An Unsettled Calm - Cover

An Unsettled Calm

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

Chapter 9

Stealing the horse and being able to ride it were two different things. Mabel knew that she had come to the end of her job for the day and she was looking forward to a good rub-down and some oats. She did not expect some stranger to unhook her from the trolley, jump onto her back and urge her to run with his heels drumming into her sides. Mabel had never been ridden in her life, she was a draft horse. Also she was used to slow and steady. As a result she bolted and tried to get me off her back!

Ever try to get an animal to do something, and have it do too much? When Mabel bolted, I almost fell off. There was no saddle, stirrups or even reins. I was at the mercy of this gentle-giant I had rudely awakened. All I could do was hang onto her neck for dear life. Actually, it was probably good that Mabel bolted. I could hear the conductor cursing and screaming at me to bring his horse back.

Mabel realized that she was tired and slowed to a trot. It was easier to stay on, but my backside was paying the price. I tried to steer Mabel and it somewhat worked, I guess. Hey, I wasn't the Lone Ranger; I didn't know what the horse was thinking. Marks' car was still in sight and I wasn't getting too close. It would be hard to be on the sly riding a horse. I didn't want Marks or his mob fingering me.

We finally got out of the city and Mabel tried to stop and eat some grass. That was all I needed, riding a bent horse and losing Marks because the horse was hungry. I could tell that Mabel was getting tired. Luckily for me and her, Marks' Model A turned off the main road. The car had turned onto a well maintained gravel road. I kept Mabel back as well as I could, basically that meant not urging her on. The Model A soon went past a sign that read, "Camp Siegfried" and some other words in German. I did not read or speak German, but everyone in the world knew the name Hitler.

Mabel was adamant, she was not moving from this spot. I decided it was time to continue on foot. Actually, I didn't blame Mabel for not wanting to go in there, the place was spooky! I groaned as I got off of Mabel, I may never sit down comfortably again. I had used muscles that I didn't even know I had. Marks' Ford drove a lot slower here, but I had to shake a leg to pipe it. This place was supposed to be a summer camp, but when I saw the street sign that read, "Adolph Hitler Street" I knew that this wasn't like any summer camp I had heard of.

Did they sneak part of Fascist Germany onto Long Island while I was asleep, while everyone had been asleep? I hadn't been paying too much attention to the news on the ether. That was Europe and not our problem. I mean I only followed the news from Spain, because Mrs. O'Grady's son Tom was in the Army there. I suddenly thought I should be more concerned about Germany than I thought.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.