on your birthday, no less? Won't she be a little put out?"

"She's already put out -- out of the picture. We broke up about two weeks ago."

"I'm sorry. It goes to show just how out of the loop I've been. I tell you, it makes me wonder why I'm even trying for my Master's. I'm not sure it's all worth it!"

"You know it will be! It doesn't bother me that you didn't know about Emily and me. You've had other things on your plate, lately. And as you can tell, it doesn't bother me that Emily is out of the picture. She was starting to get too possessive, anyway."

"I just should have been there! You dropped everything when Chris and I had that big fight and broke up. Another result of my Master's, by the way. I should have been there for you."

"I was there for you because that asshole started that whole incident in the hallway. Master's or not, you're better off without him. But I still wouldn't worry about me. You're here now helping me celebrate my birthday. Wanna dance?"

Just then, the band played a slow song. Liam led Gina to the floor where they danced a number of dances, both slow and fast. They continued to talk and laugh the night away.

"Thanks so much for a wonderful night," Liam began, after walking Gina back to her door. "I can't remember having as much fun celebrating my birthday, or being in such fantastic company."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.