Dagger Of Kija - Cover

Dagger Of Kija

Copyright© 2003-06-09

Chapter 6

With that, they all said their goodbyes. Greyshadow left them one more bit of advice. "Kija's human guards are likely in disarray," she instructed. "But those cavern-bred ones... be careful."

The group watched silently as Greyshadow slipped away into Kija's citadel, then turned back to make plans for themselves.

"Kija's gone!" Pyran yelled.

The chains were there, where Tomas and Kija had been lying on the floor of the arena, but there was no sign of either Nangen.

"Since when has there been a door behind the throne?" Wildhair asked, pointing to a doorway left open. "They were in a hurry, it seems."

Master Do, Hanna snatched up her pack and strapped on her sword, readying for a quick departure.

"Where are you going, Master?" Gareth asked, dreading the answer.

"After Tomas, of course," Hanna answered, finishing her packing. "It was my fault he escaped and now he is off to cause more mischief. He will receive no mercy this time."

"Wait up, dearie." The ancient Shaman had collected her things and hustled up next to Hanna at a speed that belied her age. "I am going with you. Want to bet I still remember how to keep a warrior alive? And if not... I know the resurrection spell!"

Elder Wildhair threw her pack on her back and joined the two. "If you are going to chase Tomas," she explained, "Then I will hunt down Kija. He is a mad dog and very dangerous. Besides, he ruined my dress when he put me in chains!"

Gareth raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth to say something, then shook his head and remained silent.

"Good luck to you." Pteri said quietly, still clutching the Dagger. "I would go with you, but somehow we must find a way to destroy this weapon or sooner or later it will all happen again."

Pteri got a quick hug from the two Shamans; with a nod from Hanna, the three were off.

"Now what, dear?" Pteri asked her husband. "I think it is safe to use magic now, but the only way to reverse the effects of this dagger completely is to destroy it. Any ideas?"

Instead of answering, Gareth walked over to the edge of the arena where a slightly bloody, though still shiny weapon lay. He picked it up, inspected it briefly and stuck it frugally into his pack.

"Too bad," he said, with real grief in his voice. "If this blade ceases to exist when we destroy the Dagger, it will be a great loss. I could easily remove the pommel nut, knock off that shiny hilt and substitute one of, say, twisted silver wire over ivory? That would solve the slippery problem."

Pyran didn't seem to be listening, "How about that Greyshadow?" he said, with a bemused smile. "She is going to be dedicating herself to making Nagnang a better place. I wish I had something as noble to do with my life."

Gareth smiled patiently at the young man. "So many noble causes, so little time?" he chided gently, then frowned. "Wait a minute... that gives me an idea. We need to get that dagger back to Kugnae right away."

Pteri climbed slowly to her feet again. "I hope you have a plan dear. Somehow I think destroying a God-made artifact will require more than Smith Beard's forge."

Gareth nodded, leading them to the main door of the arena. "Let's be stealthy," he instructed. "But if we are spotted, run like crazy to that gate!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.