Stargate Atlantis: Felix
Chapter 55

Copyright© 2009 by Carrot74

He walked quickly to the Control Room to find Dr. Weir and Colonel Sheppard talking with Halling from Athos, and standing near them were two people he never expected to see in Atlantis: Arkel and his daughter the prescient Merleah.

The girl saw him and immediately Felix put a finger to his lips in a shushing motion; she winked in return and watched as Felix walked softly to stand behind Sheppard.

He stood there quietly waiting until Sheppard asked, "Where is he?" and saw the visitors start smirking and looking behind him.

Sheppard rolled his eyes in resignation as Felix answered softly, "Right here sir," and stepped around and stood at the edge of the group circle.

Dr. Weir spoke up, "Why don't we go into my office and talk there," and took seats in the boss lady's office.

Elizabeth looked at Sheppard and then Felix as she said; "Halling brought Arkel and his daughter from their planet because there is a problem they feel you two can help with."

Felix gave a slight frown that was quizzical in nature, and then gave his attention to Arkel and Merleah - he had a sinking feeling in his stomach that something wasn't right. Sure enough, Arkel started the conversation with an apology; "I'm very sorry about this Felix, but we didn't know who else we could turn to for help, and Merleah reminded me about you having to come back," he trailed off there as if unsure of what else to say at that moment.

Halling spoke up next, "I told these people what you are capable of, Felix - this was after they approached me on their planet. Merleah is a very astute and prescient young lady - and she is scared of anybody else helping but you."

Felix nodded at Halling in a dawning understanding and then knelt in front of Merleah to talk with her; he softly asked her, "What happened that scared you so bad?"

Elizabeth Weir and Colonel Sheppard were paying close attention to the conversation but also to the body language from Felix, as none of them had ever seen a soft-hearted Felix and she was fascinated by this revelation.

Merleah and Arkel told Felix about the vindictive and vengeful relatives of the two idiots that he had gotten rid of just before he came back to Atlantis. They had arrived about a week ago and started beating up the locals for 'past protection dues' in revenge for the two idiots that got their due payment via Felix.

Merleah had a couple of tears running down her face as she said in a trembling voice, "I know you don't like that part of you, Felix - but we need that part of you. Our people don't have the skills that you do - we don't know of anybody else we trust who could help us like this. Please Felix - these children they took from our town - I know you can bring them back. Please?"

Felix sighed in resignation and then asked, "Where are they?"

Arkel answered, "Up in the bandit hills northwest of our town by an hour - into the caves is where they said they would take the children. Felix please - we need you to help us," Arkel almost begged.

Felix remembered those particular hills - he would definitely need a local guide and potentially some mountain gear as well - if he got the okay from the two bosses. But then he stood up and walked a few steps away, as he was fighting with his spirit; Arkel stood up and placed 4 pictures on the edge of Dr. Weir's desk and told Felix, "Look at these pictures they gave us, and you tell me honestly that you can't help us."

Felix walked slowly to the pictures with a feeling of dread coming over him as he had already seen the victims of torture firsthand.

As he picked up two of the pictures, Dr. Weir caught the expression on Felix's face and she found herself oddly fascinated by the rapid range of emotions that went across his face. She saw in the span of less than five seconds anger mixed with horror and revulsion, followed by comprehension. Then she saw an expression go across his face so fast she wasn't sure of at first, but upon later reflection she remembered it quite clearly: death. And it was at war with the good that she knew abounded inside of Felix - the look actually scared her, as it got her to realize what a person could do IF pushed to their limit.

He placed the pictures back down in Arkel's hand and then knelt again in front of Merleah and softly asked her, "Why me, little one? If you know my heart then you know how much this will hurt me, even though I could do it. Can't any of your people rescue them?"

Merleah looked at him through her tears and replied in a trembling voice, "They know who you are - they called you the Bush Man and Green-Face. They want revenge and they want you to go there or..." She burst out sobbing and grabbed Felix to hug him fiercely; he hugged her and talked softly to her, calming her down and gently rocking.

Sheppard and Weir traded a quick look of amazement as they both saw a very different Felix compared to the feral one from months ago, and they were pleasantly surprised by what they were witness to.

