An Unsettled Calm
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2007 by msboy8

For the next few days I followed Marks, being careful not to be seen. I needed to get the low down on Marks for my client. Just the fact that he was pitching woo with this broad might be enough for Miss Sykes, but I wanted to go the distance for her and put the finger on this dame. I found out she was a blonde, about 5' 2" tall, wore fur and was always togged to the bricks.

I swapped heaps with the Joe at the service station, so Marks and his hatchetmen wouldn't crab to my watching them. This was a step up in the tin can department, ring-a-ding-ding, it had a radio! Now I could keep up on the news on the ether.

In the news today, Germany and Italy rejected the Anglo French proposal for control of admission of foreign volunteers to fight in Spain. They felt that this would limit the volunteer troops sent to Spain and even force a recall of said troops.

All of this peeping on Marks and his babe finally bore fruit. I thought I recognized the sweet patootie that he was parading around town. They had just gone in to the Onyx club. I parked the car and went into the club. John Kirby and his sextet were opening that night and the place was packed! I did not see Marks or his flame so I cautiously made my way around the room. I wasn't that careful though, because I heard a familiar voice say, "Stan, fancy meeting you here. Richard was just asking about you."

I slowly turned around to see that face I knew so well, it was Laurel! The sweet twist of the café society that had ripped my heart out. I knew the look on her kisser too well, she was now gonna stomp on it! I tried to look like everything was cool, but her being with Marks really blew my wig, and not in a good way. Marks just stared at me with his icy blue eyes and a twisted smile on his mug. He had the bulge and he knew it.

His voice was like gravel in a cement mixer. "I know you've been spying on me and I want you to put the kibosh on it or I will, and you won't enjoy how I do it. If this is because of Laurel, get wise. She doesn't want to be with you, she wants to be with me. You are nothing; I could buy you a hundred times over and only have to fork over some tin. What do you say to that?"

"I say that you are welcome to her. Watch out or she'll have you working for her daddy's company. As for watching you, I've got the low down that my client needs. On the flip side, you have made me curious, so I think I'll keep my lamps on you. Something is not kosher about you and I'm gonna find out what it is."

I thought I'd handled myself well and I strutted out of that club with my head held high. For a moment I thought about Laurel and that she had bitten off more than she could chew. She was a big girl and knew the score. I knew that she'd come up smelling like a rose, if there was any trouble.

I should have been watching out as I went to the car, instead of thinking about Laurel, because the next thing I knew my head exploded and I sank into darkness.


I awoke with my head throbbing and felt a draft that caused me to shiver. I opened my eyes to find a pip of a nurse giving me a sponge bath. When she realized that I was awake, her face lit up like a traffic signal. The blush on her fair skin made her cute as a bug's ear. She covered me up with a sheet and ran out to get the doctor. He was happy that I was now awake, and checked me out. It turns out that I had been out for three days and he wasn't sure that I would ever wake up. The croaker wanted me to flop a couple more days in the hospital before I could go back to Mrs. O'Grady's.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.