Cade - Cover

Cade

Copyright© 2009 by Jujubees

Chapter 34

The Farmer's Co-op decided to sponsor a Harvest Ball. Everyone in the Co-op donated a percentage of their earnings from selling their produce toward paying for the band, decorations, and refreshments. Callie and Angie were in charge of the decorations, and they dragged the kids with them the afternoon before the ball to help decorate the town hall. Despite the kids running around during the decorating process, Callie and Angie somehow managed to transform the town hall.

Callie enjoyed being on the decorating committee. She had dropped out of school at a very young age, and therefore had never attended any formal school dances. The ball was a poor substitute for all of the dances she had missed in her youth, but somehow helping with the ball helped to ease the pain of everything she had missed in her youth.

The last time Callie and Cade had been to a dance was last year at Christmas when they attended Cade's work party. He had been working at the tire store. Callie shuddered as she recalled the whipping Cade had given her after the dance because she had flirted with so many men. She had been sore for almost a week after that, and she was determined not to make the same mistake this time. She felt as though last Christmas was another lifetime almost.

"I think the decorations look great if I do say so myself," Angie smiled as they finished placing the last of the decorations.

Callie laughed, "I agree."

"We make a good team," Angie smiled and put her arm around Callie's shoulders and gave her a squeeze.

Callie returned Angie's squeeze and the two of them stood beside each other, admiring their work. They had become very close friends in a short time, and they knew they could rely on each other. "I'm looking forward to the dance tonight," Callie smiled. "Cade even let me buy a new dress."

Angie smiled. "I hope it's not too fancy. Just because we're calling this dance a 'ball' doesn't mean you need to look like Cinderella."

"Trust me, the dress I bought will not make me look like Cinderella," Callie laughed. "Plus, it's very modest compared to some of the slinky dresses I wore to the clubs in the city."

Angie smiled. "The men in this town probably wouldn't mind seeing you in a slinky dress. It's their wives you would have to watch out for."

"Tell me about it. Not to mention, the last time Cade and I went to a dance together I got in big trouble," Callie mused.

"Why?" Angie asked. She was happy Callie continued to open up to her.

Callie's face flushed red, "Let me put it this way, Cade got a little angry with me for hanging around with the men so much rather than the women."

Angie smirked, "I've seen the way Cade looks at you honey. He may just take apart another man if that man doesn't keep his distance."

Callie was embarrassed, "He doesn't look at me that way."

"Oh yes he does," Angie insisted. "God almighty girl, he loves you and it shows. You should feel lucky."

"I do feel lucky," Callie said. "Believe me." She helped Angie gather up their supplies.

"Mom," it was Jessica. "I'm not feeling well."

Callie reached down and touched Jessica's forehead with her hand, "You don't have a fever," Callie said, looking knowingly at Angie who shook her head. Jessica had been faking she was sick for hours, in an attempt to get out of attending the ball. "I think you're just fine."

"I'm not fine," Jessica protested.

"We're not staying home from the dance Jess," Callie said. "You're going to get dressed up like the rest of us and we're all going to the Harvest Ball."

Jessica wasn't sure what the Harvest Ball was. All she knew was that her favorite show was on television tonight and she would miss it by going to the stupid Ball.

"Let's go home," Angie called to her children. She knew Callie had to deal with Jessica and it was time to get her brood ready. Angie's children rushed to the van and got inside and before she left, Angie smiled at Callie, "I'll see you tonight, that is if someone at your house doesn't end up having the plague," she smirked.

Jessica looked at her mom. "What's the plague?" She asked.

"Never mind about the plague, let's go home and get ready," Callie said, "I'm pretty sure your dad is waiting for us." Jessica frowned because Callie didn't answer her question.

When they arrived home, Cade had been pacing back and forth in his new clothes. Callie had bought him a new pair of slacks and a dress shirt and tie. He never dressed up. He fidgeted with his tie, unable to tie it. When she saw him, Callie was pleased at how handsome he looked in his new clothes.

"Daddy," Jessica ran and threw her arms around his legs. "I'm sick and mom is still making me go to this stupid ball thingy."

Cade knelt down and looked Jessica in the eye, "You don't look very sick to me."

"I have the plague," Jessica informed him. "See" and she opened her mouth wide to show Cade.

He stifled a laugh, wondering where she had heard of the plague. He peered inside her mouth, "Yes, I see what you mean. You might have the plague," Cade said in a worried voice. "We better get you to the doctor right away for some shots and medicine. You'll have to stay in bed all night long and not leave your room for at least two weeks." Harley and Ashley smirked at one another, and Callie stifled a laugh.

Jessica clamped her mouth shut, "I don't really have the plague, do I?" she asked with concern.

"I don't know, we better go see the doctor, just to be sure," Cade said.

"No," Jessica said, "I feel a lot better, see feel my forehead," she took Cade's hand and pressed it against her forehead, "I don't got no fever, just ask mom."

Callie decided to join in on the fun, and she walked over and put her hand on Jessica's forehead, "I don't know, maybe I was wrong. Maybe you do have a fever Jess," she said doubtfully.

"I don't have a fever," Jessica said on the verge of tears. "I can go to the dance. I don't need a doctor."

"I don't know," Cade said doubtfully, "Go on upstairs and get ready and then we'll see how you feel after that," Cade said patting her bottom and scooting her out of the room.

Jessica raced up the stairs and Ashley and Harley giggled as they followed her.

Cade looked at his wife and sighed, "I don't know how to tie this damn necktie."

Callie smiled and stood in front of him, gently placing the tie around his neck and tying it for him. She cinched it up to his neck with affection. "You look very handsome," she smiled.

Cade shook his head, "If you say so," and he inserted his finger between his neck and collar, "I hate how tight this feels on my neck."

"It's not going to kill you for one night," Callie said and she rushed upstairs to get dressed.

Cade wasn't so sure it wasn't going to kill him. He plopped on the couch and lit a cigarette as he waited for his family to get ready.


It was the middle of October and the air was crisp. Fall was just beginning, and most of the leaves had turned colors and fallen off the trees. Halloween was in two weeks. Nearly every member of the Farmer's Co-op attended the dance. The decorations that Callie and Angie chose had an autumn theme, and the tans, oranges, browns, and reds, were stunning under the lights. The dance had a rustic yet formal feel. Angie had a gift when it came to decorating, and even though this had been Callie's first effort at decorations, she had come up with many great ideas that Angie had readily adopted.

All of the men were dressed similar to Cade, and the women were dressed similar to Callie. Callie's dress, although form fitting, was modest. They had gotten the dress code right. Cade's two daughters wore inexpensive dresses that Callie had purchased for them, and Harley had to wear a shirt and tie with his best jeans. Cade was pleased at how well his family fit in with everyone else. He ran his hands along Callie's curves and nibbled at her ear, "Just wait 'til I get you home," he growled in a low voice.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.