Arkel stood behind his daughter with a comforting hand on her shoulder and then watched as Felix pried his daughter away and held her at arms length. Felix wiped away her tears and told her softly, "Hey - take it easy, Merleah. I'll get them back - okay? I will bring them home safely."

He deliberately left out what he was contemplating for the bad guys - she didn't need to know those details - but knowing Merleah, she most likely had an idea what he was planning.

Colonel Sheppard asked the question that Felix was thinking, "How soon do you need Sergeant Grey?"

Arkel replied, "The soonest possible time is better for all involved. If possible he should come back with Merleah and I so we can help him get things he may need locally."

Elizabeth spoke up, "We try to help our allies and friends when we can," then she looked at Felix and said, "You have a 'go' Sergeant - and good luck."

He stood up, looked at Dr. Weir and replied softly, "Luck is usually created in my opinion, but thank you all the same." Then he looked back to Arkel and added, "I'll get my gear together and be back in about 10 minutes or so, and then we can go - okay?"

They both nodded their assent as he left the office to pack what he would need, while Elizabeth asked questions of Arkel about what Felix had done while employed working under him. Weir ended up hard pressed to smother her laughter while Sheppard was chuckling as Merleah and Arkel regaled them with some of the practical but harmless jokes that Felix had done while working at the garage.

Soon after Felix showed up with his Bergen on his back and a scoped assault rifle this time - a CAR-15 to be precise, instead of his beloved Sasha. This time he was dressed in a faded grey-green camouflage uniform that had no badges, rank, or stripes - nothing on the uniform at all.

Sheppard and Weir raised their eyebrows at the unusual pattern, as it wasn't normal for Atlantis or Felix; he noticed their looks and said, "What? It's an older uniform."

Elizabeth Weir was the one who commented, "This is a change for you, as most of the time you are a bush - but this ... is okay."

Sheppard took Felix out of Weir's office and started going through an equipment check with the Sergeant to make sure all the bases were covered, especially the multipurpose life signs detector which would prove invaluable on this mission. Felix had packed a small coil of strong thin rope along with karabiners, pitons, climbing hammer with pick, ascender, figure 8's, lots of water containers, 5 days worth of rations broken down, a reduced ammunition load, and NVG's completed the majority of his Bergen.

After all that was done, they walked to the Gate Control and got Chuck to dial the coordinates for Arkel's planet; Dr. Weir walked down with Merleah and Arkel to the gate.

Halling had stayed on the balcony overlooking the Gate watching the departure. The Star Gate activated with its usual loud whoosh; Sheppard gave a casual, "No sightseeing on this trip - maybe a souvenir or two would be okay though."

Elizabeth said to the group, "Luck to all," and then touched Felix firmly on the arm to make sure he noticed her and said softly, "Bring yourself back intact, Sergeant."

Felix looked her in the eyes and saw something that hadn't been there before - he gave her a knowing smile as he replied softly, "Will do, ma'am," then with his weapon at the alert he walked through the Gate.

After everyone was through the Gate and it had shut down, she walked back to her office wondering if Felix knew that Merleah had a bit of a crush on him; it brought a small smile to her face thinking about Felix's possible reaction.

On the planet Felix had gone down on one knee, weapon at the ready as he checked around the area to make sure it was safe.

Arkel and Merleah waited until Felix was done checking around, then Arkel said, "We should move quickly into town just in case we are being watched."

Felix nodded his agreement then changed his mind and added, "I would like to go to my cache in the woods over the way - I've got some clothes and a few things I may need for this mission," and then without another word led them into the woods.

Arkel marvelled at how easily Felix moved in the woods - walking so quietly yet efficiently; he started to understand why this strange man had the moniker of 'Bush Man'.

When they got close to the cache, Felix had them stop short while he checked the cache and surrounding area - everything was as he had left it. He dug up the cache; changed into local clothes again, then while he reburied the cache he told Arkel and Merleah to head into town ahead of him so he could check for watchers.

Felix kept a very wary and sharp eye about as he went a different route to Arkel's house, where he stayed outside for a while and listened while watching the area. After about 30 minutes of not sensing or seeing any unusual activity or movement he finally knocked lightly at the back door of the house; the kitchen drapes finally moved a bit to reveal Katarine - she came over and opened the back door to let Felix inside.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.