Poison
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

(Jamie)

"It started a long time ago, I don't know how long, I lost track of the years a while ago. I was 10 at the time a happy little girl with a great family and nice life. Mum was a nursery school teacher, Dad worked for a building firm. We lived in a nice house in the village. My Mum had grown up there, and our grandparents lived near by, it was a nice place to live. Everyone knew everyone else. There was the tourist trade but mostly it was quiet.

"Growing up there were MORFS kids about, not many but a few. A few people had issues with MORFS survivors but mostly it was a friendly place to them. None of the family had been through MORFS we weren't Pures as such, just lucky I guess.

"I had never given it much thought, none of my friends had gone through it, and I was too young to really consider such things happening to me. The teacher at school had mentioned it a little, I guess to prepare us for when it might happen. But it was something that happened to bigger kids, so I didn't care about it.

"It was the school holidays at the time, so me and my sister Frankie were tearing round the house running our poor mother ragged. Frankie was a shy cute little brown-haired blue-eyed girl of 8 years old she still carried her favourite toy, Pinky Bear, around with her every where she went. I used to tease her about it. I was a blonde, blue-eyed older version of my sister feeling very grown-up and important being the oldest, I guess I was a bit bossy.

"We lived in a nice old four bedroom house with a big garden to play in. We were playing a game of tag when I first got ill, racing round the garden like maniacs. My yellow dress, clean that morning, was now covered in grass stains, and my knees were muddy. My sister, in a similar pink dress, (in similar condition), was clutching her beloved bear and running away from me squealing as I tried to catch her. Our long suffering mother was sitting on a lounger next to our grandparents, who were visiting, having just returned from taking us to the zoo a few miles away to give Mum a break."

"Slow down you two! One of you will trip and break your neck!" Mum shouted.

"Hopefully this will tire the two of them out, dear, and they will be quieter this afternoon," Grandma was telling her as I stopped to catch my breath...

"I wouldn't count on it, I don't know where they get the energy from," my mother said exasperatedly.

"They're young dear, you and your brother were just the same at that age," Grandma said wistfully.

"Hmmmph," snorted Mum, not convinced.

I resumed the chase, and, "Tag you're it!" I cried, finally managing to corner Frankie. She pouted, then lunged at me, trying to catch me off guard. I raced off, dodging her hand. We ran round and round the garden squealing with laughter.

"They're making me quite dizzy," said Grandma with a smile, then went on. "Come on dear let's have a nice cup of tea."

The three grown-ups moved inside as the two of us continued our mad dash around the garden.

I was just trying to clamber over part of a climbing frame Dad had put up for us when I felt funny. Suddenly dizzy, and sick. I slipped and tumbled to the ground.

As I staggered to my feet disorientated, Frankie raced in and tagged me, shouting with glee, "Tag you're it!" She ran off giggling.

I tried to move, but felt so ill I sat on the ground holding my tummy. Frankie had by now noticed I was not following, and was looking back at me, confused. She hesitantly took a few steps back towards me, wary that this was a trick to get her in tag range. But when I didn't leap up, she came closer.

"I don't feel good," I wailed rubbing my tummy.

Frankie put her thumb in her mouth, then clutched her bear, looking thoughtful before raced off, shouting, "Mummy, Jamie's sick!"

Suddenly I was throwing up on the grass next to me. I felt rotten and lay on the ground moaning.

Then I heard running feet running from the house. "I just knew all that running around would make one of them sick, especially after all the ice cream you probably fed them at the zoo," I heard my mother sigh.

"Mummy, I feel bad!" I cried.

The three adults reached where I was lying, with my sister following, hugging Pinky Bear and looking worried. Mum had a slightly annoyed but resigned look, like she thought this was my fault.

Grandma put a hand on my forehead. "Oh she's burning up Zoë," she said worriedly.

My mother's expression changed slightly, and she felt my forehead herself, starting to look worried. I had begun to shake slightly feeling more and more ill.

My Granddad, a tall bear of a man gently scooped me up in his arms, "Come on, Poppet." He turned his head, "Let's get her inside and cleaned up she must be coming down with something."

