An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

The silence over the blower suddenly turned menacing. Not one to lam out on a fight, even one over the phone, I let him know how I was feeling. Well, so much for a friend for life. Listen Guido, you can choose who you want to side with, but you had better watch out who you decide to bunk with. I'm not gonna forget that you sent your chopper squad over to pay a visit after your guy Branch found out where I would be." He started to say something, but I cut him off. "I have to take my landlady to the hospital now and you had better pray that she pulls through. Don't let me catch you in any dark alleys." I hung up the blower. I was done talking to Don Guido and I needed to get Mrs. O'Grady to the hospital.

Sarah and I were in the waiting room after we got Mrs. O'Grady to the hospital. I had told Mrs. Brock that Charlie and Joe would need some place to stay and that I was taking Mrs. O'Grady to the hospital. She had assured me that she would let them know and that she would pray over Mrs. O'.

That settled, Sarah and I needed to make plans. "We can stay in my apartment Stan, but if this plot goes up into the FBI, that would not be a good hide-out."

The situation looked bleak. "Yeah babe, and we still need to find a safe man too. Not just any can-opener, but a good one." I spotted one of Don Guido's goons over by the entrance. I gave Sarah the high sign and put my hand on my heater. I did not want either of us to start spitting metal in the waiting room with all those innocent plugs inside. Sarah and I got up keeping our eye on Don Guido's gee. He was looking for us, checking all of the mugs. We managed to get to the door before he saw us. He headed towards us. I saw Don Guido's 1936 Packard Super 8 Touring car sitting near the door with another of his goons standing next to it. I said, "Well, this is it Sarah. It looks like we are gonna have to burn powder to get out of here. Let's end this now! I'm tired of my friends being hurt, instead we'll take the fight to them!" I fisted my roscoe and headed out the door.

The goon outside started towards me as I came out the door. When he saw my roscoe, he started waving his hands at me telling me not to shoot. I almost plugged him because of what his buddies did to Mrs. O'Grady and her house, but I am just a little bit better than that. I don't drill anybody in cold blood.

The back door to the Packard opened and Don Guido stepped out. "Stan, you and I have to talk before the streets start to run with our blood. My boys did not ventilate the boarding house. Somebody set you up, so holster your rod and come let's talk like gentlemen." He pointed behind me, "Besides your kitten is much too cute to be fighting in the streets." Sarah had pulled her rod and followed me to the parking lot. I was so proud of this woman!

Don Guido's wheel man held the door for us as we all got in. The goon that had been looking for us came up to the window huffing and puffing. He was about to tell the Don that he had lost us, when he saw Sarah waving at him from inside the car. The Don had more instructions for him, "Go inside and find out how Mrs. O'Grady is. Tell the hospital to put her into a private room and to send all the bills to me. Now hurry!"

I joked with Don Guido, "He's been getting too much linguini and wine, Don. You had better cut him off before he hurts himself."

The Don laughed at what I had said. "Yes, he is getting a little round to do the job. That was one good thing about prohibition; it kept everybody on their toes. Now in this time of peace, they all get soft, eh." His expression darkened and he turned serious, "As for the chopper squad bringing you a present, you have Branch to thank for that. He has been making the wrong friends. He was not happy with me deciding not to get involved with hop and was getting cozy with Mr. Blue. Mr. Blue will sell drugs and Branch heard the ding-a-ling of all the kale he thought he was missing out on. He fingered you to Mr. Blue and Blue sent his goons around. You know I owe you for Tony Jr. and I never forget my debts."

He looked at Sarah and told how his son had been rescued. He made a big deal out of it, where I had not boasted of my role in the event. You see somebody in trouble you help! "You don't know what my Tony is doing now, do ya Stan?" Stan shook his head 'no'. "He is a doctor out in California. He does plastic surgery for all those Hollywood stars. He says that he makes more money than I do, but I don't know 'bout that. He would like to see you some day, after we get our business over with."

"Speaking of business, that's why I was wanting to talk to you. I need a gee for a box job. not a can-opener, but a really keen operator. You see it's one of them new safes, it's very well made, it might need a peterman. Also, after today we need a place to hide-out and could probably use a new tin can too."

Don Guido was quiet as he thought for a moment. "I can take care of all your problems, well at least the few you mentioned." He laughed at his cleverness. "I've got the perfect joint for you to stay low. It's in the garment district. No one will think to look for you there. And there is an ameche down the hall. It's a pay phone, but I have somebody that answers it.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.