In The King's Army
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Dev recovered his cloak, after wiping the blood off his sword, with a cloth he had brought just for that purpose. He sheathed his sword, and put his cloak back on. He turned to find Lord Benaldin talking with the strange man who had accompanied them.

Dev approached them, and caught part of their conversation.

"I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it, my lord. I knew of Hara Paskle and his skill with a sword. To have a relative unknown defeat him, and so handily, is astounding," the man was saying.

"Then you acknowledge that Devlin Cantor defeated Paskle in the duel, in a fair and unmagicked manner?" Lord Benaldin asked the man.

"Of course. I detected no magic. It was a magnificent display of swordsmanship, on both their parts. Here are your winnings," the man said, and drew forth two parchments, which he handed to Lord Benaldin.

Lord Benaldin read them both quickly, and then nodded. The two shook hands, and the strange man that had been part of their group mounted his horse and rode off.

"What was that all about?" Dev asked Lord Benaldin.

"I took the liberty of placing a couple bets for us, on the outcome of your duel. Since I had confidence in your ability, I bet on you to win, which you did, handily. By the way, I placed a small bet for you, and this is yours," Lord Benaldin stated, passing a parchment to Dev.

Dev was astonished. First that Lord Benaldin would bet on him, and then that he had placed a bet for him. Dev read the parchment and was astonished to find it was a note allowing the bearer to withdraw up to one hundred gold from a specific merchant.

"You bet on me?" Dev asked stunned.

"Of course. Remember, I have seen you with a sword. You're very good, young man, probably one of the best I have ever seen. I doubt there are more than half a dozen people in the land that could match you! I knew that Hara Paskle was not one of them. So why not take advantage and place a little bet on the outcome?" Lord Benaldin asked as if it were the most reasonable thing to do.

Dev looked at Lord Benaldin then started laughing! He couldn't help it, and he laughed until his sides ached. Lord Benaldin looked at him with mild interest.

"Feel better, now?" Lord Benaldin asked.

"Yes, my lord. What say we go get lunch?" Dev asked.

"Certainly. You buy, as I know you can afford it," Lord Benaldin said jovially.

Days went by and Dev noticed the glances and whisperings from the people in the palace. It was embarrassing at first, and then he started getting a bit angry over the entire thing. Ok, so he had killed someone in a duel, but so had lots of people! What was the problem?

He took his concerns to Lord Benaldin one day, angry over the latest whisperings and silences when he was noticed.

"Devlin, these people are impressed or awed at what you did. Let them whisper and talk. It harms no one, and it enhances your reputation," Lord Benaldin stated matter of factly.

"But, I don't want a reputation," Dev said in a bewildered tone voice.

"Face it, you have been getting a reputation ever since you arrived here. This is just a new page in 'the book of Devlin Cantor'. Now, if we can move on, I want to discuss the Ralm embassy with you," Lord Benaldin said, completely changing the subject.

Dev was walking towards the outer door of the palace to go home for the day when he was stopped. Apparently the king's wizard wanted to see him. Frowning he wondered what the wizard wanted. He had had nothing to do with him since he had arrived, months ago.

Although he had never been there, he knew where the wizard stayed. He had rooms on the second floor. Dev made his way to the stairs and went up them two at a time. He frowned when he noticed that his muscles ached a little from that little bit of exertion.

As he turned to the right, he decided he had to get a bit more exercise. This palace life was not allowing him enough time to get out and work outside. He had been used to long hard work, first on the farm, and then in the army.

He got to the wizards door and knocked. It was opened by a slim man in his forties, with a pointy beard.

"Ah, Sir Cantor, do come in. I have been expecting you," the wizard said pleasantly, opening the door wide for Dev.

Dev entered and looked around. He was in a receiving room that had several comfortable chairs in it, as well as a desk. Two doors were located at opposite sides of the room, leading to other rooms.

"Sit down, please. Would you like some tea? A brandy? Wine?" The wizard asked.

"I would like to try some tea. My old captain in troop D swore by it," Dev replied.

"Excellent. Sit down, and I will only be a moment," wizard Wonacky said and went through one of the doors.

Dev sat on one of the stuffed chairs and noted it was much more comfortable than the chair he had in his room at the inn. He would have to see about buying one of these. While he was waiting, Dev looked out the window, and saw his inn from it. He had not considered people at the palace being able to see his place of residence before.

