Cade - Cover

Cade

Copyright© 2009 by Jujubees

Chapter 39: The End of an Era

Cade hugged his children with his good arm, as he lay helpless in his hospital bed. The children crowded around him where they could find room. The nurse eventually shooed the children out so that she could take Cade's vital signs. They didn't want to leave, but the nurse insisted. Cade needed his rest.

Callie was relieved now that Cade was awake, and all she could do was weep. Cade weakly pulled her to him after the children and the nurse were gone, and she laid her head on his chest. "Shhhh," he said softly. "It's alright."

"I'm so glad you are alive," she sobbed.

"It's going to be OK," Cade assured her as he lightly rubbed her back. He felt terrible, but he managed a slight smile before closing his eyes and drifting back to sleep.

Callie eventually left his side and she began thinking about going home. She was anxious to sleep in her own bed and hated the motel room, but the more she thought about the empty house without Cade, the more she realized she wasn't ready to go back yet. She didn't want to return home without Cade, so she resolved to stay until he was well enough to leave the hospital.

Angie and Lonnie continued to bring fresh clothes for Callie and the children, but they still hadn't found a way to tell them the news about the construction on their home.

"Thank God you're OK," Lonnie grinned when he finally visited Cade. "Lord knows I've had a hard time keeping apprentices as it is."

Angie elbowed him, "This is not about just losing an apprentice you big oaf, you know you would be up shit creek without Cade." Then she smiled at Cade, "I'm so glad you're OK Cade."

Cade coughed and managed a weak grin. "I knew Lonnie could never find anyone else dumb enough to agree to be his apprentice, so that thought is what kept me going," he grimaced. Cade was in a regular hospital room now, and no longer in the intensive care unit. Lonnie and Angie's kids were running around the hospital corridors, and Angie continually left the room to scold them.

Cade's children were running around with Lonnie and Angie's children. It had been a long haul for Cade's family, and the children were tired of being at the hospital. The hospital staff shared their sentiment. Everyone was grateful that it wouldn't be long before Cade would be going home.


Two days after he woke up, Cade left the hospital with his arm in a sling so that the stitches in his shoulder wouldn't tear. Callie drove, and her driving got on Cade's nerves. When they finally reached the house, Callie screeched on the brakes. A crowd was there waiting to greet them, and after the car stopped, it was time to get out of the car. Callie felt light headed as she looked at the crowd and her renovated house. She felt as if she were going to faint when she saw the newly built garage.

"Look daddy," Jessica rushed to get out of the car to go look at the new garage. Harley and Ashley quickly followed. Callie blinked several times until she was finally convinced that she wasn't seeing things.

Cade had been the center of attention the last few months, but he had never grown used to the spotlight. All of their neighbors who were there to greet them seemed happy that Cade was alive and well. Cade slowly got out of the car with Callie's help. He didn't have the energy to walk around much. Several people helped him inside the house so he could sit down on the brand new living room couch. He made small talk with everyone who had come to see him, thanking them for everything they had done to help. Finally, he spotted Lonnie. "What happened to my house?" He asked. He somehow thought Lonnie and Angie were responsible.

Lonnie shrugged, "I'm not sure how to explain it to you," he sighed.

"I feel like I left the slums and came back to The Ritz-Carlton," Cade said.

Angie laughed, "Trust me Cade, this is not The Ritz."

Lonnie rolled his eyes, "As if you would know Anj."

"Well if you would take me on a vacation once in awhile, I just might know." Angie quipped.

"I'm just a poor plumber for God's sake. Tell her Cade," Lonnie pleaded.

Cade smiled and then glanced around at the interior of the living room, noticing the refinished wood floors and all of the new furniture. He realized he had never lived in a house this nice before.

Callie continued to thank everyone who had come, and she made sure everyone got some of the refreshments that Angie had furnished. Everyone who was there seemed happy about Cade's recovery. The hours of time they had donated, seemed worth it to them, especially when they saw how grateful Callie and Cade were.

Lonnie began herding the crowd outside and away from the house, thanking them for coming. The weather had turned cold and a feeling of snow was in the air, so the crowd didn't linger.

"How did this happen?" Callie asked Angie when the last guest was finally gone.

Angie glanced at Lonnie and realized there was simply no other way around it other than to tell them straight out. She began explaining to Callie and Cade that Gary Holmes had shown up and decided to fund the project. Angie explained how Gary had insisted that the work was to be completed in a week and how he had hired half-a-dozen contractors, along with at least a hundred workers, not to mention the volunteers. With everyone pitching in, the work was miraculously completed on time. Cade was weak, but hearing Gary's name got a reaction from him. He stood up, "I don't want any charity from that asshole."

Callie swallowed, "Why would Gary Holmes want to do something like this for us? I thought he hated us?"

