In The King's Army - Cover

In The King's Army

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 8

Dev was still bemused by the whole experience of being knighted, as this was something he had never expected. Firstly, he had not ever really trained as a knight. Secondly, he was not a member of any of the nobility. Usually, knights came from the ranks of the nobility.

While it was not unheard of for a commoner to be knighted, it was unusual. While he had been uncomfortable the first few times someone addressed him as 'Sir Cantor', Lord Benaldin told him he would get used to it in time, and congratulated him on his new title.

It was fall, again. While the air was getting chilly, the day was very nice. Dev decided to take the day off, and go riding. He informed Lord Benaldin of his intentions. He was told to enjoy himself.

While he had gotten used to being in the city, his training with Lord Benaldin was such that he still kept his eyes open. He also cast an awareness spell, which would inform him of anyone's long-term attention to himself, from anyone close by.

'It is a handy thing, being able to do magic', Dev thought to himself.

Dressed in his newly tailored clothing and wearing his new cloak, Dev thought he looked very good indeed. He had chosen green for the color of his tunic and trousers, black boots, and a dark forest green for his cloak.

His horse was glad to be out of the stables, and he pranced as he went along. Dev smiled at that, and patted his horse's neck. He would have to pay more attention to his horse. The horse was a tall leggy bay, and had a distance-eating stride.

His horse could trot for hours at a time, and never tire. He could even cantor for long periods, with just short breaks in between. After leaving the city, Dev nudged his horse into a cantor and was headed down the east road. This was his first excursion out of the city.

An hour later he came to a manor house. It was a large, two story affair. It was made of fieldstone. There were a number of people working around the outside of it. He turned into the road leading up to it and reigned in.

"Hello, how may I help you," an old man asked Dev.

"I was wondering if I might get some water for my horse? While I brought a little with me, I was thinking to find a stream or river for him to drink from by now," Dev answered.

"Of course, my lord," the man said.

"Actually, I am only Sir Cantor. I am not a lord," Dev responded to that wrong form of address.

"My apologies, Sir Cantor. I meant no offense," the old man said.

"None taken. Feel free to promote me all you wish," Dev responded good-naturedly.

Dev was led to a watering trough. He let his horse drink its fill. Dev talked with the man, and was told that the estate was owned by a Lord Mumphry, and that he and his lady were currently at their residence in the city.

"Well, this is certainly a beautiful home from what I have seen. Thank you for the water," Dev said to the old man.

Dev remounted his horse, and road back to the East Road. There, he paused. He was beginning to get hungry. While he had money on his person, he didn't know how far it was to an inn. He should have asked at the house.

He sighed, and turned his horse back to the direction of Taslon. This time, he paid more attention to the little cottages that dotted the landscape as he went towards the city. He noted that all of the fields had been harvested, and were empty now.

By the time Dev got back to the city, he was well and truly hungry. He decided he would not wait till he got to the Eagles Claw to eat. He would stop at the first inn that he saw.

About five minutes into the city he found a likely place to eat.

The sign proclaimed it the Stags Head Inn. He left his horse outside with a boy who accepted a copper penny from Dev, as he assured Dev that the horse would be looked after until Dev returned for him.

Dev entered the inn, and took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the dark interior. A long bar took up most of one side of the inn. Rough plank long tables were placed in the center of the room.

He could smell cabbage in the air, as well as a number of unwashed human bodies. He almost changed his mind, but hunger won out. He went to the bar and asked what the innkeeper had that was ready to eat.

"Cabbage soup and venison," the innkeeper responded.

"Very well. I will have that, and a tankard of your best ale," Dev ordered.

Dev soon found a wooden bowl of soup, eating utensils, a plate of venison, and a tankard of ale set before him. He paid the innkeeper, and started eating. The spell he had cast earlier to detect interest in himself, was informing him that almost everyone in the inn was interested in him.

While he was eating, Dev took the opportunity to glance around casually. Most of the people in this inn were dressed in homespun clothing. A few had better clothing, but not many. Dev was definitely the best dressed in the entire inn.

As he was finishing his meal, which was not to bad at all, he had noticed a man who was coughing frequently into a rag he was using as a handkerchief. Thinking quickly, Dev

got up and went over to the man.

"Excuse me, Goodman, but that cough sounds very bad. Have you had a healer look into it for you?" Dev asked with real concern.

"I have no money for healers. I know what it is. It will do for me, and soon, if I am any judge," the man responded bitterly.

Dev took only a moment to think about it. His compassion won out, and he took out his flask of 'potion' he had taken to carrying with him at all times, and unscrewed the cap. He poured a cap full of the golden liquid into it, and told the man to drink it down.

The man took the cap and emptied it into his mouth, swallowing quickly.

"Here, now! That was not a shot of brandy," the man said indignantly.

"No, it wasn't. That was a dose of potion," Dev responded quietly.

"Potion? You wasted potion on the likes of me?" The man gasped out.

"What do you mean, 'the likes of you'? You're a man aren't you? That's enough for me," Dev responded angrily.

"I meant no offense, my lord. It's just potion is so expensive and I can't pay you for it," the man said, breathing much better by now.

"I don't recall asking you for payment. I saw a man in need. I happened to have had something that would help him. So I helped him," Dev responded gently.

"My name is Ralph Lintel. If you ever need for anything, you just come down to the east end. Most know where to find me. Can I ask your name, my lord?" Ralph asked.

"I am Captain Sir Devlin Cantor of His Majesty's Horse. I am not a lord, but a Knight!" Dev responded proudly.

"Well, Sir Devlin, you have my thanks," the man said.

He was almost in tears with his immense gratitude.

"You are welcome. I was glad to help you," Dev responded, going back to his place to finish his ale.

Dev finished up, and went outside. He saw the boy standing by his horse. He thanked the boy, and gave him another copper penny. The boy's eyes lit up at the extra payment. Dev smiled at that, wondering at how such a simple thing could bring a person such pleasure.

He mounted and was ready to leave when the door opened and a man hurried to him.

"Excuse me, Sir Devlin, but could you help my little one? She is awful sick with an infection. Please? I only live round the corner," the man begged.

Dev thought about it for a moment, then decided to help. He hated the idea of children being ill. Dev nodded to the man. He rode as the man jogged ahead of him, leading the way.

It was a very small house, of just two rooms that the man led Dev into. As Dev dismounted, he cast a spell over his horse, to ensure it would still be there when he got back.

Dev entered the little house behind the man, and saw that a sleeping pallet had been placed close to the fireplace, so the little girl would stay warm. The home was simple and clean, but sparsely furnished. A woman sat on the floor by the girl, holding a wet rag to the girl's forehead.

Dev took one look at the little girl, and knew pity and concern. She was flushed and sweating, and her left hand was swollen at least twice its normal size, and discolored. Dev quickly went to the girl and kneeled.

He took out his flask, and poured a cap full of the potion into the little girl after getting her mother to sit her up a bit. The effect was startling to say the least. The girl had been panting before, but now her breathing slowed to a more normal pattern.

The swelling on her left hand and arm started to reduce to a more normal size. Her color started to return to normal. Soon her eyes opened and she stared up at the people looking down at her.

"Mama?" The little girl asked.

With a cry, the woman wrapped her arms around the little girl, hugging her tightly.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.