He carried me back to the house where I was cleaned up put in my favourite pyjamas and put into bed while mum talked to the doctor. They managed to arrange an appointment on short notice, but mum had some work to do later, and didn't have her own car. Luckily, Granddad agreed to take me over to the nearest doctor's on the other side of the forest in his car. Grandma would stay and look after Frankie while everyone else was off doing things.

Dressed up warm, and still feeling a bit ill, I was loaded into my granddad's ancient old car. A big clunky metal thing which looked nothing like modern cars. I waved weakly to Frankie, Mum, and Grandma as I left, not expecting to be gone long.

We took the short cut through the forest, a windy road over the hills which, though a bit more bumpy and treacherous in parts, was significantly quicker. Granddad drove this battered old car which was some sort of all terrain vehicle, except it had lots of rusty holes in it so it couldn't go in the water or your feet got wet. It had even once run on something called petrol, but had a conversion bolted on so that he could get fuel for it. Grandma was always complaining that it was a death-trap and that he should buy a new one, but he would chuckle then, say they didn't make classics like this any more.

We clattered through the forest quite quickly. The roads were a touch wet still after some quite heavy rains a few days before, so Granddad was taking it slightly easier than usual.

We reached the doctor's only a short while later and I sat in the waiting room feeling ill, staring at my feet, and trying not to be sick while we waited for the doctor to be free. I had with me my little backpack of things that I liked to have when going anywhere. It was a small rucksack that I had been given as a present by my dad, and I was very fond of it. I guess it was my Pinky Bear, my security blanket. I put my favourite book, toy, and some pictures in there and carried it with me whenever we went somewhere. Today I just clutched it in my arms, too unwell to read or play. Granddad put his arm round me, comforting me till my name was called.

The nice doctor greeted us as we walked in to his office, "Hello, Jamie, not feeling too well I hear," he said with a warm smile.

"No doctor," I replied weakly.

"Well let's see what's the matter, so we can get you right as rain in no time," he smiled.

Granddad told him my symptoms and he did a few things, checking my temperature and listening to me breathe and so on. He pulled out a small machine a white box with a little hole for a finger in it. He took out a little cartridge and slotted it into a slot on the side of the box under the finger hole.

"Because of her age and the symptoms I want to do a quick test of her blood," the doctor told Granddad, who just nodded. The doctor turned to me and said gently, "Now I want you to put your finger in here and it will prick you very slightly to take a sample of your blood for testing. It shouldn't hurt but you need to keep still. Do you think you can do that for me?"

I nodded a little nervously. I had never had this test before. I held out my finger and he put the box over it there was a sudden pain in my finger like a splinter or something. When the box made a bleep and the doctor pulled it away putting it to one side.

He put a colourful plaster on my finger and smiled at me, "There that wasn't so bad was it? And you didn't move at all. What a brave girl you are."

He went back to the box and pressed a few buttons on it and put it next to his tablet. He tapped away for a bit with various pretty patterns displaying on the screen.

When the doctor turned back to us, he looked serious, "The blood test shows she is entering the first stages of MORFS," said the doctor.

Granddad stiffened and looked a little shocked, but covered up quickly. I knew about MORFS. We had been told about it in school. It made you sick and did funny things to you. I was suddenly a bit scared, and gripped Granddad's hand tighter. The doctor reached into a drawer and pulled out a few booklets, handing one to me that was called John, Mary, and MORFS. It had lots of pretty pictures and cartoons on it as well as colouring in pictures and games to play. He handed the other to Granddad, and it didn't look anywhere near as fun. No pictures, and the title was different, lots of long words I didn't understand.

"Take a look through this information pack. It will explain what will happen over the next few days. It's not something to be worried about unnecessarily. Details of things to watch out for are in the guide. If you have any doubts or problems at all, please call me or go to your nearest hospital. I'm going to write Jamie a course of energy drinks formulated for younger children. She should find them easier to deal with than the other types, which can be a bit hard to swallow. The sedative is mixed in with the drink, so she doesn't need to take any separate pills, just drink one bottle a day when she wakes up. She will be out of things maybe a week, depending on the course things take. When she has finished, I would recommend taking her over to the nearest post-MORFS centre for a check up. It's a bit of a trip, but they can handle the after care better than we can. The phone number for the nearest post-MORF centre is printed in the back of the information pack." The Doctor turned to me, "Now Jamie, the reason you are sick is you have what is called MORFS. Do you know what that is?"

