Path To Glory - Cover

Path To Glory

Copyright© 2008 by Brendan Buckley

Chapter 37

No one wanted to get to the course too early and since Sophie didn't tee off until 11:40 and Catalina, who was still in the last group, didn't hit the course until noon, we didn't leave the house until 10. I offered to stay with Tanner for the day to let Amelie get out of the house but she looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

I told both Catalina and Sophie that if they needed to make up a stroke, to use my trick on 13.

"It's no good to leave it in the bag," I said. "They're going to tighten up the tree line this fall. By next year, a gnat couldn't get through, let alone a golf ball."

Catalina said she planned to do it whether she needed to or not.

"If I go your route, it'll be a birdie," she said. "A stroke is a stroke. If I'm up 11 or down 11 at that point, it'll be worth it."

Sophie said she'd use it if she had moved into contention, but if Catalina was in front, she'd leave the shot for her.

"If I use it, she probably won't be able to," Sophie said, but I told her to not to think too far ahead.

Jenny Phipps was in the group between Catalina and Sophie and I knew she might head off to the 8th fairway, too, if she needed to.

Sophie was still six back by the time she hit 13, so she played it down the middle. Jenny was in contention, but did the same.

Catalina was a stroke back going into 13 and a shot ahead coming out. She played it perfectly and dropped a 50-foot eagle putt that was more amazing that her tee shot. Just as I had, Catalina didn't even pretend she was aiming anywhere else. She just took her driver and aimed for the 8th tee box. When her eagle putt dropped, she calmly handed the putter back to Jill, and acted like she drained them from that distance every day.

She gave a shot back on 16 though and bogeyed 18 to finish tied for second with Jenny. Still, she took home more than $80,000 for her efforts. I was happy to see she wasn't satisfied with second place.

"I got too cocky after 13," she said. "I started to think I was Queen Shit. Jill tried to tell me to cool it, but I had to go for the driver on 18. I can't be doing stupid shit like that and expect to win tournaments."

Coupled with Sophie's 11th place finish, the Montoya sisters cleared better than $100,000 for the week. Of course it would be more like $40,000 by the time the government got finished, but still nothing to sneeze at.

Their success made it easier for them to accept my sponsorship offer.

"We worried you'd lose your money," Sophie told me that evening. "But after two tournaments, Cat's up to $100,000 in career earnings already. I've won close to $500,000 in three years. What we won this week can keep us on tour for half the year. With your sponsorship we're both guaranteed a full year even if we miss every cut from here on out."

I told them all I wanted was to make sure that they had a chance.

"I never worried about losing the money," I told them. "I knew if you got the chance to relax and play golf, there was no way I could miss."

Jenny and some of the other pros were using my house Monday afternoon for a baby shower for Amelie, but it was Sunday night and time for the gaggle of women to pay me what they owed.


I wasn't surprised when I found the hot tub filled with half naked women when I got home. I had hoped that somehow Bailey would find a way to put an end to all this but it appeared that she wasn't really trying.

"I called Mom and Dad today," Bailey told me. "They are pretty happy that you are at least still talking to me."

"What did they think of your living arrangements?" I wondered aloud. I could still picture the look on Jack Stenstrom's face when I had asked Bailey to help with the fund-raiser all those years before.

"They were pretty excited, actually," Bailey said. "I, uh, well, I told them I might like to make this a home base. You know, like Amelie does when she is back on tour."

I wasn't sure what to say so I sat silently for a moment. At least until Sara elbowed me in the ribs.

"I don't have a problem with that Bailey," I replied. "So long as it is something that you are comfortable with, I'm perfectly OK with that. In fact, any time any of you need or want a place to stay, you are welcome here. Lord knows there is plenty of room."

It drew a laugh from everyone and the tension seemed to ease.

The women, expect for Amelie who was nursing, were all drinking wine and by nine o'clock the giggling fest was in full swing. I had been lost in my thoughts for most of the night — well when I wasn't ogling the naked breasts of my house guests, that is — so I missed much of the conversation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.