Stargate Atlantis: Felix
Chapter 63

Copyright© 2009 by Carrot74

Morning saw a light breakfast, then being called up to the Gate Control by Colonel Sheppard, who wanted to know if one of the Marine officers could borrow two of Felix's Marines for over watch. Felix wasn't too thrilled — even after listening to the plan — but he grudgingly assigned Cpl Adams and L/Cpl Henderson to the mission.

The planning of this particular mission left too much to chance, in Felix's professional opinion — and his gut feeling was that something bad was going to happen. He tried talking the Marine Lieutenant into modifying the mission objectives but the officer would not budge — his plan would work.

Once the 6 Marines went through the Gate, Felix went to Colonel Sheppard and asked, "Could I speak with you a minute, sir?" and motioned to an area off to the side. Sheppard had an idea of what the Sergeant would say, but he would do him the courtesy of listening, as he had never steered Sheppard wrong. It took a minute but Felix managed to get his concerns across; "I'd like to be on standby with Meach just in case things go sour."

Sheppard considered what had been explained to him and replied, "All right — you and Meach on standby — but you don't go unless I give the green light." Felix agreed, and then went to tell Meach the news; once he explained to her what the rough plan was, he then went to the armoury to get a few items to add to his load. Next was a trip to the ammunition tri-wall for a bit more Semtex, det cord and FIB, and then went back to his room to make load adjustments to his Bergen.

Ten minutes later Felix took his gear up to the Gate Room and waited for L/Cpl Meach to show up; when she did show up, he showed her where to place her gear out of the way but handy. Then he took her over to the map console and asked Chuck to bring up the map of the planet on the big display — Meach followed Felix and started to study the map.

As he studied the map, Felix told Meach, "We know where our people are heading and what route. Walk me through where you think the problem areas are and why." Meach looked at her boss with a question on her face — Felix gave an encouraging smile and nod as he said, "Your brain is your best weapon, but you should also listen to your gut instincts."

Meach turned back to the map on the big display silently ran various scenarios at each stage in her head — Felix was doing the same but adding in the various traps he would lay for any enemy. Finally Stacy Meach started telling her boss how she saw what could happen, plus she threw in a few 'what ifs' that Felix had thought of. He liked the way she thought and rationalized the scenario potentials; they stayed at the display board for about ten more minutes, and then walked away lost in their own thoughts about the mission if they had to go.

Meach still had questions that would like answered about her boss, so she pressed her luck and asked, "Have you ever had a mission where you didn't manage to bring the people back, Sergeant?"

He faced her and answered truthfully, "Nope, and I don't plan to either — everybody comes home."

That answer led to Meach's next question, "You come across as really driven about making sure that everybody comes home — why is that?"

Felix stepped towards the taller woman and asked her softly, "Why do you want to know?"

Meach could feel the intensity radiating from Felix and it felt like she was about to step into a pit of fear. But at the same time she started to understand why her boss had such respect among the older Atlantis Marines: he had strong faith in his own abilities. Stacy Meach felt her self becoming lost in Felix's blue eyes — the intensity was almost dazzling. She felt her mouth moving as she replied, "I ... I just ... um wanted to know is all, Sergeant."

Felix was saved by the unintentional arrival of Mr. Woolsey, who happened to be looking specifically for the Sergeant; without any preamble Woolsey started in on Felix about having no budget, no equipment according to the TO&E, etc. Meach wisely walked away from a potential bad situation — Felix waited patiently until the bureaucrat stopped for a breath, then he interjected, "Morning Mr. Woolsey — had too much caffeine already?"

Richard Woolsey started again — this time Felix held up one hand to quiet the pesky bureaucrat and said, "I'm just a dumb grunt, Mr. Woolsey — I don't know anything. Colonel Sheppard on the other hand is a highly educated officer and you have a much better chance of getting answers from him." Felix finished with a smile and deliberately stared at Mr. Woolsey until the bureaucrat broke eye contact and went elsewhere, probably in search of Dr. Weir to harangue her next.

Felix went back to the map display and then commented to the one technician who had been watching and listening, "I had many a staring contest with cats when I was growing up — that's how I can do that." He studied the map, committing the lay of the ground to memory as the technician smothered a small chuckle. An undetermined time later Felix had just finished re-plotting bearings and distances — the alarm for the Star Gate sounded, and the shield activated automatically.

The Gate technician Chuck said, "Dr. Weir, I'm getting an audio signal only..." he looked at her to find out what to do.

Dr. Weir had a look of dread on her face as she replied, "Open the channel — audio only."

By now Sheppard was there as well — the people around could hear the chilling familiar voice, "Dr. Weir or Colonel Sheppard, this is Colonel Kolya of the Genii — are you there Dr. Weir?"

Elizabeth looked at Sheppard who nodded; she answered, "This is Dr. Weir."

The response was almost immediate as they heard, "Ah, good to hear your voice again, Dr. Weir — I was beginning to wonder if I was being lied to."

Ronon, Teyla, and Rodney all came running up — Sheppard waved them to silence, while Felix was busy scribbling on paper.

Elizabeth continued, "What do you want, Kolya?"

The Genii Colonel replied, "Right to the point, Dr. Weir — I like that." He paused a moment and then continued, "I have a trade proposal for you — one I think you may like and want."

She had an incensed look on her face as she replied; "We have nothing to trade with terrorists, Kolya."

A pause again and then the voice said, "That is a shame Doctor, as I have 5 of your Marines at the Star Gate as prisoners, and another one here with me."

She looked at the people around her, gathering her strength from them and then asked, "What do you want in trade for them Kolya?"