"It changes people," I said.

"Very good, it can change people. It doesn't always change people and even when it does often it's just a small change, hair or eye colour. I'm going to give you some medicine that will help your body get through the sickness. It's a special drink that will make you sleepy. You will probably be asleep for most of the next week, and you won't need to eat. The medicine contains all the stuff your body needs. Now during that time you may undergo some changes, but it is nothing to be worried about. Just try and keep happy and you'll be back on your feet in no time," he told me with a smile.

I did my best to return it, but was still feeling rotten, "The book explains more about MORFS and what to expect. Why don't you read it with mummy before you drink the first dose of medicine when you get home?"

I nodded. As I was putting the book into my back pack, the doctor was scribbling something on a pad which he tore off and handed to my granddad. "There you go. There is a pharmacy round the corner who should stock that. Goodbye now," he said, waving as Granddad led me out the door.

We returned to the car and Granddad drove to the pharmacy. There was a big queue, so I sat on a chair reading my book while we waited. It seemed a little babyish for me, but I guess it was the closest they had to my age.

"John and Mary are not well." The book started, showing a picture of a boy and a girl looking green and unhappy. I wondered if I looked green as well. I checked, looking in the mirror across from me and didn't seem to, though I did look pale, maybe I would turn green later.

"John and Mary go to the doctor." It showed the two of them with a grown up leading them to the doctor's.

"The doctor says, John and Mary have MORFS." The book showed the doctor pointing to a sign that said MORFS.

"John and Mary get special drinks to help them get better." It showed the girl and the boy carrying small crates of bottles.

"The drinks make John and Mary sleepy." It showed the two kids sleeping after drinking the drinks.

"While John and Mary get better they don't need food, as all they need is in their special drinks." It showed the two turning down food.

"As they sleep, John and Mary change." It showed a series of picture of the two kids waking up with different gradual changes. John seemed to resemble a kitty cat, with tail and ears. Mary got taller, and her hair turned blue.

"After a week, John and Mary feel better." It showed the two changed kids with happy smiles.

"John is now a cat hybrid, and Mary is a water elemental, which means John has a tail and cat ears and Mary can control water if she concentrates." It showed the two of them, showing their differences.

"Some people change when they get MORFS, and some gain strange abilities. You might change too. Try to be happy like John and Mary." Picture of the two of them beaming playing with a ball with other kids, all different, but with happy smiles.

The rest of the book was puzzles and things to do. I slipped it back in my backpack to wait. Granddad was at the counter now talking to the lady. After a short while he came over. I was expecting a huge crate of bottles like in the cartoon, but he had a small box of plastic bottles filled with a bright pink liquid.

"Right, then let's go home and get you tucked into bed, Poppet. Would you like to carry your medicine in your bag?" he asked.

I nodded enthusiastically, and he helped me put the box in my bag. We then walked out to the car and started on the journey home. I wasn't paying much attention on the way back, staring out at the trees as they whipped by. I could tell we were taking the same route back, as the slightly rough road bouncing us around didn't do anything for my upset tummy.

Suddenly my Granddad cried out and the car swerved wildly. There were large rocks in the road where the hill above had fallen down. I clung on for dear life as my Granddad tried to avoid the rocks. Granddad wrestled with the wheel as we skidded and slid, the car hit something and I cried out as we headed towards the edge of the road which fell off into a valley. I screamed as the edge got closer and the valley below spread out beneath us, all jagged rocks. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see it coming. Finally I felt the car stop I hesitantly opened my eyes to see the valley below right outside my door. The car had stopped right on the edge, the back hanging out over the drop next to me.

I looked forward to see steam and smoke pouring out of the engine.

"Granddad!" I cried terrified.

"Jamie it's alright stay still, all four of the wheels are on the road we'll be fine," he said in a tense voice. He tried to start the engine to move us forward but it was wrecked.

"OK, I want you to take off your seat belt and slide over to the other side. I'll come round and open the door," he said.

I tried to remain calm, I was a big girl. I could do this. I took off my belt and slid over. clutching my bag. slipping my arms though the straps to carry it on my front. I knew the doors wouldn't open, as they had child locks on them, so I sat impatiently for Granddad to open the door.

