Nx - Cover

Nx

Copyright© 2009 by dak

Chapter 10

I was sitting on the bridge of our new ship watching as a Helper went about installing new systems, I hadn't noticed before but its shape was capable of changing to fit the needs of its work, right now he was bipedal and vaguely human shaped. I watched intrigued as a new arm formed from his chaise to work installing a new control panel. Elora was technically on the ship as her core had been installed, but mentally she was onboard the Helper ship arranging an technology exchange.

"Need any help?" I asked the Helper.

He answered with a burst of binary that delved into a deep explanation as to why he did not need help at the moment, he fed technical specs into his answer, in general saying he had it covered.

"Do your people always communicate as such?" I asked aloud

Another burst going on to their evolution beyond simple verbal communication, he included the history of the loss of humanity in his transmission and how they had felt no longer compelled to limit their communication, he even included a diagram of a device I could instal in myself so I would no longer need to speak to him or other computer interfaces, it was very similar to my tethering connection only with a larger bandwidth.

"Actually not right now, I may want it later, but I enjoy speaking to people." I said.

He stopped what he was doing and the sensors at the top of his body turned toward me.

He sent out a short quarry, he was asking why giving me several examples where his way would be more efficient.

"I don't know, even when I was first activated I talked to Elora, we could of communicated like you do. It would have been more efficient, I guess its in our programing but I enjoy conversation, the give and take of it." I said.

He stared at me for another few minutes.

"I am a repair model talking is allocated for the diplomats." He said in a flat voice.

"I see, well as you explore more dimensions with biologics you may find the need to speak becoming more common." I said.

"My progenitors as a requirement spoke a form of human dialect similar to what you speak, it is in our databases." He said.

I nodded at that.

"I have thousands of human dialects in my database." I said.

He tilted his head.

"I only have 13 in mine." He said.

"Why so little?" I asked.

"As I said we do not often speak, 10 are from our past, 3 are ones we have chosen to use sense joining the task force." He said.

"Why only three?" I asked.

"Because they are the three most common languages through out the dimensions, it was deemed unimportant to learn every variation of human or biological dialect, there is a 98% chance that any species we encounter will know one of the 3 languages or will be able to translate from it." He said

"I see, there must not be much variance between dimensions." I said.

"There are an infinite amount of diversion, however to reach further divergences in the dimensional plane from your point of origin you have to expend larger amounts of energy, the result is on average a commonality among travelers of worlds; To reach a truly unique dimension you would need to expend astronomical amounts of energy." he said.

"Oh." I said.

"You see I could convey all of this data to you in seconds, this dialog truly is limited." he said.

I smiled at that.

"Yes but I doubt I would of gotten a sense of your personality otherwise." I said

Some of his sensors blinked off and on for a second.

"I do not understand." he said.

"Simple the way you chose to vocalize the data you presented to me, the manner in which it was told can give an in sight into ones being." I said

I sent him a burst of navigational data and log from my failed wormhole attempt.

"Now if I told you that story myself you probably would get more insight into who I am than from the raw data I sent you." I said.

"I see." He said.

The comm beeped, I held up my hand to stall him before flipping it on.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.