Pathfinder
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Friday, October 4th

"Hey Mike, what's up?"

"Nothing much, how's things with you?"

"As good as can be expected, how are you handling the change of scenery?"

"Come off it Derrick, you and I both know I'm bored to death."

"That's about what I figured, I came to find you because I think I found the perfect job for you."

This seemed to get Michael's full attention. He'd been laying out in one of the parks, basking in the artificial sun's glow. He was shirtless and the muscles in his chest and stomach were evident. His hands were behind his head and he looked very relaxed. At the mention of a job however he opened his eyes and looked at me. To most men the coldness of his eyes would've frightened them but I knew Mike, have known him for many years. "And what type of job might be perfect for me?"

"Why don't we take a walk?" I said deflecting his question for now. He nodded once and stood smoothly to his feet. He was a little shorter than me but had me by at least 15lbs.

"After you," he said pulling on a white t-shirt he'd been using as a pillow. He followed me as I retraced my steps back to the galley. "Where are we headed?"

"To the galley."

"I've already eaten."

"So have I."

"Then why are we going there?"

"That is where some people I want you to meet are. Why so many questions, you afraid of me or something?"

"Afraid of you? Ha, not hardly," he said laughing. "But I am worried about your intentions." I had to chuckle at that statement. It seemed that as we grew up I was the one who usually talked him into getting in trouble.

"Don't worry, I have a feeling you'll like what I have to show you." we reached the galley shortly there after. The girls had just entered the hall as we approached. I got Jennifer's attention and introduce her to Mike. "Jennifer this is Mike, Mike this is Jennifer."

"Hello," Jennifer said with a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Hello," Mike said extending his hand for Jennifer to shake. She seemed a little hesitant to touch him but she forced herself and did it anyway.

"Mike, Jennifer here is the job I'd like you to do."

"Excuse me," he said narrowing his eyes.

"Well, her and the other girls that is."

"Just what the hell are you talking about Derrick?"

"Well, these here young women needed to find someone that would train them and I immediately thought of you."

"Train them for what?"

"They want to become what is basically an 'A Team'."

"You're kidding right?" Mike asked. I guess he couldn't figure out why a group of beautiful women would want to go through that kind of hell.

"No he's not Sir," Jennifer said. This caused Michael to look at her even more closely than before.

"You're one of the women from Ft. Knox aren't you?" I watched Jennifer flinch at the reminder. It must have made her think everyone knew and was talking about it behind her back. He looked over her shoulder at the line that followed her. "You are all from that group huh?" two managed to nod before Jennifer's spine decided to kick in.

"Yes we are Sir."

"Do you have any idea what you are getting yourselves into?"

"No Sir we don't, but that doesn't change anything. We want to fight."

"In that case," Mike looked over them all for a moment. "The answer is no," with that he turned and walked away. I was just as surprised as the girls and I'm sure my face showed it.

"Derrick ... who was that?" I hadn't noticed that Chris had approached us.

"That was Michael Anderson, he was in charge of training special forces teams while he was in the Military. When I heard what Jennifer and the others wanted I knew he'd be the right man for the job."

"If that is the case why did he say no?" Jennifer asked while Chris seemed to contemplate the man walking away.

"If I knew the answer to that I'd tell you."

"Derrick, why don't you tell me a little about him?" Chris asked taking my arm in hers and guiding me away. "Ladies, I'll come find you in a little while, go get some rest and we'll talk later." I looked over my shoulder and saw them nod their heads. Chris led me away and I don't know why, but I felt like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

Saturday, October 5th

Damn I loved a good run in the morning. And this park that was built in the middle of the housing complex made for a perfect spot. The path that wound it's way through it in a circle was exactly a half mile. It would've been a perfect run except for the other people who dotted the trail along with me. I couldn't get lost in the run as I usually did as I was forced to navigate my way through the eight women that were also running the trail.

I was just past Jennifer when I noticed a cute little blond standing to one side of the trail. I hadn't noticed her before now which was an amazing feat on her part. I didn't bother getting a good look but decided to focus once again on my run. I was now passing two girls who were barely managing to put one foot in front of the other. I'd passed these girls three times already and if I was right they were only on their third trip around the track. It seemed Jennifer was in the best shape of them all as she would soon pass these up as well if she didn't run out of steam.

After my 10th lap around, I stopped and stretched. I did this for more than half an hour before stopping. The stretches made me feel much better than I did before my run and I could feel the blood flowing freely through my body. I went back to my room, showered, dressed and left to get something to eat. The replicator in my apartment was great and all but I enjoyed eating with people around me even if I didn't normally speak to them. I noticed that as I left the girls were now stretching in the same place I had been. I doubt they'd done 5 miles today, at the paces they kept when I'd left it would've taken them at least another two or three hours. They probably only did two or three today, as good a place to start as any.