He opened his door and carefully climbed out. Because of the angle of the car he could get out, but my side opened out onto the edge. Granddad walked briskly round to my side of the car, not running, but not far off...

There was a cracking noise and the car shifted. Granddad ran to the door just as the road under the back tires gave way. I watched his horrified face as the car tumbled over the edge with me inside it.

The next few moments were awful. I was flung around like I was in a washing machine as the car tumbled. I was struck painfully against the seats and the door, I heard breaking glass and eventually I must have been thrown clear, falling through space into a hole in the ground, landing with a sickening crunch. I lost consciousness briefly, resurfacing in time to hear a violent explosion. New cars were designed to be very hard to explode, but granddad's old converted car was far less robust. I looked up to see the small hole I had probably fallen down filling with rocks loosened by the car falling. Soon the light was gone and I passed out from the pain.

I woke up cold and in agony in the dark. I cried out in pain and for help, but no one called back, I was buried down here. I tried to move and stabbing pain lanced through me as I shifted my leg. I reached around in the dark, my hand brushing some sort of fabric. I felt along to find my backpack, I remembered clinging to it as I was bashed around in the car. It must have fallen with me into this hole. It felt intact, so I began rummaging inside eventually finding what I was looking for, a small wind-up torch I had gotten one Christmas. I turned it on and was momentarily blinded by the light. Once my eyes adjusted I saw I was in a small cave in the rock. I couldn't see any way out. The rock fall had sealed me in.

I lowered my torch to look at my legs, which were both bent at funny angles and hurt a lot. I knew I needed help. With my legs not working there was no way I would be able to get out of here.

I began shouting for help again, shouting till my throat hurt. When I couldn't shout anymore I lay there, listening for the sounds of people coming to help me, but there was nothing. I cried for a while, whimpering in the dark, wanting my Mummy and Daddy.

Exhausted, in pain, hungry, and still feeling ill I passed out again. That happened several times, I would wake up, start shouting, crying, wear myself out, and pass out each time getting more desperate.

Goodness knows how long I went on like that hoping someone would hear me. My hunger was getting worse and worse, and my body was losing energy quickly. It was getting so bad the hunger hurt worse than my legs, like my stomach was gnawing on my insides. I looked through my stuff for something to eat coming across the pack of MORFS medicine. I remembered the comic saying you didn't need food when you drank it. Maybe if I drank the drink it would satisfy my horrible hunger.

I scrambled around in the bag, pulling out the box of bottles of medicine, thankful they had survived the fall intact. I opened the package and took one bottle out.

Examining it with my torch, it said "Warning keep out of reach of children, use only as directed by a doctor, do not consume more than one dose per day." and lots of other long words.

The bottle had a strange cap on it to prevent people getting into it, I remembered seeing my parents struggle with these things before. I examined it and managed to get the thing open quite quickly, I wondered why Mummy and Daddy had so much difficulty, since I had got it open easily.

I sniffed the pink liquid hesitantly, it smelled a bit like strawberries, but with an odd bitter undertone.

I sipped a bit, it was weird. Too sweet, strawberry flavour at first, then a harsh bitter taste I associated with medicine.

I steeled my self and drank the rest down. "Bleargh!" I exclaimed on finishing. It was pretty revolting stuff, if anything, the strawberry flavouring made it worse. Still, it filled my aching tummy a little, for which I could suffer the bad taste.

I began to feel very sleepy, I was soon barely able to keep my eyes open. I fought it, knowing it would be better to stay awake so I could continue to call for help, but whatever was in the medicine made me too tired, and I dozed off.

When I came to I was hungry again. I felt a bit odd, and my skin itched horribly. The pain in my legs was getting worse. I wound up my torch and had a look. My legs were covered in bruises and swollen now. I worried that they would fall off or something and I would have to have false legs like the one legged Mr Materson down the street, who all the children called Pegleg. I would be called Peglegs then, and not able to run or play or anything. Still, it would be better to get out of this cold cave minus some legs than to die here alone. I began crying and wailing for my Mummy and Daddy, even Frankie who I was missing terribly. After a while my grumbling tummy reminded me I was very hungry and thirsty, so I drank the next bottle of medicine and passed out.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.