In The King's Army
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Dev's stay in Elvenholme was short. After all, he was there on a mission, not to visit. The queen had taken his message and disappeared with it. The prince, Rufio, and a few other elves were always together it seemed.

Dev understood Rufio spending time with his old friend and blood brother and didn't begrudge him the time. While his grandfather was occupied, Dev wandered around the incredible living palace.

There was an indoor bathing pool that had water which was heated by magic and there was a spout in one wall where fresh water fell, constantly replacing what was in the pool. Dev could not discover how the balance was maintained to keep the pool full, yet never overflowing and always warm.

He also discovered that the elves had a stable behind the palace. The horses were magnificent and were all of a type he was unfamiliar with. Dev was stroking the nose of one horse while trying to figure out what breed it was closest too.

Dev noted that the stables were not grown from a tree, but were built of stone. The roof was some sort of slate. Apparently elves did use 'dead' timber in construction after all, just not often.

Dev asked a groom what breed these horses were and he replied with a word that Dev didn't know. He made a mental note to ask his grandfather what it meant, later. As Dev was getting hungry and the sun was setting, he returned to the palace for the evening meal.

While elves did eat some meat, it was rarely served in the palace. Yet Dev did not feel

as if he was missing it. A lot of meals did include fish though, and while Dev liked fish, it was getting to be a bit much having it so frequently.

Dev wondered how long it would take the queen to make a decision on what the king sent her. It had been days now, and still there was no word. Dev sought out his grandfather for information.

Dev caught up to him in the stables as Rufio and the prince were getting ready to go fly some falcons.

"Grandfather, could you ask your friend how much longer it will take the queen to make a decision? I want to get started back to Taslon as soon as possible," Dev stated.

His grandfather looked at him closely for a moment.

"You're bored, aren't you? We could get you a horse, and you can come with us if you wish," Rufio replied.

"Flying birds is not interesting to me. Say grandfather, just what kind of horses are these anyway? I asked a groom, and he replied with a word I didn't understand. He said, Lethlemoth," Dev said a bit hesitantly over the word.

"It is actually more a description than a breed. It means light bringer. In a very real sense these horses can bring light into the darkest places. They are magical in nature and have been associated with the elves for thousands of years," Rufio explained.


The next day Dev was summoned to an apartment in the east wing of the palace. He found himself in a pleasant room. It was full of very old armor and weapons, that were mounted on the walls and standing in the corners.

"Some of these items are over five thousand years old," a voice behind Dev said.

Dev turned and saw the queen. He dropped to his right knee.

"Your majesty," Dev said and bowed his head.

"Rise. Now then young man, I have considered very carefully and with much soul searching how to respond to your king. It was a very hard decision to reach but a decision has been made," the queen stated solemnly.

"Yes your majesty?" Dev asked, almost holding his breath.

"My answer is contained within this letter. However, I will tell you what I am telling him. I will allow one, just one human to come and act as ambassador to the elves from the humans.

"I have taken the liberty of suggesting you, as you seem polite, get along well with everyone, and I like you," the queen said with a smile.

Dev's mouth dropped open in shock. This was definitely something he had not been expecting.

"But your majesty! I am to young for such a post! Surely an older..." Dev was interrupted.

"That is precisely what I want to avoid. The older person who will resort to trickery, bribery, deceit, and outright lies. I have found you an honest person. You are young, yes, but I am sure you would fulfill your obligations to your king with honor. Won't you?" The queen asked gently.

"Why yes, your majesty. I would do all I could for my king," Dev answered honestly.

"Then I see no problems with you being appointed as ambassador," the queen stated and handed Dev a sealed letter.

"There is my response to your king. Until we meet again," she said, turned and left the room.

With his answer in hand, Dev was ready to head back.

Going back was going to be easier than coming had been, as the elves knew paths through the forest that horses could take. The elves rarely rode in the forest, though. They preferred to walk, so as to be closer to their beloved trees.

The next day was a bright morning. Dev, Rufio, and an elf named Merowen were riding to the forest as soon as the sun rose. Rufio had said goodbye to his friend and blood brother. The griffin Graywing soared overhead, pacing them until the party entered the forest, where he screeched a farewell.

The elf was going to go all the way to Spriggans with them, and then bring the horses back to Elvenholme. They rode easily and the trip back was definitely faster than trip out. Dev was curious about that. It didn't seem that they had ridden that far.

"I told you these horses were special, Dev. They seem to be able to cut a trip of two weeks down to one, or even faster. Even I don't know how they do it. But they can, and they do," Rufio said by way of explanation.

Finally, one day, they came out of the forest. It was but a short time from there to Spriggans. Dev was astonished at how quickly the trip back to Spriggans had actually gone.

People gaped in astonishment as they saw the group. No one had seen an Elf in around two hundred years, yet they recognized him instantly as being one. He sat his horse proudly, but his ears were the dead give-away. They were as pointed, just as legend said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.