An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

The sun was shining down on me, waking me up with its welcome, yet oppressive heat. I was a bit hungry so I decided to have some cheese to ease my rumbling stomach. The heat from the sun had melted part of it in my pocket. I forced myself to eat it, trying not to think too much about the smell. I decided to take a bite of sausage to kill the flavor that hung around my mouth and pallet. Dang if that snake had not gloumed off with one of my sausages! I ended up eating the entire remaining sausage. Then I touched up my shoe box disguise. I added a little bit of mud to make it look more real.

I could not hear much beside the soft ocean breeze, so I popped up to see if the coast was clear. Actually the coast was a few miles away, but you know what I mean. Not seeing anyone, I decided to sneak out of the reeds. I thought that it might be around lunch time, so I might see who was normally here during the day.

There were no brown shirts in uniform, just a bunch of townies having a beer with lunch. The only uniform I did see was Deputy Scrugg's. I did not know if he was here looking around or just having lunch. I reasoned that he was looking around because he was not drinking a beer. This was reinforced when I noticed the glass of milk in front of him.

Pulling back from the outdoor dining area, I carefully sneaked around until I was hidden in the bushes under the kitchen window. I was just sitting there minding my own business when some gee dumped a bucket of water out the window and all over me! They must have used the water to mop the floor because the water was a mixture of dirt, soap and God knows what. I managed not to sputter, because my mouth had been open and the taste was worse than the cheese had been. Give me an all night stake-out in a hash house with old coffee and greasy food any day! And I was in the shade of the building, so the sun would not help to dry me off.

I managed to inch myself through the bushes to be close to the open office window. The voices inside were low and in German, but I had been brushing up on my German to piece together what they were saying. "Das Unterseeboot kommt auf Samstag Nacht an. Stellen Sie sicher, daß die Feuerwerke bereit sind. Da üblich wir weg von den Feuerwerken einstellen, um alle Leute Aufmerksamkeit zu erregen." Ok, I did not exactly know what they were saying but four words stuck in my mind. Unterseeboot, Samstag, Nacht, and feuerwerken. An under sea boat, Saturday night and fireworks. I did not know what the fireworks were for, but at least they would not come as a surprise. I debated with myself whether to leave now or go back on the truck this afternoon.

I decided to stay, but after I heard the Manager arguing with the cook about missing sausages, I decided not to steal anymore food from the inn. Wet, tired and hungry, I sneaked out of the bushes by the inn and went back to wait for night by returning to hide in the weeds.

I about jumped out of my skin when Deputy Scruggs crept up behind me and asked in a menacing voice, "What do you think you are doing skulking around my town, boy?" I kept my upper body low to the ground and mumbled something about being lost. "Lost? I'd say you were lost, you're in a different county, never mind not in the land o' darkness. Don't be surprised, jig, I know your jazz. I'll ask you again, boy. Why are you on my island?"

I pointed over my shoulder toward the farm and said, "Jus workin' the fahm masser. Eye got lost, masser. Don't beat this ol' jig, just show me the way and eye go fast. N'va come here agin.

I thought I was pretty convincing and almost home free. The manager of the inn saw us and came over. "What is this darkie doing on my camp deputy? I think he is a subversive, trying to do something against us peaceful white folk. As a matter of fact, we had some food stolen from the inn last night." He grabbed my pocket, the one with the cheese residue in it, and ripped it off. "See deputy, he was the thief! I demand you arrest him and get him off my camp!"

Deputy Scruggs grabbed me by the collar and elbow and frog-marched me to his squad car and threw me in the back. I knew this was it; I'd never see Sarah again. She'd end up as one of Mr. Blue's dames. And I'd be making small rocks out of big rocks, unless I got the electric cure. He had not radioed in to the clubhouse yet, maybe I could still get away

The squad car drove out the gate and then pulled off onto the side of the road once it was around the corner. Deputy Scruggs turned around, looked at me hard and said, "What makes you think I would not recognize you Malone? That's a God awful disguise. I know you didn't murder some broad in cold blood. Tell me what is going on and don't lie."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.