An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

It was cold in the car without our coats. I parked the car in the alley next to Mrs. O'Grady's house. Sarah and I hurried to get into the house. The wind tore through us, especially Sarah, that dress did not cover her much at all. I let us in with my key Mrs. O'Grady had given me for the front door just in case. I ushered Sarah into the warmth of the house. She was violently shivering, I didn't know if it was from the cold or from being taken for a ride.

Mrs. O'Grady fussed over Sarah then poured us some coffee. I caught Mama's eye and asked for the hooch. I poured a slug into each of the coffees. We could sure use it after tonight. Mrs. O'Grady saw that Sarah was upset, so she held her hand and talked softly to her. Sarah trembled as I told Mrs. O what had almost happened to us, she tutt-tutted over our story.

Sarah had finished her coffee and lay her head down on her crossed arms. The night had really taken its toll on her. "Take her up to the empty bedroom." I gave her an unbelieving look. She hastened to explain herself. "I know I only take gentlemen borders, but she has had a terrible evening." I carried Sarah upstairs and laid her on the bed. Mrs. O'Grady shooed me out of the room and I went to my bed. I needed to bunk.

A scream awoke me from a sound sleep the next morning. I threw on my robe and hurried down the stairs. The Western Union man, actually a teenage boy, had Mrs. O'Grady passed out in his arms. She was holding onto an opened telegram. I took her from his arms, thanked him and laid her on the couch. The poor boy was so flustered, he forgot his tip.

I was patting Mama O'Grady's hand when Sarah came down the stairs. She had an old robe over her slip and was a pip. She took over with Mrs. O'Grady and sent me into the kitchen for coffee. By the time I had returned with the coffee, Mama O' was sitting up and was softly sobbing on Sarah's shoulder. I set the cups down on the coffee table and Sarah handed me the telegram. It read:

We regret to announce that T. O'Grady was killed in action on 27th day of February 1937, while serving with the Abraham Lincoln Battalion of the 15th International Brigade at Jarama, Spain. His loss is mourned by all heroic anti-fascist fighters serving with the International Brigades in Spain.

I was saddened by reading this. Mrs. O'Grady's husband and other two sons were out west working on the Boulder Dam project. They had been there since '33 and were kept on to maintain the dam. She really missed them and Tom's death had magnified her loneliness.

Sarah had to phone in and report what had happened last night. I took over watching Mrs. O'Grady and Sarah went to get dressed and call the FBI. I heard some heated discussion from Sarah, but I didn't try to listen. I knew she would look out for our interests. Wow! I was already saying our and we had only went on one date, and that had not ended well.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.