An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 31

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

A car was driving down the gravel road towards the inn. The men I was with noticed it was a squad car and bristled. I noticed it was a local police car and held my arm out for them to wait. The car pulled up and I saw that Deputy Scruggs was driving and he was not wearing his uniform. He stopped the squad car and said, "Look at me here without my gun. Why, anybody with a gun could tell me to drive them to the beach, and I would have to. Is not life strange like that sometimes." I grinned at Deputy Scruggs and motioned for the three Home boys to get in. They looked at me like I was goofy, but got in. I held open the passenger door while Sarah scooted in beside Scruggs. I got in, closed the door and in my best 'Park Avenue' voice told Scruggs to head for the beach.

Scruggs dropped us on at the beginning of the beach road. He told me, "Stay down and give those Nazis what-for!" I saluted him and he drove away. He could not officially help, but his help was most welcome and timely too.

I led everyone up to the observation post on the bluff. One of the Home boys watching reported to me. "They ar almost dun. That ofay Marks in on da boat. There ar sum German bell bottoms. but they watchin' the sea. I wanted to wait for Marks to come back in the boat that had just left the beach. The fates changed my plan by having one of the brown shirts catch a glimpse of us on the bluff above the beach. He started yelling and tried to drill us with his rod. Here is something to remember, never bring a heater to a chopper fight.

I told the Home boys, "Go ahead start throwing some metal at em!" All the brown shirts on land were chilled off and the truck was on fire. The boat was sinking too, the plugs and boat having way too many holes in them. "Fire at the U-boat! I yelled. The metal rain from the Tommy guns made quick corpses out of the German bell bottoms, but the lead lugs just bounced off the iron skinned U-boat. I mumbled, "I wish there was something we could do to that U-boat. I felt a tug on my sleeve and then a smiling Toby handed me the block of TNT with a bottle of Nitro wired to it. I took the package carefully and I made my way down to the beach. As I waded into the ocean I heard an AHOOGA horn sounding off in the submarine. The water was still cold, it was only May. I took the wire in my teeth and swam over hand towards the sub. I prayed that the Nitro would not go off. If it did I would need more than a dentist to put me back together.

I reached the U-boat as it was sinking beneath the waves. I wired the explosives to the railing and swam away as fast as I could. The U-boat continued to move away and was soon under the water except for the periscope. There was no great explosion, apparently the Nitro hadn't went off. I knew that the TNT would not go off by itself. I swam back to the beach, thinking that, well it was worth a try.

The Home boys were starting to get nervous so I said, "Go ahead and take the tin can. Sarah and I will be alright. We have pictures now, so the FBI can't say there was nothing here. I was really glad to have you men along, we could not have stopped the Fascists if not for you." They gave me shy smiles and walked away down the road.


Sarah and I just sat on the sand watching the periscope get further and further away. "I just wish we had gotten Marks, we owed him. Sarah nodded then laid her head on my shoulder. The periscope started to go under the water, soon we could not see it. I said, :Look, she is gonna make it home."

Suddenly a spout of water flew into the air near where we had last seen the U-boat. " ... or maybe not." I led a smiling Sarah up the farm road complimenting her on her choice of cosmetics.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.