An Unsettled Calm - Cover

An Unsettled Calm

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Chapter 23

Watching Lefty walk away into the bus station I figured I'd never lay blinders on him again. The day had gone well and it was almost time for dinner. I thought we deserved a nice dinner out for a change. I steered the flivver towards 61st street and Pierre's. The Maitre d' was happy to seat us, he recognized us as guests of Don Guido from the night before. We were enjoying a hearty meal when the waiter brought up a blower. "Call for you, important sir." I answered the blower.

It was Lou. 'Malone, you've got to get out of there. Why did you plug the broad anyway, that wasn't smart. Don Guido said that the heat is on and the joint you were at ain't safe no more. The flivver may still be jake, he didn't know. Good luck gum-shoe, you'd better go on the lam, you are in dutch big time. And take care of that skirt, she's a keeper." The next thing I heard was the click as he hung up.

Sarah had been giving the documents from the box the up and down. It turns out that she could read German. Sarah was all excited, she was holding some of the papers under my nose and saying that she had found something important. All I knew was that we had to scram. I braced Sarah, tossed some cabbage on the table and we breezed out of there.

I took off out of the parking lot leaving tire marks to show where I had dangled from. Sarah was trying to give me the low down on what she had found, but right now the important lay was to get out of sight and lie low. I turned on the radio to see if I could hear something about us on the ether.

Breaking news about the house burglary in Northern New Jersey today. The thieves stole an unknown amount of cash from a safe in the house of the brother to the Deputy Chief Jones, of the New York City police department. What makes this crime especially heinous, is the fact that the robbers shot Miss Heidi Strumn, a cousin of the chief in cold blood!

The criminals involved have been identified as Mr. Stan Malone and Miss Sarah Goldman. Citizens are warned that they are armed and dangerous. They should not be approached, just call the police. And stay tuned to this station for further developments on the case.

"Well, we are for it now. All of the bridges are gonna be watched and the bulls will be out to cop us, but more likely will be gunning for us. See, it'll save the city the cost of a trial and will bring justice for Miss Strumn."

"But we didn't kill her. And what I've found exposes a great Nazi conspiracy here in New York. The FBI will help us we just have to hide out until tomorrow morning when the office opens. I can then call them and get this all straightened out."

"Maybe, but we still have to make it through the night." I racked my brain for an out. Finally, I found it. "I know a gee that has an old speakeasy on the south side. He can put us up for the night."


Trying to sleep was not going to happen. Not with Sarah saying "Wow!" and "Oh my God!" as she read the documents from the safe. I knew we were in dutch, I just hoped the papers could make everything jake.

Sarah finally finished reading the documents and came up to where I was sitting in the former speak easy. "Stan what we have found is big! It is so important that we could be Bonnie and Clyde and still get off. We are not just looking at the rise of Fascism in America, we are not just looking at sabotage of our industries, what we have here are the plans to get a Nazi foothold in America, in New York itself!"

Sarah was very excited about this, I thought I should bring her back down to reality some. "Sarah we are safe crackers and murderers, at least according to the coppers. They will probably shoot first and ask questions later. What we've come up with doesn't matter, unless we get it to a high pillow where it matters."

Stan, what we have is the plans, and very good plans too, to make Long Island into a defensible part of the Nazi powers. They have and are importing weapons and are training the people, the German-American Bund, to wield them. I don't mean a few rifles and shotguns, I'm talking about submachine guns, light field artillery, and more. They currently have at least two submarines bringing shipment in from Europe. Later on, those submarines will support the land forces. They are just waiting for the right time to strike.

Tomorrow I can call the FBI and let them know about this. They can shield us from the police and round up the spies. We have a duty to our country to stop the Fascists!

I held up my hands in surrender. "All right, you win. Can we at least bunk before tomorrow?"

Sarah giggled and sat on my lap. This was a different Sarah than I had seen. We swapped honey coolers and the night went on from there. Next time I'm hiding from the coppers, I just have to make sure I have Sarah along.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.