Pathfinder - Cover

Pathfinder

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Chapter 16

Thursday, January 1st, 2015

I walked the streets with Mike in tow. This new city was even more beautiful than it was on hologram. Nothing of the looks of the outside world was present here. No crumbling masonry from lack of attention, no bullet holes from those rioting days when everything started going to shit. No zombies, which was always the best point in my book. We walked to the capital where we would meet are benefactor and his blond sidekick. "This all seems so surreal sometimes doesn't it?" I said looking at my friend of many years.

"Yes it does, it was pure luck that they dropped into our laps. Without them we would probably be dead by now."

"I know what you mean, he's saved us from a lot of heart ache and pain."

"Have you thought of a name for the city yet?"

"Yes I have but, I think I'll leave that as a surprise."

"You and your surprises, one of these days you are going to grow up and start acting like a man."

"Coming from the mouth of the man who still plays video games, that doesn't really hurt my feelings all that much." I replied with a grin.

"Point taken, have you met the new AI yet?" Mike asked me.

"Not yet, I've been meaning to come up but never had the chance. I've had my head into every book I could find about how to run a government and I have to tell you that there aren't very many and the ones I did find weren't all that useful." Derrick shook his head. He couldn't believe the time he waisted reading those books.

"You thought it was going to be that easy?" Mike asked chuckling.

"Not really, but I had to give it a try. I ran out of books after two days and spent the rest of that time going over any stories I could find on line that had similar situations. I found several there that gave me some ideas on what not to do. I've also been studying the technology of the Empire. And the first thing I'm going to do is get hooked up to one of those teaching computers they've developed. I've waisted a lot of time by not just doing that first."

"Learning computers?"

"Yeah, they're controlled by an AI that creates learning programs that are specifically designed for an individual and teaches them in a way that that person can take full advantage of. Time to teach drops by 60% in most cases."

"Damn, are you telling me that someone could become a doctor in 3 or 4 years?"

"Actually it's more like a year and a half to two years. The training programs teaches only that field and fields closely related. All that other nonsense is thrown out or learned by choice at another time."

"That's amazing," I heard Mike say in wonder.

"Your telling me, my first official order of business is to get the school system back up and running. With the replicators providing food for us, we can take a little time and get some more people trained up. This city is going to need workers in all kinds of fields in order to operate. Not to mention the space port. And we'll need crew for all those ships we are going to build."

"How do you plan on getting those people? With barely over 1000 here we don't have anywhere near enough to handle even one of the larger ships. Maybe one of the smaller classes but just barely."

"I've been thinking about that myself, we need to get out there and start recruiting people to come here."

"Do you think that'll work? People would be practically settled in by now. They may not want to leave."

"Well that'll be fine as well, we'll still offer any support we can as far as medicine and food is concerned. We will just have to be really good sales men and get the people here that we need."

"How are we going to get the people here? I doubt anyone would want to climb aboard one of those shuttles that the spiders are working on."

"I have a plan for that as well," I finished as we'd finally reached our two companions. "Afternoon, Captain. How are you today?"

"I am fine thanks for asking. How are you and Mike today?"

"I'm not sure about him but I'm a little nervous and a lot of excited. Hey there Chris, how are you today?"

"I've never been better," she responded with a smile.

"Are you ready to meet your new AI?"

"I guess I am," I replied trying to stamp down on my nervousness.

"Well then why don't you two follow us," he said turning to walk into the building behind him. The layout of the city was originally designed from one of the larger cities from his home planet. The buildings here were the same size as those as well, but we adjusted their look to more coincide with our style of build. The city could house over 2 million people in itself and the surrounding areas. There were farms already plotted out for those that wanted them. These would be the major food producing farms for the population. And as our numbers grow so will the number of farms that surround the city. When the time is right we will then build more cities with their own farms as well. If I was going to be the one in charge I was going to make sure not to fall into the same problems that our previous governments fell into.

We walked in and I immediately saw the marble flooring and wondered at the cost of such a thing. Then laughed at myself when I realized that money as we knew it was now even more useless than ever. We headed to an elevator and took it to the 60th floor. The ride took less than 15 seconds and I was amazed at the speed as the numbers for each individual floor stayed lit for micro seconds.

The doors opened and I was led out into a huge room. There were several doors leading from it but my attention was pulled to the enormous double doors. They were eight feet high three feet wide each. They were made from some dark wood and looked magnificent. The doors opened and out walked a goddess. She was wearing a green summer dress that did nothing to hide her small curves. She couldn't have been more than 5'3" and 100lbs. If it wasn't for the fact that her chest and hips were so pronounced I'd have problems telling if this was a child or not. As she approached I noticed the brown eyes that sparkled with some kind of hidden amusement. Her hair reached her shoulders in loose curls and I was enthralled by her lips. They looked so inviting I couldn't stop myself from leaning forward as she reached us. I watched those lips moving but didn't notice any sound. I did notice he sharp pain in my side though and woke from my day dream.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I said realizing that she had spoken.

"I said it is a pleasure to meet you," she said with a giggle as she extended her hand. I took it without thinking and grasped it gently in my own as I responded.

"the pleasure is all mine," I replied trying desperately to ignore the chuckling coming from my so called friend. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?" I asked hoping to keep this angel talking to me.

"That would be because you haven't given me one," she said with that same alluring giggle that was like music to my ears. It took a moment before her words sunk in but when they did my mind finally lifted from the fog it'd been in.

"I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean I haven't given you one?"

"This is your AI," Chris said.

"But I can touch her," I said looking down at where our hands were still joined. I promptly released her hand snapping mine to my sides.

"That would be because this is my body, my brain however is located about a mile underground," she said with that same smile.

"Wow," I said trying to get a handle on all this.

"So?" she said looking at me patiently.

"So, what?" I replied not understanding what she was asking.

"Oh, working with you is going to be lots of fun," she said laughing. "Are you going to give me a name or what?" she said with a large smile on her face.

"I ... I don't know what to name you. I didn't know I had to name you. Why didn't you tell me I had to name her?" I said turning to the two responsible for all this.

"I thought it be funny to surprise you." he said with a straight face. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.

"We are going to have to work on your humor. And as for you," I said turning to my new friend. "I think I will call you Angel. Is that OK with," I tried to ask but stumbled back as she jumped, her arms and legs wrapping around me. I grabbed hold of her o keep her from falling but pulled my hands away quickly when I realized that I had hold of her bottom.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.