The children were racing from room to room, looking at the new furnishings, and trying everything out. "I think Gary Holmes felt he owed it to you because his Aunt Martha was denied her inheritance." Angie said.

"So this was all about easing his conscience," Cade grumbled. "I've a good mind to burn it to the ground."

Callie looked down. She understood how Cade felt, but the way the house looked was wonderful.

Angie rushed to Cade's side and took his arm, "You need to take it easy Cade, so you can heal. Let's get you upstairs."

Lonnie grabbed Cade's other arm and he and Angie helped Cade up the stairs to his room. Sandra Holmes had insisted that all of the antique furniture in the house was preserved. Everything else was repainted and polished. The new throw rugs that covered the floors were no longer threadbare. Cade was exhausted and as he looked at his bed, all he wanted to do was crawl into it. Lonnie and Angie eased him down onto the bed, and made him comfortable. As they got him a glass of water, and the other things he needed to be comfortable, he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Callie sent the children away from where Cade was sleeping and closed the door, and then she looked at the children's bedrooms. They pointed out all of their new furnishings. Their clothes were washed. There were new clothes among the old ones. Harley could hardly believe his eyes when he realized the old closet next to Callie and Cade's room had been expanded and made into a second bathroom. It was large with a door leading into Callie and Cade's room on one side, and an entry from the hallway on the other.

Callie looked at the tile floor and antique style fixtures and tub in the bathroom. It was heavenly, and it wasn't like the downstairs bathroom, which was small and cramped. New towels hung on the towel racks, and Callie could not believe the work that had gone into the decorating and renovating of the house. It was miraculous.

The downstairs back porch was expanded and a brand new washer and dryer were there. Tears filled Callie's eyes. She had never been the recipient of this type of charity before. She knew it was because of the respect everyone had for Cade and that it had nothing to do with her, but she was grateful. She wept for joy, and her heart could not stop racing.

"It's beautiful," Jessica said as she entered each room.

Callie walked out to see the new garage. It was similar to the design of the old garage, with a high ceiling and rafters. It had two automatic doors and a new workbench for Cade. All of the tools they could salvage from the fire, along with some new ones, were organized on a pegboard above the work bench.

Callie got a lump in her throat. In a million years, she knew they would never have been able to afford these things. The kitchen was her favorite part of the house. The antique cabinets were refinished and brand new cooking appliances and utensils filled the drawers and shelves. A new dinette set was in the kitchen, and the pantry was fully stocked. Callie walked into the pantry and slowly removed the sugar to verify that the old razor strop was still there. She wondered briefly what people thought when they saw the strop. Part of her wished they had thrown it away, but another part of her felt secure in knowing that it was still there.


Gary Holmes waited a week after Cade returned home, before paying a visit. When he arrived at Cade's home, Cade was much stronger. The children were at school when Gary and his wife arrived. Cade was sitting on the couch and Callie was doing some housework. Callie and Cade heard the car drive up outside, but it was more difficult to hear through their new windows. Callie wasn't surprised to see Gary and his wife because she knew it was just a matter a time before they showed up.

They knocked, and Callie rushed to the front door and nervously opened it. "Hello, I'm Sandy," Sandy said warmly when Callie opened the door. Sandy extended her hand, "and this is my husband Gary," she pointed to Gary. Callie wasn't used to a woman being as bold as Sandy, introducing herself and then her husband. It was usually the other way around.

"I'm Callie," Callie responded.

"Hello Callie," Gary said softly.

Callie nervously shook Gary Holmes hand, "Come in," she motioned.

Cade looked up when they entered and said nothing.

Sandy immediately noticed Cade's rugged appearance. The sight of him aroused her a little because he had such a strong male presence. She seldom encountered men like that anymore, especially in the social circles she traveled in. "So what do you think about the new furnishings?" Sandy asked.

Cade frowned and stood up to face them. "I never gave you permission to do this." Cade addressed his words to Gary, since that was the male thing to do.

"I know that Cade," Gary said in a strong voice. "I thought it was time for a new start, for all of us, and I felt this was one way to do that."

"You must have thought I could never afford to fix up this house like this." Cade's jaw was tense.

Gary looked down, "I never thought about that one way or the other. I just knew that you were cheated out of your inheritance Cade, and because of your circumstances, I felt now was the time to try making it right."

"So you thought you could make it right," Cade rolled his eyes. "This is my inheritance?"

"Compared to the inheritance you should have gotten," Gary explained, "This house is nothing."

"Are you talking about my grandmother's inheritance because she was a Holmes?" Cade asked.

"Yes," Gary said firmly. "She was disinherited for marrying your grandfather."

"It was her choice," Cade spat. "She didn't care about her inheritance and neither do I."

"Indeed," Gary nodded. This was even more difficult than he thought it might be. "I knew if I offered you money, that you would refuse it."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.