The wizard came in carrying a large silver tray upon which was two cups and a small steaming pot. He set it down and Dev noticed that a small jar of honey and a spoon was also on the tray.

"I have noted that if you sweeten the tea with a bit of honey, it tastes better. However, that's just me. Feel free to drink it with or without the tea," the wizard offered.

Dev watched as the wizard poured the tea through a small cheesecloth, capturing leaves. Dev noted that the wizard returned the leaves back to the pot. The wizard did this for both cups.

"Steeping the leaves continually makes the subsequent cups a bit stronger. Personally, I like that," the wizard explained.

Dev nodded and took a sip of the hot liquid. Actually, it wasn't bad at all. Dev took a second sip and decided he would have to find a shop that sold this tea, and buy some for himself. He mentioned that to the wizard.

"This tea is not sold here in the north. It is shipped via trade caravan and is my own personal acquisition. I will be glad to give you some to take home with you, or send some to your residence," the wizard stated.

"Oh no, I couldn't. I will experiment with what is sold here in the markets," Dev replied firmly.

"As you like. Now, the reason I have asked you here. The king has informed me that you can read a book purported to be from Telgar the mage. Is this true?" The wizard asked with interest.

"Yes, I can read that book. It had two spells listed in it," Dev answered slowly.

"Excellent! I want you to copy the two spells, and give them to me when you have finished," the wizard said in an almost commanding tone of voice.

Dev bristled at the way the wizard had told him to copy the spells for him.

"Why don't you just copy them yourself?" Dev asked.

"Because, I can't read the script it is written in," the wizard replied.

"Why not? I mean, it is written pretty plain, to me," Dev asked curiously.

"It is a long story. Now, if you will just write the two spells out as written, the guild and I would appreciate it," the wizard almost ordered.

"Wizard Wonacky, while I respect your position, you are not someone I report to. I am not a member of the guild, nor am I subordinate to you," Dev replied, standing as he did so.

Wonacky also stood.

"Please, I did not mean to offend you. Of course you are not subordinate to me. I fear I am becoming an old man who is used to getting his way," Wonacky said by way of apology.

"I doubt we have anymore to discuss, then. Good day, Wizard Wonacky," Dev said with a small bow, and went out the door.

Dev had almost gotten himself back into a good mood by the time he got back to the inn. He checked to see what the inn was serving and was pleased to note that it was lamb. Dev liked lamb almost more than anything else.

He told the innkeeper he wanted a plate of lamb and an ale sent to his table. The innkeeper nodded and Dev made his way to a free table. The Eagle's Claw had a good crowd during meals and seemed to have a good crowd most of the day.

The Eagle's Claw was an inn where you could get something to eat at anytime during the day as well as having a good selection of drink. That was why the inn seemed to be crowded from around one hour before noon until closing.

When the steaming plate of lamb and potatoes arrived, his mouth watered. He dug into the lamb, and it was juicy and cooked just the way he liked it... rare. The Eagle's Claw inn had a very good cook, and Dev hoped she was paid well.

While Dev ate, he considered a few things. He now had more than enough money to buy a house in the city, even at the prices that houses went for here! He was also considering investing in trade caravans. He had some money now, no reason not to put it to work for him.

He sat back, stuffed from his meal. He held up his tankard and a serving girl nodded and came to refill it. As he sat sipping his second ale for the night, he noticed a palace guard come in, carrying a large jar.

He went to the innkeeper who gestured in Dev's direction. The guard saw him and made his way to Dev's table.

"Sir Cantor. I bring you a gift from the Wizard Wonacky, as well as his apology for his seeming rudeness and abruptness. He asks you accept this jar of tea as a gift, free and clear of any obligation," the guard recited.

Dev gestured for the guard to set it on the table. The guard also pulled out a folded parchment with instructions on how best to make the tea. Dev thanked the guard and told him to tell the Wizard that he bore no hard feelings.

This brought the meeting with the wizard back to Dev's immediate attention. Why was it that no one could read the spells in that book? Dev had never had any problems with reading the book he had bought from that peddler down south, or the book in the library.

Shaking his head, he got up, picking up his jar of tea. It was a nice present, and since it had no strings attached to it, he saw no reason not to keep it. Besides, he liked tea. He didn't sweeten it like he had seen others do. He thought it tasted fine as it was served, straight from the pot.

He went upstairs and checked the spell on his door. It was in place as usual. He canceled it and went in. He set the large jar on the table, and thought it might be time to fire up the stove. It was downright chilly in the room.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.