I was just finishing my meal when the group entered the cafeteria. They were walking in a straight line which I took for a half ass formation. They were in military style jump suits but the same coloring as the one that space captain wore. I stood and took my tray back to the replicator and watched in amazement again as it, along with all the food I hadn't eaten, disappeared in a shimmering of light.

I did some walking around trying to let my food settle. Derrick caught up with me at one point. "So why did you say no yesterday?"

"Because they didn't have a good reason for wanting to go through with it."

"Come on Mike you know what happened to them, if that isn't a good enough reason then I don't know what is."

"That's not what I meant. Yeah they've been through hell but in their minds they just want to hurt people. Could you imagine what could happen if 8 women bent on punishing men decided it was time for some payback?" He waited a few moments as if to let that sink in, then continued with, "Now, could you imagine what they could do if they were a highly trained special forces team?" I could tell right away that Derrick had never considered that.

"I see what you mean now. But they have already decided that you would be the one to train them and I don't think their minds will be that easy to change."

"I have to agree with you there. They showed up for my morning run, I thought this out of place but then remembered that that park was the only one with a running track in it. But I knew they were following me when they showed up in the Cafeteria with me."

"Following you? Why would you think they were following you? Those just seem to be coincidences if you ask me."

"Oh I'm sure they would be, but then, how would you explain the fact that they have been following me around for the last 45 minutes." This caused Derrick to stop and turn around. I looked over my shoulder too and could see that they were surprised that I'd noticed them. Jennifer recovered quickly and approached us.

"Will you train us now?"

"No," I said beginning to walk away. Derrick caught up shortly and as I turned a corner I noticed that they were once again following me but not bothering to keep the same lengthy distance as before. "I've been walking around aimlessly for over a half hour just seeing if they'd realize they'd been made."

"I told you they wouldn't give up."

"I didn't really expect them too."

"Did you have anything planned for today?"

"Not really, was just going to take some time to rest up for a bit before I found something to occupy my time. I do have a couple of books I've been meaning to catch up on. Not to mention little Jeff asked me to come play some video games with him this afternoon." I watched Derrick laugh. I knew he couldn't see why a grown man would have such a hang up on video games. I didn't know why either, but I've always loved video games and probably always would. I briefly saw myself as an 90 year old wrinkled up old man stooped over with a controller in my hand.

"In that case I've got something to show you. You got a minute for an old friend?" I nodded and he led the way. He wound a trail through the corridors and we entered a section that was previously off limits to me. I hadn't tried to get in, just passed the doors once and was curious as to what was behind them. The palm scanner had said I wasn't an authorized user but when Derrick placed his palm on the pad the red scanning light turned green and the door swished opened. We entered together and I heard the door close over a minute after we passed. I didn't bother to look back but assumed that the girls had followed us in. Apparently they had clearance here as well.

I followed him into a room and was amazed to see that same blond from this morning lying in the prone position with a strange looking rifle in her hands. Derrick approached and stood behind her and I did the same. The round that left the chamber hardly made a sound. More like a whistling noise than anything else. I watched the target and was surprised when a small hole appeared. The target barely moved as if the round went through it much to effortlessly. She did this two more times before she thumbed some sort of switch. The rifle whistled just a little louder this time as she pulled the trigger and the hole in the target was much larger but still created with ease.

I watched her flick that switch one last time but I noticed she skipped the next setting and went to the last. The rifle she held hummed as I remembered a camera flash did as it readied itself. Once the charge was complete she squeezed the trigger one last time. I watched as the target exploded on the spot. Smoke wafted into the air as bits and pieces of debris floated to the ground. I watched as the blond smoothly rose to her feet shouldering her rifle. She had a sly grin on her face. I noticed that Derrick had the same smile. I realized then that I'd been set up.

"So?" Derrick and the blond asked at the same time.

"OK, I'll think about it. Have them at the park at 5am," the blond nodded and Derrick smiled even bigger. I heard the group of women behind me whoop and cheer in excitement. That excitement would be short lived, I'll let them have their moment however. Looking to Derrick and then the blond, "Now then, would it be possible for me to blow up a target or two?"

Friday, November 8th

"So, how have they been?"

"They're doing fine Derrick. I'm not sure they'd be right for this though." The girls were running around the trail. Sweat dripped from their bodies in rivers and I could see several of them forcing their lungs to draw their next breath through shear will power alone. They'd ran 9 miles already and were on their last. Normally at this point training would really begin, unfortunately I was still filled with reservation.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.