Civility
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2009 by Jay Cantrell

I stopped in to inform Janet that I would return after lunch.

"Have whatever you and Lila want ordered in," I said. "Mo has menus from about a million places."

Mo — don't you dare call me Maureen — was my secretary. She was perhaps 240 years old. She had been old when I was a child and that was 30 years before. But she still was going strong. She had been my caregiver as a child (Mo hated the word babysitter, too). She was my caregiver as an adult.

I filled the muscle I brought along about why I was visiting Mr. Federici. I didn't begrudge him his attempt to collect upon a debt. That was his right as a businessman. But the debt belonged to Leo Gomez. Federici had crossed the line when he authorized his agents to threaten harm to Janet and Lila. He had perhaps sealed his doom when he authorized them to stalk and potentially abduct and rape the Conroy women.

Marcus has a soft spot for women in peril. I think it is part of a hero fantasy in his head. I'm no psychiatrist — although I am certain that I could use the services of a dozen or more — but I suspected it was because his mother was killed by his father when Marcus was in his teens. He had been unable to save his mother, so he wanted to save others he met. It made as much sense to me as anything because I was pretty sure that is why I was involved as deeply as I was.

Eric and Rob were hired muscle. They had their uses but there seemed to be no deep-seated reason for their actions. They would rough up a 90-year-old man if I paid them to or they would act as bodyguards to the same man a week later if it needed to be done. They were functionaries. But they were good with their fists — and with various other items as the case might be.

Louie's Supper Club was Enrico Federici's home away from home. It was rumored that he was at Louie's more often than he was at home, so maybe my theory was flawed. Perhaps Louie's was simply his home. I had met his first wife — an absolute shrew of a woman — when I was in my teens. I had heard he had remarried but I had yet to meet his second wife. Enrico Federici was too far down the food chain for me to notice.

I didn't dawdle in the front room of Louie's. With Marcus, Eric and Rob with me, no one dared to say a thing when I walked through the kitchen and into Federici's private office.

He looked up quickly when I entered. Surprise registered on his face.

"Mr. McPherson," he said. "To what to I owe this honor?"

Enrico Federici was one I expected to call me Mr. McPherson.

"Perhaps you should discuss that with the owner of this cell phone number," I stated as I handed the slip of paper Janet had given me across to him. I could tell he recognized the digits.

"Here are the facts, Mr. Federici," I said. "You allowed a man with no money to place bets with you. He lost and you want that money. That money is not forthcoming because, quite frankly, Mr. Gomez no longer exists."

Federici slapped his palms on the table in anger.

"Fifty fuckin' Gees," he said.

"I'm not finished, Mr. Federici," I stated tonelessly. "The agents you authorized to collect this debt have offended my sense of moral decency. That cannot and will not go unchallenged. You will make reparations."

The man before me paled. He was a small-time player and I was not.

"Mr. McPherson," he said. "I beg your indulgence. It was not I who allowed Gomez to place wagers. I have, uh, outsourced some of my holdings."

"You are responsible for those you hire, Mr. Federici," Marcus said. It was rare for him to become involved in such matters. He generally left the talking to me. "Just as Mr. McPherson must authorize any action I or my companions take. Surely you must know Mr. McPherson would hold you to the same standard."

I saw the look on Federici's face and I realize why Marcus had interceded. The man was a racist. He was appalled to be spoken to in such a manner by Marcus.

"My associate, as usual, is correct," I added.

Federici looked at me.

"I believe if I am given the chance, I will offer the proper response," he said firmly.

"I doubt that highly," I said.

The man's eyes widened.

"Your agents threatened the rape and torture of a 14-year-old girl and her mother this morning," Marcus said with venom. "They stalked the girl and were waiting outside of her school when I intervened. What restitution do you plan to offer Mr. McPherson?"

Federici didn't get the chance to answer before his office door banged opened and a young man and woman barged in. Eric and Rob were on their game though and any threat from the newcomers was neutralized. I recognized the man from the description Janet had provided.

"Ah, the main culprit has arrived," I said. "May I assume you came to inform Mr. Federici of my impending visit?"

The man gulped but nodded.

"As you can see, there is no need," I added unnecessarily.

"Mr. Federici, this is the piece of shit that threatened to rape a teenaged girl this morning," Marcus said. "This is the piece of shit that followed the girl to school and took pictures of her as she walked. I should mention, sir, there were several close up pictures of the girl's rear end in the van when I intervened outside the school."

The young man found his voice.

"What did you do with Sean and Todd?" he insisted.

I glared at him.

"You are in no position to ask questions," I said. It was true, his arm was pinioned behind his back and Eric had a beefy arm across the man's throat. As if to prove my point, Eric tightened slightly and man's face got redder.

"But I'm certain Marcus kept them safe," I replied. "Now, Mr. Federici, do you understand why I am here. Janet Conroy and her daughter are under my protection. They were under my protection when this thing paid Janet a visit at her place of employment this morning."

"You worthless piece of shit," he screamed at the man. "You and your worthless cunt of a mother are going to get me killed."

I realized who was standing with Eric's arm across his throat.

"Your son?" I asked. "And may I assume your heir?"

"Neither," the man spat. "He's the boy I raised as my own but he is not my son."

"Unfortunately, raising him meant the morals he has — or rather doesn't have — come from you," I stated. "The punishment is still the same. Would you like to hear how you can keep your family alive, Mr. Federici?"

The man paled but nodded.

"Your son comes with me," I said. "That is not open for debate. Marcus has already secured the other two."

I wasn't certain of this but I was almost sure he had.

"They will be re-educated," I continued. "I will teach them firsthand the value of life and family — lessons it is obvious to me that you failed to instill. By noon Sunday, you will pay me $50,000 in cash. If you fail to do that, I will have the horrors your son threatened on Janet and her daughter perpetrated on each of your wives while you watch. Oh, and on this one over there, too, I think."

There was a young red-haired girl who Rob was holding on to. She looked maybe 18 or 19. It was hard to tell beneath the heavy make up and the slutty clothing she wore. I assumed she was the son's girlfriend. I assumed wrongly.

"Leave my sister alone," the man huffed. Eric's vice-like grip made the last syllable more of a whimper.

"Oh, your sister," I said. "Even better. Yours, Mr. Federici, or did your wife have a donor for this one, too?"

Mr. Federici was silent.

"You know my family," I said. "I will release your son and his companions when I feel their training is complete. If they can not complete the training..."

I let the sentence trail off.

Strangely the girl had stood completely motionless during the exchange. Her expression had not changed from the look of bemused boredom since she walked in the door. Marcus noticed this, too. I could see he was watching her closely.

"Are you Michael McPherson?" the girl asked as we prepared to leave. I shifted my eyes to her and nodded.

"May I speak with you privately?" she asked.

"I don't think so," I said. "I am certain there is nothing you can say that I would want to hear."

"Your bodyguard can come with us," she said. "I give you my word that I intend you no harm."

Federici was livid.

"Amelia, you stay the fuck out of this," he screamed.

"It sounds as if Tony has already put me squarely in the middle of this," she said. Her voice was younger than I had expected. "Along with my mother and his mother. If I am to be raped repeatedly, at the very least I should be able to have a short conversation and try to come to my own arrangement."

There was a look of nonchalance on her face. It was as if she made this sort of pronouncement every day.

"Fine, Ms. Federici," I said. "We can speak. Eric, would you and Rob escort Tony to the vehicle. You know what to do and where to take him."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.