Stargate Atlantis: Felix - Cover

Stargate Atlantis: Felix

Copyright© 2009 by Carrot74

Chapter 34

They all left Felix's room and as they walked along the corridor Sheppard asked, "Did you ever want to go back to your parent unit if you went back to Earth?"

Felix stopped in his tracks and had a cold feeling pass through his heart as he asked, "Am I being sent back to Earth? I would really prefer NOT to go back to the gong show and egotistical idiots that show off all their badges and strut their peacock feathers. No way — I'll go AWOL first."

Sheppard also stopped and replied to Felix, "Relax — nobody is sending you anywhere. We're just going to the ceremony here, you're not being shipped back to Earth. You may have a proposition put to you later today that may interest you."

Felix was about to ask what, but was fended off by Sheppard's raised hand and his saying, "It's a surprise and I was ordered not to tell. Let's go — you're dragging your heels."

Felix replied, "I feel like I'm being led to my execution."

Sheppard didn't respond as he continues to lead the way to the control room area, where Felix saw a number of people gathered. Some were obviously military by their uniforms and others were definitely the scientists and civilian workers by their Atlantis expedition outfits.

Sheppard headed towards Dr. Weir's office and Felix checked quickly around and then drifted into the background and blended in just like a chameleon. He looked at his watch and saw that only a short time remained until the 'gong show' as he thought of any ceremony was to begin.

Felix stood like an owl watching and listening to everything going on, seeing who was hanging out with whom, what they were talking about, and filing that info in the noggin for later — the usual routine for him. He just liked to see and hear what interested other people so that he could strike up conversations with them later.

A few minutes before 11:00am local time the gate activated with an incoming wormhole and he heard that is was from the SGC. He then moved so he could see who came through the gate, and saw two USAF officers he didn't know carrying a small box initially. A moment later he saw General O'Neill accompanied by Colonel Carter walk through the gate and then the gate shut down.

Felix went back to the blending shadows of the background and stayed inconspicuous until Colonel Sheppard announced, "All available personnel in the gate room, form up for the ceremony."

Felix waited until the majority of the expedition members were moving to their spots and then managed to blend at the back of the military section, where he wasn't really noticed. One Marine Captain looked at Felix as if to say 'what are you doing back there?' and Felix just smiled and put a finger to his lips and shaking his head about his being there. The Marine Captain just shook his head and put his head to the front again.

Felix noticed that Major Lorne was on crutches attending the ceremony, standing off to the side but luckily Lorne didn't see Felix.

Some officer called the parade to attention and everyone's feet moved in the typical Air Force fashion — sloppy in Felix's mind — but they were professionals still. Felix caught some of the words but the officer wasn't that good at drill so Felix just imitated what everyone else was doing.

Felix caught the first person getting an award — Dr. Rodney MacKay — who didn't make too much of a fool of himself up at the dais. There were a couple of the Marine contingent that were promoted from Lieutenant to Captain and a Captain to Major as well.

There were some promotions in the Senior NCOs group that obviously were well deserved from the applause.

Felix was smiling and thinking that things were almost over when a louder voice called, "Sergeant Felix Grey — front and centre!"

Instinct reluctantly took over for Felix and he answered in the normal way when NCOs were called up front; "Sir!" To the rest of the personnel around it sounded like a very loud bark that was saying 'Sahr' rather than 'sir'.

Felix marched purposefully to the side and then up to the front where he managed to hold his comment as he finally realized they were not letting him get away with this one. He halted smartly the prescribed 2 paces in front of General O'Neill, threw up a perfect salute and held it until O'Neill returned it.

O'Neill said softly, "You and I are going to talk later, Sergeant." Then in louder voice he said, "Please stand here to the side, Sergeant so your peers can see who you are finally."

Felix was directed to stand right next to Colonel Carter and face the entire expedition as General O'Neill started with, "There are people who try anything to get medals during a war, there are people who get awarded medals posthumously due to their gallantry, and then there is the rare one like Sergeant Felix Grey, who avoid at all costs getting medals or recognition."

He looked right at Felix and said firmly, "Well, not today Sergeant. We have finally caught up to you after these years of your going AWOL just to avoid getting awards you have long since deserved."

O'Neill paused and then continued; "Let me give you people a quick background so you understand what has happened because of this man. His team operates in the shadows of wars — they aren't covert ops or Special Ops but they do all that and more. They are CSAR — Combat Search And Rescue — and this one is Canadian to boot. I could stand here and read this batch of papers," O'Neill held up a sheaf of papers, "And not repeat myself, that's how well Sergeant Grey and his team of retreival experts have done. His team has saved at last count 87 USAF personnel, 16 Marine Special Ops, 22 US Army personnel and numerous civilians during the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. He has led his merry band and faced dauntless odds and managed to get the people home safe or to get fixed up — that is their job. He has shown selfless bravery numerous times, showed courage under fire more times that I care to know about, pissed off the enemy quite badly and still got the job done with a smile. So without further ado, it gives me great personal pleasure to finally on behalf of a grateful President of The United States, to present you with the Distinguished Service Cross."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.