An Unsettled Calm - Cover

An Unsettled Calm

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Chapter 18

The Justice Department building in New York City looked daunting, but I was ready to get my life back. I got some strange looks as I walked the halls of justice looking for the FBI office. My shoes might not match and my clothes might be old, dirty and worn, but I held my head up high as I walked. I may have looked like a bum, but I was a proud bum. I finally found the FBI office on the second floor in the back. The secretary, a dame with a doggy look about her, was startled when she saw me. "M-m-may ... may I help you?"

I whispered to her as I leaned close, "I'm working in disguise for the FBI. I'm here to see agent Joe College." She started to tell me that there was no agent by that name working there, but I interrupted her with a loud, "Shhhhhhhh. It's his code name, he is a younger man with brown hair and spectacles." I sat down in the chair in front of her desk, "I'll just wait right here. She got up and hurried further in to the FBI offices.

About as fast as she left, she came back with agent 'Joe College' following her. "There", she said pointing at me, "he just came in and sat down." The poor doll looked like she was going to break down in tears. The agent just grabbed me by the arm and dragged me where he had come from. He pulled me into another office. He looked like he was about to blow a gasket.

He was pointing his finger at me saying, "What are you doing here? You are supposed to be hiding out in that flop house in the Bowery. I cannot guarantee your safety if you won't stay hidden."

I sat in the chair facing his desk. "You haven't found Marks yet, have you?" He shook his head 'no'. "I walked all over this city and I didn't find him either. Do you know why I couldn't find him in the Apple?" He again shook his head 'no'. "It's because he is across the river in Jersey and I know where! I want my life back! My life, my office, my clothes, my car, my landlady, everything!" He started to hem and haw, but I wasn't backing down. I demanded that he get me my clothes and give me a ride to my home.

"I'm gonna get this Marks for you, but in my own way. Is Agent Goldman still at the house?" He nodded 'yes'. "I don't know what you had her doing, but she is back to working with me now. He nodded his head again and got my bag of clothes out of a locker. As I changed clothes, I said, "What about my wallet, keys and money?" He pulled them out of his desk and handed them to me. I almost felt like my old self again. All I needed was a hot bath and some delousing.


After Agent 'Joe College' (Fitzgerald) dropped me off at Mrs. O'Grady's house, I stood outside for awhile. What would she do? I did not want to scare the old broad to death. Would it be easier if I called her first? I shook myself and knocked on the door. I had just been putting off what had to be done. Everything would be alright.

The door opened to Mrs. O'Grady's back. She was speaking loudly to someone in another room. Mrs. O'Grady turned around and gasped as she saw it was me at the door. She suddenly hugged me exclaiming, "Stanley!" Then she let go and went back in the house. I was left standing on the stoop, bewildered.

Sarah appeared from the living room and hugged me tight. Then she wrinkled her nose and said, "You need a bath!" She let me go and retreated into the house just as Mrs. O'Grady rounded the corner with her broom.

She was hitting me with the broom, hard! She kept repeating, "You ... you ... you reprobate!" She would hit me twice with the broom, call me a reprobate, then go back to the bashing with the broom. She finally broke down in tears and ran back into the house. I waited a moment to shake off the broom attack. Then I followed her into the house.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.