They could almost see the grin on the Genii Colonel as he answered, "Ah good, Dr. Weir — you do pay attention. I have reliable information that you have the services of an assassin named Felix."

Sheppard interjected, "We're sorry, but he's not available right now — perhaps you would like to call back some other time?"

Elizabeth glared at Sheppard for his sarcasm; Felix held up a sheet of paper to which she nodded and told Kolya, "He's off-world right now and isn't due back for a while."

"I am ... disappointed to hear that — perhaps you should look for him very soon, say within the next... 2 hours." He paused again and then added, "I want the assassin Felix here in two hours at the coordinates I'm sending you. The time starts at the end of our conversation. I am sending your five Marines through the Star Gate as a sign of good faith."

Elizabeth motioned for the shield to be lowered — the technician did and the Marines came through as promised.

Kolya continued, "As an incentive to bring me the assassin, activate your video — I have something you may wish to see." The video feed was activated and Felix made sure he stayed completely out of sight of the feed. Kolya said, "As you can see, Corporal Adams is surrounded by Iratus eggs that are due to hatch in about the next two hours. When they emerge from their egg sac they are usually quite hungry and eat most anything around them. So, you have that long to give me the assassin named Felix."

The image of an obvious terrified Corporal Adams tied and gagged to a chair and surrounded by Iratus eggs was seared into everyone's mind as the Star Gate shut down, ending the signal. A long moment later a number of people emerged from their shock and looked to Felix as if he would have the answers for this major problem. Sheppard got the one technician to plot the coordinates and bring it up on the big display to start the rescue process.

The five Marines came upstairs looking embarrassed, especially L/Cpl Henderson who told Felix, "I'm really sorry Sarge — they had us as soon as we went through the Gate."

Felix replied, "Obviously there was nothing you could, so don't sweat it," and noticed something major missing and then added in a lower tone, "Where are your weapons?"

Red-faced now Henderson answered, "The Genii have them, Sarge."

In the meantime Sheppard had been getting his team ready to go and making sure everything was squared away when Dr. Weir raised her voice, "People! We aren't trading Sergeant Grey for Corporal Adams — this is a rescue mission that must succeed."

Richard Woolsey stepped forward to add, "I'm a well trained negotiator that can offer services to mediate with these people."

All of Sheppard's team looked at Woolsey in complete disbelief; Ronon told Woolsey, "The Genii understand only one way to negotiate," and patted his big blaster on his hip — Woolsey stepped back admonished and watched the planning as it progressed. The coordinates on the display showed a set of buildings and they were able to figure out quickly part of it was underground, as that was normal Genii doctrine thanks to the Wraith culling.

The plan so far was to depart Atlantis in a Jumper, cloak as soon as they flew through the Gate, drop off Felix at one location first, then Meach and Henderson — with Meach as the primary shooter. Finally would be Sheppard's team landing at the edge of the woods for a short time, waiting for a signal from either Felix or Meach that the area was clear.

While the fine details were worked out, Richard Woolsey watched Felix as the smaller man applied his facial camouflage — it was this little thing that got Woolsey to understand why Dr. Weir had called Felix a chameleon. He found the transformation strangely fascinating — then it dawned on him what Felix was doing: he was getting dressed to go to work! Woolsey gained a new appreciation for the military while watching all the activity of everybody getting ready and then hearing Felix's simple but heartfelt statement, "Everybody comes home."

The two teams headed for the Jumper bays and loaded into Jumper One; Henderson had rearmed himself with a P-90 and a spotter scope for his part of the mission. Sheppard had Felix sit up front with him so he could confirm the drop-off spot visually; he casually told Felix, "Why don't you call in our departure again?"

Felix nodded and gave his normal rapid, "Atlantis this is Jumper One requesting clearance for Recovery, over."

They all heard Elizabeth Weir's voice reply, "Jumper One you have a go for Recovery — Godspeed."

Felix replied, "Jumper One out," and they sped through the Star Gate to accomplish a difficult mission.

As soon as the Jumper materialized they cloaked and climbed in a corkscrew manoeuvre to throw off any Genii shots — they were quite thankful for the inertial dampers. Sheppard activated the life signs detector, then superimposed the various LZ's over top and when he saw the level of activity he commented, "I count at least 40 that we can pick up so far with another bunch underground by the looks of it — you still sure about this?"

Felix stood up to move to the rear of the Jumper, placed a friendly hand on his shoulder and replied firmly, "There is no I in team, boss — we'll make this work — no worries," and moved to the back of the Jumper.

Rodney looked at Ronon and Teyla and commented, "He still creeps me out looking the way he does."

A few minutes later Sheppard yelled towards the back, "LZ 1 coming up!" As the Jumper flared for a quick landing, Teyla was already lowering the ramp for a rapid exit.

All three ghillie suited people stood up; as soon as they were low enough to the ground, Felix was saying, "Let's go!" and was out of the Jumper and running for cover — Meach and Henderson were quick to follow their boss.

Teyla shook her head in wonder at the sanity of Felix again as she raised the ramp, then went up forward to inform Sheppard about the minor change of plan that just occurred.

When Jumper One was in the air again it was Rodney who picked up the extra life signs and was able to figure out exactly what they were: hidden Genii troops. Rodney called, "Felix this is Rodney McKay — there are about 30 to 40 hidden Genii in your way — we can pull you out if you need."

The reply heard inside the Jumper was a casual, "Nah, we're good - thanks for the heads-up, Doc — this should be a fun one," followed by the disconnect sound.

Rodney had a pained look on his face as he looked at Teyla and echoed, "Fun he says — he's crazy. No sane person would willingly do this."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.