Nx - Cover

Nx

Copyright© 2009 by dak

Chapter 5

Luna who had been jovial the entire time suddenly frowned, her eyes grew larger.

"I am sorry if I offended you, I did not mean to, please don't take me as an example of the JSTF." Luna said.

"Whoa what do you mean?" I said.

"I did not mean to offend you with my comment on synthetic life forms" Luna said.

"Luna you didn't, why would you think that?" I asked.

"I thought when I laughed at you two you thought I was making fun of you, so you did not want to seek asylum." She said looking sad.

"No Luna of course not, what I meant is that I can't abandon my home." I said.

"I concur." Elora said.

Luna looked at me than at the screen.

"I don't understand? This dimension is lost, they have dormant breeding facilities all over the galaxy, they will activate at the first sign of life, you can not fight them alone." She said.

"Than help me fight them Luna, your task force could help me." I said.

She shook her head.

"We have a group who is dedicated to taking back dimensions, but they have strict criteria, for one their has to be a large population to justify the risk, they have our latest technology, the best people and even than sometimes they fail. Otherwise we simply guard the weak points between dimensions to prevent them from invading new worlds, and we rescue who we can." She said

I was frowning.

"I am sorry Luna, if you can drop Elora and I off at one of the human derelicts I would appreciate it." I said.

She was looking at me strangely.

"You would do that? You would stay and fight when you do not even know if there are humans left here?" She said.

I nodded.

"That was my goal here, to access one of the ships computers to see any information on lost ships and colonies, I was going to search for them." I said.

"That could take hundreds of years." She said in wonder.

The alarm klaxon rang through out the ship, Luna moved swiftly over the controls, her hands a blur over them. There was so much sensor data that I had a lag in keeping up, but Luna seemed to know what was happening.

"Multiple wormhole openings, all from this dimension." She said.

I looked at the data.

"Oh my." Elora said.

I looked at the readings and blinked.

"That can't be right." I said.

"Now you see Nx, this is what you face, will you stay and fight this." Luna said.

On the screen it showed five ships, each 16km in length, flanked with thousands of smaller vessels, Luna was spinning her ship around and heading out of the system.

"I can not even risk being detected by them." She said.

I sat there stunned, and thinking, it was a battle I couldn't hope to win, I looked through the data in my head, I knew some of the enemy weakness, but they got you with numbers, eventually you would be overwhelmed, I shut my eyes and saw the sensor data for Sol System.

"Yes, I will stay and fight." I said opening my eyes.

Luna looked at me stunned.

"My people, they blew up the sun to hurt these monsters, staying to finish the job is the least I can do for them." I said.

Luna was moving the controls.

"Brace yourself, I am spooling up the ftl, we can't risk a worm hole this near to that fleet." She said.

The ship shuddered, as we launched.

"Luna the time dilation?" I said

She shrugged.

"My species is long lived a few days at FTL is only a few years, I wont miss much, we will need to be far away from any Hive presence before we use a wormhole. I have an idea Nx, we can petition command for aid for you, I can not promise much but they may send a few ships to help you." She said looking over at me.

"I thought my cause was a lost one?" I said.

"Nx just be cause it is a lost cause does not make it any less worthy." She said.

I smiled at her, and she returned it with her large toothy grin.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.