In The King's Army - Cover

In The King's Army

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 10

There was a knock at the door. Dev got up and went to answer it, as this would be his first visitor to his new house. Dev opened the door, and there was Lord Benaldin standing outside in the sleet.

"Well, aren't you going to invite me in? The weather out here is terrible," Lord Benaldin said and made to enter.

Dev moved aside and let his superior into the house.

"So this is the mansion you bought?" Lord Benaldin asked with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Hardly a mansion, my lord. But I do like it a lot," Dev answered sincerely.

"Well, show me around your home," Lord Benaldin suggested, a bit forcefully.

Dev gave him a look, but 'owner's pride' won out, and he took Lord Benaldin on a tour, room by room. Dev introduced his cook, Erica, to Lord Benaldin.

"She is the niece of the cook at the Eagle's Claw Inn, and so far I have not regretted hiring her. I have one other hire, but he goes home to his family during the evening hours.

His name is Ralph Lintle, and he is my maintenance man," Dev said at the completion of the tour.

"A nice place you have here Devlin. I notice that your library is a bit short of books. I have a few extra, and if you tell me what you like, I will send a few over," Lord Benaldin said.

"That would be most kind my lord. Anything to do with magic, and history, would be most welcome, my lord. I am woefully short of knowledge on the history of the kingdom and of other kingdoms as well," Dev answered.

They had moved back to the library by this time, and while the fireplace was burning, there was nothing to read in the room, except for Dev's book of magic.

"You have lived here for two weeks now Devlin, and have not yet invited any of your peers at the palace to a party. You might want to correct that oversight," Lord Benaldin told him.

"I had thought to invite a few my lord, but when the weather cleared up. Say next spring," Dev responded a bit hesitantly.

"I wouldn't wait as long as that. Make it a month from now, unless it is snowing to badly. People will be thankful to have a party to go to. Now then, what are we eating this evening?" Lord Benaldin said, inviting himself to supper.

"Perhaps I should instruct your driver to put your horse and carriage in the carriage house, if you're going to stay much longer. I am sure your driver and horse would appreciate it," Dev told Lord Benaldin who nodded agreement.

Dev produced a bottle of wine that he knew was one of Lord Benaldin's favorites, and gave it to him along with a crystal glass.

"I will return after seeing to your driver, horse, and carriage, my lord," Dev said and left to get his cloak.

Dev went outside and directed Lord Benaldin's driver to take the horse and carriage around back to the carriage house.

He returned to his house and stopped in the kitchen to ask Erica if there was enough for a guest.

"Of course Sir Devlin. I always make enough food to feed at least two more people than are in the house. You never know when guests will drop in," Erica responded cheerfully.

When Dev asked what she was making exactly, she responded a leg of lamb. Dev's mouth watered at the thought. Lamb was his favorite after all.

He returned to find Lord Benaldin examining the little iron stove in the front room.

"I noticed that you have one of these in just about every room," Lord Benaldin commented.

"Yes my lord. I find I like them, and they warm a room well enough in the winter," Dev responded.

"Did you know that the artisan who created these things is making a larger one for kitchens? He is still developing it, but it sounds like a useful item to own if he is successful," Lord Benaldin said.

As the storm worsened outside, it got darker much faster than usual. The sleet had long since turned to snow and it was piling up quickly outside.

"Would you like to stay the night sir? I can put you and your driver up with no problem. I have plenty of space," Dev asked.

Lord Benaldin looked outside at the snow coming down and the depth of it as of now.

"That might be best, Devlin. We can drink your fine wine, and discuss what to do about the mages guild, which is trying to pressure me to get you to translate some spells for them," Lord Benaldin casually stated.

Supper that night was served in the dining room. It was the first time that Dev had had the occasion to use it and he was proud of it. He lit it with magic though, casting little balls of light into the air to hover over them. He lit his house that way.

"Have you thought about lamps as a source of light?" Lord Benaldin asked amused.

"Yes, my lord. When I find the kind I like, I will purchase some. In the meantime, I am more than capable of providing light in my home," Dev responded.

"That you are," was the murmured response

Supper was very good. Erica outdid herself with the lamb. It was served with potatoes and carrots. Lord Benaldin helped himself to several glasses of wine and Dev contented himself with some excellent ale.

After the meal, they retired to the library, and Dev built the fire back up in the fireplace.

"You really need to get something into these bookshelves Devlin. This room looks bare without anything in and on the shelves," Lord Benaldin commented on the obvious.

"I know. It is going to take a bit of time to get the books I want. Don't worry, if you ever come back, it will probably be full then," Dev replied cheerfully.

"All right, let's discuss the situation that seems to be developing. The mages guild is trying to apply pressure on me to have you copy some spells for them. Just what spells are these, and why did you refuse them to begin with?" Lord Benaldin asked curiously.

"Well, my lord, I found a book in the king's library, while we were waiting at that ball, that had a book with two spells in it. I was reading the book when the king entered. He asked to see the book and I passed it over," Dev started.

Lord Benaldin listened as Dev went further into the story, sipping his wine. Dev went on with the subsequent request to see the king's Wizard Wonacky. He explained about the near order to copy the two spells in the book, and then Dev responding with he was not a member of the guild and was not at their beck and call.

"You still have not told me what the spells were," Lord Benaldin said.

"Didn't I? One was a spell of teleportation, and the other a spell of summoning," Dev answered.

"Hmm, no wonder the guild is exerting so much pressure. You can read a book that is known to be from Telgar the mage, and it contains two spells that they would probably give their first born for. Off hand I would say unless the king orders you to, don't give them the spells," Lord Benaldin instructed.

"I had no intention of giving them the spells, my lord. I definitely did not like the way the king's wizard was acting towards me. As a matter of fact, I have placed a number of spells on and in my home, to protect it, its contents, and me, from 'stray' spells coming my way from other magic users," Dev said darkly.

There was a knock on the library door and Dev opened it. The cook Erica was standing outside the door.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.